Options

Why do people self harm?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I first started when I was 12 maybe 13 years old.
    <snipped>

So if you are a self harmer or someone trying to help a self harmer don't feel alone.
    People will support you.

When you are at you're lowest it doesn't mean you're at the end of you're book.
    It means you are at the beginning of a new Chapter.

From
    Someone who knows.

Everything will be ok.
    Just give it time.
    What a thoughtful and lovely post. Thanks for writing that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you break your arm people take notice, if your mentally ill its brushed aside, self harming cures this, its a cry for help in my opinion.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    it`s compulsive for me and i hide it, only my psych and one friend know of it.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    If you break your arm people take notice, if your mentally ill its brushed aside, self harming cures this, its a cry for help in my opinion.

For some people maybe, it certainly wasn't for me. I wore long sleeve shirts for about 2 years to cover my scars. Nobody knew except my wife and parents.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krytenk wrote: »
    To be able to *feel* something. Anything. Anything to stop the numbness of a real deep depression.

Yes, I know someone who did it for this reason.
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was bullied throughout primary school, and then at high school it was both in school and online. I was also coming to terms with (and trying to understand) the fact I was gay.

The things that were being said to me, made me convinced I was a bad person, and needed to be punished. So I punished myself by cutting myself.

Like others, it did become a coping mechanism, so anytime I was sad or angry, even if it wasn't anything major, it's what I did.

Last year I ended up in a relationship with someone else who self harmed, and she used it against me - anything we disagreed on, if I went out with my workmakes, and didn't take her, she'd do it to guilt trip me. and so we'd have a huge row, I'd be upset and end up hurting myself.

5 and a half years later, I've been free for almost a year from cutting myself. I do get sparse but bad panic attacks (one took 3 days before I felt "normal" again), and during those I've tried smashing bottles over my arms, and when my anxiety gets bad, I self conciously scratch my hands and arms until they bleed. Thats only happened once over the past year. So i'm getting there!

But it was never for attention, I kept it secret for a long time.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    For attention.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I used to self harm as a teenager. I would go to great lengths to hide the marks, long sleeves in summer, lots of bracelets things that I could get away with that didn't draw attention to me(it was useful being into grunge and Metal as it wasn't unusual).

I was bullied as a teenager and was quite lonely. I left school at 16 which wasn't planned and went to the local college and I was going through all the usual teenage angst when I met a guy who I became best friends with(we became inseparable) and one night he was talking to me about something when he said that he self-harmed and that he found it helped with the pain and that I should try it. I did a few days later and he was right. It was a way of blanking out how I was feeling as just for a moment all my troubles would disappear. The last time I did it I think I was about 23 and I was really frustrated and upset, what was worse though was the fact that I hadn't done it for 4 years.

It was definitely not for attention or a cry for help because if it was then I would have done it much more obviously and made them more noticeable. As it is I look at my scars these days and think how lucky I am that they have faded.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lot of derision attached to those who self harm for apparently 'attention seeking' reasons. So much so that people are compelled to make clear they weren't attention seeking. But even if they were, so what? Surely some who is so in need of help or feels so devoid of attention that they are willing to and feel the need to resort to hurting themselves to get it is fully entitled to sympathy/help?
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Does anyone who has self-harmed to punish themselves consider that it was a defence from anticipated or expected punishment from others ?
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I used to self harm as a teenager. I would go to great lengths to hide the marks, long sleeves in summer, lots of bracelets things that I could get away with that didn't draw attention to me(it was useful being into grunge and Metal as it wasn't unusual).

I was bullied as a teenager and was quite lonely. I left school at 16 which wasn't planned and went to the local college and I was going through all the usual teenage angst when I met a guy who I became best friends with(we became inseparable) and one night he was talking to me about something when he said that he self-harmed and that he found it helped with the pain and that I should try it. I did a few days later and he was right. It was a way of blanking out how I was feeling as just for a moment all my troubles would disappear. The last time I did it I think I was about 23 and I was really frustrated and upset, what was worse though was the fact that I hadn't done it for 4 years.

It was definitely not for attention or a cry for help because if it was then I would have done it much more obviously and made them more noticeable. As it is I look at my scars these days and think how lucky I am that they have faded.

