The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    It would have to add 1.9m. It goes that high with lower overnights. It's adding at least 1.8m since its move to BBC1 but anything is possible!
    Day 1 timeshift is usually around 50% of the total so it should reach 10m in the end.
  • Ben_PainterBen_Painter Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Anyone have the current New Tricks timeshift?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day 1 timeshift is usually around 50% of the total so it should reach 10m in the end.

For last week's Bake Off it timeshifted 1.1m in two days, this week it did it after 1.

Some timeshift figures for August 20th's Bake Off from Yog.

Day 1: 900k
    Day 2: 362k
    Day 3: 233k
    Day 4: 88k
    Day 5: 79k

It will either slow down or could yet reach 1.9m in timeshift this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For last week's Bake Off it timeshifted 1.1m in two days
    And ended up adding 1.8m. So we could be looking at a timeshift around 2.3m this week. Wowsers!
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And ended up adding 1.8m. So we could be looking at a timeshift around 2.3m this week. Wowsers!

Not sure it will bbe that much. 1.8-1.9m seems more likely.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure it will bbe that much. 1.8-1.9m seems more likely.

Agreed, plus I imagine a lot of people wanted to watch Wednesday's episode at their earliest convenience once they seen the reaction that it got.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still saying 2m+ ;-)
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I think only good things can come of this clash/ The boadcasters will learn a lesson from this clash. If The X Factor thrashes Strictly, then the BBc will learn not to clash both shows. If Strictly preview thrashes XF (would be embarrassing if it did) then ITV will not to play silly games.

And really I think ITV should spend more time creating a strong schedule than trying to dent Strictly.

Personally I wish Strictly was against Corrie, knocked it down to its lowest ever rating and gave the ITV bosses a BIG wake up call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am frankly astounded by those figures for Bake-Off, incredible.

The press surrounding it and complaints is daft. All this press coverage is the kind of XF tabloid guff that most of you on here dislike. Have the BBC got in on the act and will this tarnish the GBBO brand. It we get more of these (unlikely I imagine) but if we do, it could mean viewers go off it quicker (like with XF) than if it was a silent giant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like this is the confirmed Strictly Come Dancing line-up (spoilers, obviously)
    Tim Wonnacott, 61, Antiques Expert
    Jennifer Gibney, 58, Actress
    Judy Murray, 55, Tennis Coach & Fed Cup Captain
    Gregg Wallace, 49, Masterchef Judge
    Jake Wood, 42, Eastenders Actor
    Sunetra Sarker, 41, Casualty Actress
    Steve Backshall, 41, Naturalist & TV Presenter
    Scott Mills, 40, Radio 1 DJ
    Alison Hammond, 39, This Morning Presenter
    Simon Webbe, 36, Blue Singer
    Caroline Flack, 34, TV Presenter
    Thom Evans, 29, Rugby Player
    Mark Wright, 27, TV Personality & DJ
    Frankie Bridge, 25, The Saturdays Singer
    Pixie Lott, 23, Singer
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    I think this could be one of "Strictly Come Dancing" highest rated years. The contestants are closely matched.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    I don't know what the fuss is about. Strictly is only a preview programme so it's hardly a proper clash.

Strictly has a recent track record of beating Corrie on a Sunday and Corrie is currently well down year-on-year so I think Stictly Preview wiould have beaten Corrie. I predict it will lose to X Factor.

I think Strictly Preview would have been better off against Corrie than X Factor but the BBC have put it on against X Factor to let ITV know that they won't let ITV push them around.

Yes I don't think there is much doubt regarding that. The preview, although it has grown, is just a glorified walk on introduction. It can feel like a bit of a let down as well because there is a three week lapse before the action starts.
    Cowell and his team have tried hard to raise the stakes this time around-last year there was very little expectation and XF seemed to be going through the motions.

