Options

Stopping a dog eating a dressing!!

MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
Forum Member
✭✭✭
the family dog has got a tumour type growth on his back leg and it has to have a dressing on it to stop him from licking it and making it very sore & exposed..
however he started eating the dressing when left alone so the vets gave him one of those cones to wear when he wasn't being watched.. but he's now figured out how he can still get to it even with the cone on.
Obviously it's alright when he is being supervised him as we can stop him from touching it, but he can't be watched 24/7.
And due to his age, its likely he s going to have to have a dressing on this until he passes away so is there a trick to getting a dog to stop eating dressings?
Tried putting mustard and chilli powder on it to keep him from chewing it but that seemed to make him love it more.
Currently trying a muzzle on him, but the problem with that is he can't drink water so it's not the best solution. :(

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to the vet and get a better sized elizabethan collar/cone as I have a feeling if he can still get at it he isn't wearing the right size.
  • Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Back to the vet and get a better sized elizabethan collar/cone as I have a feeling if he can still get at it he isn't wearing the right size.

With the cone he had he found maneuvering around very difficult as he s a very big dog so a bigger one would cause more problems for him, it seems actually since i posted this that he s managing to sip water through his muzzle gaps which is good. :)