Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    How was she supposed to know it was his?

God, it was clearly in the audio, I think it was Kate or Nancy who told her it's Iain.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it, with her standard of interviewing she will just read a few lame scripted jokes.

Keep reading, I've changed my mind to maybe but probably not. :)
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    seellee wrote: »
    I can't believe people are going over the top. It's a programme about f***ing cakes!

You do realise the winner of this competition has amazing opportunities to go off and easily create a multi-million pound baking empire? The winner usually opens up bakeries around the country, puts together inspiring cook books that sell in the millions, and they get to make hundreds upon hundreds of TV appearances promoting their baking business, the whole shabang - a true bakers dream is at stake here. It's a lot more than a programme about cakes.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    You do realise the winner of this competition has amazing opportunities to go off and easily create a multi-million pound baking empire? The winner usually opens up bakeries around the country, puts together inspiring cook books that sell in the millions, and they get to make hundreds upon hundreds of TV appearances promoting their baking business, the whole shabang - a true bakers dream is at stake here. It's a lot more than a programme about cakes.
    In terms of opportunities & money-making potential, I think that, purposely or otherwise, you have really over-egged the pudding there.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Too many programmes on TV these days are "bigged" up to make them more controversial and entertaining, We see this particularly in the Eddie Stobart series, Coach Trip Grand Designs, On the Yorkshire Buses,.Kitchen Nightmares, Masterchef, Deadliest Catch, Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity and of course there will be some kind of contestant controversy in Britains Got Talent, The Voice, Tumble, Got to Dance, etc, etc.

The more controversy and excitement they can create the more viewers they will get.
    Or people realise what they're doing and switch off.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of those upset about this fiasco should write a complaint to the regulator OFGEM immediately and have them launch a full investigation. I've just finished a three page letter outlining my thoughts on the debacle, and posted it to them registered post, and I urge others to do the same (if you really care, otherwise well whatever carry on complaining here and nothing will get done). The more of us who complain the more likely for those culpable for this mess to pay the price.

Why not go the whole way and ask for a judge led public inquiry then could go up to the Human Rights people ...... :):):)

Surprised that the politicians have not jumped on the bandwagon, probably only because there is so much going on in the news this week.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So you (and others here) who were not present but watching an edited show on a relatively small TV screen (that by definition will only be able to show one perspective of the room) disbelieve someone who was actually present in the room at the time ......
    I am very careful what I believe with any reality programme and bakeoff is a reality programme

I can only surmise that she must have been standing right next to that freezer and bench and known that it was Ians icecream to time it so accurately
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Do you know how much authors get paid for their books? 10% of the retail price. So if it sells for £12.99, they get £1.30 per book sold. So if they sell 5,000 copies they get £6,500. Hardy a fortune for all the time and effort involved - a year to write and have a book published is quick and it's certainly not enough to give up a well-paid job and live on.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old BBC.

Continually lambasted last year because there was too much miserable cow Ruby whinging and whining and now they've gone and landed Diana in the poo.

They probably thought Iain's meltdown was TV gold but instead they've caused another mega fan furore against another baker.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you (and others here) who were not present but watching an edited show on a relatively small TV screen (that by definition will only be able to show one perspective of the room) disbelieve someone who was actually present in the room at the time ......

It's not a matter of disbelief. Why didn't she intercept the Alaska and bung it in another freezer. If she's not allowed to that but had her eye on it every second it was out why didn't she tell Iain to do it?
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a programme about f***ing cakes. It's the middle classes version of The X factor. Nothing more nothing less.

It's the first time I've ever watched it and I was expecting some nice baking show. Instead the BBC have just got another reality show that they can edit to make people look good or bad. I wasn't naive enough to believe any of it and I can't believe people still fall for this kind of stuff and take it so seriously!
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    It's a programme about f***ing cakes. It's the middle classes version of The X factor. Nothing more nothing less.

It's the first time I've ever watched it

Yeah it shows it's your first time because previously they have made pies, biscuits, breads, puds, and an assortment of other baked delicacies.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a programme about f***ing cakes!

I think you're getting confused with American Pie, easy mistake to make...
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen Diana becoming an epic villainess <333

:D
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    You can use a blowtorch to glaze the meringue without putting it in the oven at all.

You can, but then it is not a BAKED Alaska is it, it is a scorched Alaska. The meringue will not be oven cooked, hot and crispy on the outside, which, imo is essential to the pudding. It will be a bit browned off, rather like Iain:D
  • Options
    looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How was she supposed to know it was his?
    We heard her being told it was Iain's - so I think she knew it was his.

Whilst I still believe that Iain is the master of his own downfall, you can see both sides. Diana went to her allocated freezer space, in a time short situation and someone was taking up her space. But ( unless it was edited out), she didn't call out that she was taking someone else's out of the freezer and they should come & claim it.
  • Options
    SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That puzzled me also. Mary and Paul do seem to like her so could be they are being careful to not make it look as if they are favouring her because of her youth.

Her self-saucing pudding welded Paul's mouth shut - would seem strange to award her Star Baker.
    Richard deserved it - my money is on him to win.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy last night's episode and now I'm even more annoyed to find out it was edited in a very misleading way. I really disliked the demonisation of Ruby last year and I hope the programme makers are not deliberately trying to create another hate figure this year.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28965207
    don't touch other peoples stuff and you wont get tagged. sounds simplistic but she still isn't making the connection why did she even touch it?
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    In terms of opportunities & money-making potential, I think that, purposely or otherwise, you have really over-egged the pudding there.

A self-sourcing pudding.... of course! :p
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    Couple of thoughts on last night (apart from the obvious),

I still think they are being very hard on Norman - his Sticky Toffee Pudding looked ok, he wasn't last in the Technical and his Alaska was ok (ice-cream set and meringue looked ok) so why were they presenting him as bottom 2 material again...

I think Chetna was lucky - her puddings didn't really work and her Alaska looked a bit of a mess.

If Iain hadn't thrown his in the bin it would have been interesting to see who else was considered bottom 2 with Norman, because from what I saw, I think Chetna could have been and on balance she was probably no better than Norman over the 3 rounds but I suspect he would have ended up going.
  • Options
    ricardoyluciaricardoylucia Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be glad when Diana and Norman leave ... just find them boring.

Diana is coming out this show quite badly. Presume down to the editing again.

I read somewhere that Sue Perkins said the show is about cakes, baking etc, but forgets to mention that the show is also about the personalities of the contestants.

We were also surprised in our house that Martha was not chosen star baker.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tweet from Iain. Not the strongest of defences, but a defence of sorts nonetheless - or at least a request to let the subject drop.
    https://twitter.com/iain_watters/status/504906650642554880
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

It's the first time I've ever watched it and I was expecting some nice baking show. Instead the BBC have just got another reality show that they can edit to make people look good or bad. I wasn't naive enough to believe any of it and I can't believe people still fall for this kind of stuff and take it so seriously!

The first couple of series were much better with a lot more focus on the baking.

Over the last few years it really has becoming 'middle class X Factor with cakes!'. I really went off it last year and have only watched one episode of this new series. It's now stale and predictable.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be glad when Diana and Norman leave ... just find them boring.

Diana is coming out this show quite badly. Presume down to the editing again.

I read somewhere that Sue Perkins said the show is about cakes, baking etc, but forgets to mention that the show is also about the personalities of the contestants.

We were also surprised in our house that Martha was not chosen star baker.

completely agree.
    the rest of this years contestants seem very nice just cant take to Diana from the start
    Norman just seems to be treading water week on week.