XF future is not in doubt barring an act of God. However this is a big year for it, its hardly been newsworthy and its been pretty bland all things considered in recent years-Cowell/Cole's return rather demands an upswing in its fortunes occurs. If it doesn't happen there will be a long line of people happy to point it out.
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quick round up of European ratings

Germany;

Rising Star launched on RTL in Germany last night. Just like in the US, the pacing is way too slow. The ratings weren't too inspiring either; 2.25m (8.4%) in overall viewers. In the main 14-49 demo (like the US measurement of 18-49), the show got 1.39m (14.2%). As launches go, it wasn't great.

However, Prosieben did show the premiere of Men in Black 3, as a spoiler tactic towards RTL. It worked; 4.13m (15.4%) in overall viewers, with 2.80m (28.7%) in the main 14-49 demo. Most watched show in both categories last night.

Celeb Big Brother is doing pretty well over there too, on Sat.1. In the 14-49 demo, the share has been between 17% - 20%. The finale tonight will do very well.

France;

The Voice Kids launched in France last week, on TF1. 6.36m (34.2%) is a strong debut for the series, outrating most things on French TV this week.

Also, Big Brother (Secret Story as it's known in France), has been doing well for TF1. Late night ratings around or over the 20% mark, and performing very well in the key demos. Raw numbers are around 1.7m - 2.0m
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Looks like this is the confirmed Strictly Come Dancing line-up (spoilers, obviously)
    Tim Wonnacott, 61, Antiques Expert
    Jennifer Gibney, 58, Actress
    Judy Murray, 55, Tennis Coach & Fed Cup Captain
    Gregg Wallace, 49, Masterchef Judge
    Jake Wood, 42, Eastenders Actor
    Sunetra Sarker, 41, Casualty Actress
    Steve Backshall, 41, Naturalist & TV Presenter
    Scott Mills, 40, Radio 1 DJ
    Alison Hammond, 39, This Morning Presenter
    Simon Webbe, 36, Blue Singer
    Caroline Flack, 34, TV Presenter
    Thom Evans, 29, Rugby Player
    Mark Wright, 27, TV Personality & DJ
    Frankie Bridge, 25, The Saturdays Singer
    Pixie Lott, 23, Singer

That last name IMO is very impressive, being a current singer and all, and a successful one. Great choices of TV presenters (I know all of them) as well as DJs and band members.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, SCD has just about saved the day, with some older signings to even things up a bit.

Still think it's the weakest it's been, but after the first few names were revealed, I really did feel they didn't care about loyal, older viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    A quick round up of European ratings

Germany;

Rising Star launched on RTL in Germany last night. Just like in the US, the pacing is way too slow. The ratings weren't too inspiring either; 2.25m (8.4%) in overall viewers. In the main 14-49 demo (like the US measurement of 18-49), the show got 1.39m (14.2%). As launches go, it wasn't great.

:o That's utterly awful.
  • NewcastleNewcastle Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Yes I don't think there is much doubt regarding that.
    Not so sure. SCD audience is very old. Sunday night BBC1 + very old Countryfile lead in. SCD might just edge it.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle wrote: »
    Not so sure. SCD audience is very old. Sunday night BBC1 + very old Countryfile lead in. SCD might just edge it.

Not according a clearly bitter Ola Jordan who believes SCD will be beaten by TXF vthis year! She's being quite negative about Strictly. Word of warning: Do not bite the hands that feed. After all, look what happened to her husband!
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    I think this could be one of "Strictly Come Dancing" highest rated years. The contestants are closely matched.

Yes looks like it could be competitive. There is still a large age range twenties to sixties so its all covered. Not sure who will emerge as the Mark Fenton/RussellGrant/Anne Widdicombe style comedy act though- which does drive the ratings somewhat.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,623
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Not according a clearly bitter Ola Jordan who believes SCD will be beaten by TXF vthis year! She's being quite negative about Strictly. Word of warning: Do not bite the hands that feed. After all, look what happened to her husband!

I don't think Ola will actually stay in "Strictly Come Dancing" after this year, she may have been even told this is the last year for her, she has never been this bitter and James seems to loathe being released from the show, I think its had a bad effect on her. I have a feeling Ola is going to be paired with Tim from "Bargain Hunt"
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    BBC need to get rid of Ola Jordan. They got rid of James Jordan after he made some bad comments about SCD - I'd predicted months ago the Beeb would get rid of him due to his bad behaviour. I expect following Ola's comments, she will be axed after this series.

