Options

Do you believe politicians ?

OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am totally cynical where they are concerned. I reckon as soon as their mouths move they are lying. I hate the way they keep using statistics to prove a point, as statistics very fliexible.

Comments

• Options
    quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put all politicians into a large sack - then hit the sack with a large wooden stick - You will hit the liar every time.
  • Options
    Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This quote from Immanuel Kant should warn you of the dangers on cynicism
    “Skepticism is thus a resting-place for human reason, where it can reflect upon its dogmatic wanderings and make survey of the region in which it finds itself, so that for the future it may be able to choose its path with more certainty. But it is no dwelling-place for permanent settlement. Such can be obtained only through perfect certainty in our knowledge, alike of the objects themselves and of the limits within which all our knowledge of objects is enclosed.”

“Skepticism is a resting place for human reason, where it can reflect upon its dogmatic wanderings, but it is no dwelling place for permanent settling. Simply to acquiesce in skepticism can never suffice to overcome the restlessness of reason.”

Critique of Pure Reason
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    No ...........
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Oldnbold wrote: »
    I am totally cynical where they are concerned. I reckon as soon as their mouths move they are lying. I hate the way they keep using statistics to prove a point, as statistics very fliexible.

Not always, but more than that I have actually caught out politicians outright lying - either that or incompetent to such a degree they should not be in charge of a whelk stall.

It was during the Section 660a controversy - the Labour government were adamant that when independent taxation of spouses was brought in they did not expect married couples to split the shares between them. It was not difficult to show that only did the Government at the time expect it, that they answered a question about it. That was in Hansard - now what are you going to believe. That an MP was incapable of searching Hansard or they did and hoped nobody else could?
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ha.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When politicians say things like: "There will be no top-down reorganisation of the NHS, it's safe in my hands", and then do the opposite, it makes it hard to think politicans have any interest in telling the truth.

When politicians say that they will protect the most vulnerable people in society during austerity cuts, and yet do the opposite, it makes it difficult to carry on believing politicians.

When politicians say that they are doing their best for the country, but then sell off the Post Office for a song so that their wealthy mates can make a killing, it makes it hard to have any trust in anything politicians say.

There are lies, damn lies, statistics, and then there are politicians – welcome to Westminster.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of course not.

they are practiced in the arts of dissembling, and a politician never ever apologizes.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with a healthy dose of scepticism especially when it comes to politicians who bring are past masters of the phrase 'economical with the truth'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deconstruction of the truth with the intention of reconstruction and distortion to mislead people, aided and abetted by the media.
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Politicians answer questions with questions.

In answer to your question though.

Politicians are lying bastards.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a healthy dose of scepticism especially when it comes to politicians who bring are past masters of the phrase 'economical with the truth'.

I think that one has been updated to "misspeaking".