BIB: Do self harmers often suggest self harming to friends or whatever? Seems a pretty sick thing to suggest someone tries.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    BIB: Do self harmers often suggest self harming to friends or whatever? Seems a pretty sick thing to suggest someone tries.

It was 20 years ago and I don't remember to the exact words but I do know we had been drinking and getting really depressed about stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    It was 20 years ago and I don't remember to the exact words but I do know we had been drinking and getting really depressed about stuff.

Yeah never a great combination.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    There's a lot of derision attached to those who self harm for apparently 'attention seeking' reasons. So much so that people are compelled to make clear they weren't attention seeking. But even if they were, so what? Surely some who is so in need of help or feels so devoid of attention that they are willing to and feel the need to resort to hurting themselves to get it is fully entitled to sympathy/help?

For me it is because attention seeking has very negative connotations, it is a term that is rarely, if ever, used in a positive light
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also 'attention seeking' sounds so dismissive.... people who self harm are usually in severe psychological distress and to have that dismissed is unbearable.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Also 'attention seeking' sounds so dismissive.... people who self harm are usually in severe psychological distress and to have that dismissed is unbearable.

Definitely! People should stop and think before using the phrase 'attention-seeking'. It's very insensitive and harmful.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Definitely! People should stop and think before using the phrase 'attention-seeking'. It's very insensitive and harmful.

Yes of course it is and goes along with the useless phrase of pull yourself together from anyone totally smug and ignorant of and very lucky not to have mental health issues. Do they dare say such stupid things to anyone suffering from physical illness?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Yes of course it is and goes along with the useless phrase of pull yourself together from anyone totally smug and ignorant of and very lucky not to have mental health issues. Do they dare say such stupid things to anyone suffering from physical illness?

Someone once said to me "It could be worse, you could be one of those kids starving in Africa" This was when I was in my 20's and I thought what the hell has that got to do with anything. I guess they'd argue it was 'tough love' which is very subjective in itself.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

Good point.Cutting isn't a selfish need to be the centre of attention - it is a silent scream of desperation and despair and should be treated seriously.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Someone once said to me "It could be worse, you could be one of those kids starving in Africa" This was when I was in my 20's and I thought what the hell has that got to do with anything. I guess they'd argue it was 'tough love' which is very subjective in itself.

Yes and total BS. Do people use tough love with anyone suffering from a physical illness? No. Mental illness can be just as life threatening as any physical illness. It's simply ignorance and fear to regard it in any other way..
  • Options
    quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the terms "attention seeking" and "a cry for help" blah blah blah. Just annoys me.

However I have been struggling with this for more than 20 years. I havent done it for a little over 4 now and started when I was approx 11. I hid my scars for 15 years and only got found out because I went totally off the rails. I also have BPD...apparently.

However I am really struggling today, I had a nightmare time with the jobcentre - and it still comes up in my head - Kinda like a "devil" and "Angel" scenario.

I was bullied terribly in my school years, and it was my way of coping. Unfortunately it is still prevalent in my adult years too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Good point.Cutting isn't a selfish need to be the centre of attention - it is a silent scream of desperation and despair and should be treated seriously.

as a former cutter myself I always kept it well hidden, I hid my scars, never told anyone what I was doing. If I was attention seeking surely I would show it off?
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Self-harm has really begun to reach epidemic proportions in my son's school. About half his class (apparently) do it and he personally knows dozens of kids who do it / have done it.

I think this is perhaps what is meant when people are doing it for attention - there are probably a few tortured souls amongst them who are really struggling but there must be other less sympathy-worthy reasons for many of them doing it. It's a shame because it makes people a little cynical about self-harm when it is as common in young teenagers as owning a pet.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    as a former cutter myself I always kept it well hidden, I hid my scars, never told anyone what I was doing. If I was attention seeking surely I would show it off?

Exactly.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attention seeking? I can't even wear a t-shirt around my own family.

I'm ashamed of my scars, but at the same time, I do talk about it because I want to help other people see it gets better.

Problem is, often, discussions on self-harm can be quite triggering for people.

I felt that I deserved punishment, but I never wanted people to know I was a bad person, so I kept it to myself, well mostly, after being kept in hospital because I was a danger to myself, people started to become aware, such as the psychiatrist..