Options

What flag do you have on your car number plates ..

1235»

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Please explain how so? and it isn't a valid comparison. The EU as much as you'd like it to be isn't one country. The USA despite different state laws is. There is no comparison whatsoever.
    At no point have I said I wanted the EU to be a single country. In fact if you read my posts again you'll see that I'm advocating holding on to our culture and national identity. That's the problem with Euro-sceptics like you - you don't understand what is trying to be achieved. Very few people want a USoE to be a single homogeneous culture. We want it to be a group of different countries working together for the common good. That's kind of the point. We love the idea of being able to travel and see different cultures - just without the hassle of international travel. We relish the challenge of trying to get different people to work together - it makes life interesting.

And the US is a very good example of that. The US does not have one single language:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States

They do not share one culture. Someone living in Louisiana lives a very different life to someone in California or Minnesota or New York. Although they have an overarching federal legal system each state has it's own laws and they can be quite different.

I'll concede that most US citizens do admire the constitution but there are also significant numbers of people who would like to see their state leave the union. Texas, California and Florida in particular have quite strong movements. To say nothing of the various militia groups scattered around.

And of course historically the US was colonised by lots of European states. It is therefore an excellent example of what happens when Europeans agree to work together. Warts and all. It's particularly worth noting that some states don't do as well out of the arrangements as others.

Although, ironically considering this thread, one area where the USA is not consistent is in number plates. It's actually a problem for them because it makes implementing a universal license plate reader more difficult.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I'm ashamed for you to mention someones post. It's against forum rules to criticise spelling or grammar.

Well if that's true then it's a bit of a stupid rule.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    what does it mean to be "European?"
    Citizen of a European country, at a WILD guess...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's usually because the people being criticised are ashamed of their poor education...
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    Citizen of a European country, at a WILD guess...

So you can answer that, but why not the question of what it means to be British?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you can answer that, but why not the question of what it means to be British?
    To me, being British, is being a citizen of the UK. That's it.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to keep me occupied on the walk home from work this evening, I was looking at cars, and i should think only about one in 20 cars have some sort of flag on their registrations plates and of those that do, most had the E.u stars on.

so it seems not many people other with those symbols on their plates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    riceuten wrote: »
    To me, being British, is being a citizen of the UK. That's it.
    I am British, I am a citizen, because I have live elsewhere for many years is anyone in the UK a citizen? its more likely a subject
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    I own a British-made car.

I do this because I actually do support the businesses and workers of this country, rather than making pathetic anti-EU froth in lieu of putting my money where my mouth is.

Dousing a number plate in Tipp-Ex (another foreign product, what a surprise) -- how ridiculous.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a brand new car and it has no European Flag or British flag, it is flagless, which is just how I like it. :)
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Just to keep me occupied on the walk home from work this evening, I was looking at cars, and i should think only about one in 20 cars have some sort of flag on their registrations plates and of those that do, most had the E.u stars on.

so it seems not many people other with those symbols on their plates.

Mine could have been one of those you walked past. It has the blue bit with the EU stars on the plate. And a GB plate, also with EU stars. Not that I'm notably pro Europe, though I cannot for the life of me see how anyone could be worse than the last 10 or so GB governments, so we might as well try the EU
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    I've got the EU plate with GB on it. I'm a citizen of the UK and therefore a citizen of the EU, and I don't have an issue with that. Mind you, I'd have plain plates if I never drove abroad - it's nice not to have to faff about with a GB sticker, as I'm not a sticker kind of person. The tax disc is bad enough :D
  • Options
    CigaretteSmokerCigaretteSmoker Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »

I do this because I actually do support the businesses and workers of this country, rather than making pathetic anti-EU froth in lieu of putting my money where my mouth is.

Dousing a number plate in Tipp-Ex (another foreign product, what a surprise) -- how ridiculous.

What a stupid statement. Having the flag of an organisation that seeks to be a superstate on your number plate is not comparable to using a foreign product to get rid of it.

No one is saying that the UK can't buy foreign products, just that it is not in this country's best interest to be part of an organisation that wants total control of previously independent states.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    No one is saying that the UK can't buy foreign products, just that it is not in this country's best interest to be part of an organisation that wants total control of previously independent states.

And they're doing it through car number plates?
    What a shabby trick!
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member

You are no patriot sir.

And neither are the rest of your ilk -- just a bunch of old farts who, after spending your entire lives putting down British industry, selfishly buying overseas products and creating the UK that we live in, then seek to blame an institution that you yourselves voted to stay in.

You make me sick. Go on, mess about with your Tipp-Ex if it makes you feel better, hypocrites.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Manx flag and GBM symbol.

Although I mainly live in the UK, the car is registered to my address in the IOM.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the EU circle of stars, so when I go abroad, I am legal without needing a further sticker.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. It's a Honda.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    I have a proper number plate with the EU flag.

My number plate hasn't any badges on it, but it still complies with the size, font and spacing requirements, hence it too is a "proper" number plate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    then seek to blame an institution that you yourselves voted to stay in.

CigaretteSmoker didn't vote to remain in the EU.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    At no point have I said I wanted the EU to be a single country. In fact if you read my posts again you'll see that I'm advocating holding on to our culture and national identity. That's the problem with Euro-sceptics like you - you don't understand what is trying to be achieved. Very few people want a USoE to be a single homogeneous culture. We want it to be a group of different countries working together for the common good. That's kind of the point. We love the idea of being able to travel and see different cultures - just without the hassle of international travel. We relish the challenge of trying to get different people to work together - it makes life interesting.

Of course they are trying to create a single culture and a single country called Europe. You only have to see how they are trying to harmonise laws and interfere with political structures across Europe.
    And the US is a very good example of that. The US does not have one single language:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_United_States

It doesn't officially in Law, but it is widely acknowledged that English is the first and most widely spoken language in the USA. And immigrants to the US usually want to learn English.
    They do not share one culture. Someone living in Louisiana lives a very different life to someone in California or Minnesota or New York. Although they have an overarching federal legal system each state has it's own laws and they can be quite different.

Have to disagree with you here. Yes, their lifestyle might be different in various states but in each of the 50 states people share traditions, and celebrate things like independence day etc. They also share a English as a first language.
    I'll concede that most US citizens do admire the constitution but there are also significant numbers of people who would like to see their state leave the union. Texas, California and Florida in particular have quite strong movements. To say nothing of the various militia groups scattered around.

There are plenty of citizens of the EU that would like to leave the union. The vast majority of Americans are much more patriotic than most citizens of EU countries.
    Although, ironically considering this thread, one area where the USA is not consistent is in number plates. It's actually a problem for them because it makes implementing a universal license plate reader more difficult.

Why should they have to have consistent number plates?