As for the ratings last night, excellent for BBC One's 8-10pm block. 4.5million for DIY SOS in that slot is very good, half up against EmFarm. SOS is going to pull in solid audiences all Autumn and should do a good job of damaging OGrady's Dogs ratings. WDYTYA is going to murder Chasing Shadows next Thursday, possibly 5.7million for the Mary Berry special.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Loving the whole XF v SCD ratings war press talk. The BBC are pretending to the press that they never had a clue that Coro would air on Sundays, but it's working - people have fallen for it! There is a public perception now that Itv instigated the XF v SCD clash, even though secretly we know that's not necessarily the case.

Of course the BBC have known for months that Coro would air on a Sunday that weekend because there is an England match on the Monday which has been set in stone in the calendar for the last 6months. Whenever Coro is displaced due to a football match, it normally ends up on Sundays at 7pm. This has been obvious and known to BBC schedulers for months. They're not stupid or thick, it's not like this England game has suddenly been scheduled last minute.

However the BBC are really gunning for XFactor this Autumn. So what they did is in the early provisional schedules they put SCD at 6.45pm, with the intention all along to air it at 8pm knowing that Itv would end up showing Coro at 7pm. But due to the scheduling exchanges, the BBC had "faux shock" at Itv "suddenly moving Coro to Sundays late on" and so the Beeb moved SCD to 8pm - which was always the original plan. Cowell is right - the BBC are gunning for XFactor this year. And there's nothing wrong with that. Cowell likes to talk the talk so let's see who wins the overall ratings war this year.

But for people thinking the BBC were the victims, well... the BBC arent as stupid as you think they are. They knew for months Coro would air Sunday 7pm that weekend. And theyve used Itv's scheduling as a 'reason' for 'having to move SCD to 8pm'. Although the plan all along from BBC bosses was to target XFactor anyway :D! You think the BBC are stupid? Theyre not, theyre not little puny bitches with inept work experience students running the channel. They know what theyre doing... they are all out to damage XF and to target Itv's high-rating slots this Autumn.

It is no coincidence that New Tricks is airing on Mondays in Itv's traditional high rating drama slot. Or that GBBO is airing on Wednesdatys at 8pm in one of Itv's few post Coro oap-lead-in slots. Or that DIY SOS - a solid 4-5m banker - is airing on Thursdays at 8pm, a typically tough slot when OGradys Dogs airs. Or that Doctor Who is being aired against XF, tougher competition than what XF has faced on Saturday nights in ages. Or that Apprentice may air against Downton Abbey. Or that the new drama hit of the season Our Zoo is airing against past strong rating drama Scott and Bailey. Or that Waterloo Road is being delayed for ages, possibly not turning up this Autumn at all due to how low rating it is. There is no coincidence in all of this. There is a strategy going on, right from the top from Cohen and Moore to target difficult slots and increase BBC share in these tough slots, whilst continuing to win dead-out slots [e.g. Tuesdays] easily anyway. The BBC knows that if they can target the tough slots which Itv normally wins, then Itv are screwed - because it results in Itv's high rating shows rating lower, and the low ratings crap they air on Tuesdays and other traditional dead slots tothem will continue to rate low too.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPlayer stats for July are up:

New BBC Two drama, The Honourable Woman , was the most popular programme in July with 1.3 million requests for the first episode. For the second consecutive month, Murdered By My Boyfriend continued to perform well, and by the end of July had been seen over 3 million times on BBC iPlayer in total, making it the most requested BBC three drama of all time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/iplayer-performance-pack-july

K
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the FA have conceded the England match is likely to have one of the lowest Wembley attendances in recent memory (17,000 tickets sold) which will undoubtedly be reflected in the ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Berry is not on next week, its Sheridan Smith so should give Chasing Shadows a good launch. It feels similar to BBC2's The Shadow Line.
This discussion has been closed.