Options

Were you bullied at School?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,373
Forum Member
and if so, do you think it still has an impact on you / your life now? How you think about yourself, how confident you are, whether or not you have some self esteem issues because of it?

Comments

• Options
    madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    Yes and yes definitely. I don't think I'd be such a mess these days if it wasn't for the bullying in school. It carries on into later life and makes you self conscious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,820
    Forum Member
    Yes I was but then I grew up, moved on and got over it,because I didn't want to be a victim and spend the rest of my life making excuses for myself on the grounds of something that happened when I was a child.
    Sorry if that sounds harsh but I can't bear professional victims and the past will only influence the future if you let it. It's much more empowering to just put the past behind you and take control for yourself.
  • Options
    DarthDorkDarthDork Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I was but then I grew up, moved on and got over it,because I didn't want to be a victim and spend the rest of my life making excuses for myself on the grounds of something that happened when I was a child.
    Sorry if that sounds harsh but I can't bear professional victims and the past will only influence the future if you let it. It's much more empowering to just put the past behind you and take control for yourself.

This. Got over it became stronger as a person.
  • Options
    GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think you sound harsh at all. Infact I applaud the fact that you had the strength of character to be able to put your demons to rest.
    I was bullied,and for a time and it did cause me great problems, but then I had an epiphany...the bullies had long gone but I was now bullying myself and doing a better job than they ever did. I decided to change the things about myself that I didn't like about myself, keep the things I did..and it worked.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No...but then it helps if you are the most good looking and clever in the class :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Goneril wrote: »
    I don't think you sound harsh at all. Infact I applaud the fact that you had the strength of character to be able to put your demons to rest.
    I was bullied,and for a time and it did cause me great problems, but then I had an epiphany...the bullies had long gone but I was now bullying myself and doing a better job than they ever did. I decided to change the things about myself that I didn't like about myself, keep the things I did..and it worked.

Exactly! :)
    After a few years you realise that no-one even remembers it except you. You're doing yourself much more harm by dwelling on how it's "ruined" your life than anyone else ever did to you. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No...but then it helps if you are the most good looking and clever in the class :p

You smell:p
  • Options
    GonerilGoneril Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll get you at playtime matey:mad::D.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was bullied in school, and yes it did have an impact on me, in that I'm an extremely confident and strong person now.

I've never been bullied since.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and yes.

Bullying is very tough on you when you're the victim and has had a real effect on me in RL. Made me shy and quiet and the unsocial creature I am today. Because the way I learned to deal with the bullying was to turn a blind eye to it so I ended up talking to only a select group of trusted friends. The reality is I'm easy meat for bullies so anyone who so much as pointed a finger at me I didn't talk to and that just got easier and easier.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but to my shame I stood and did nothing when someone in the class was. :o
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was bullied mercilessly at school but it just made me stronger and stronger.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I think it can take different lengths of time for people to get past it, it might depend on what else is going on e.g. if kids don't get any confidence or affirmation from home, indeed their home situation might be a factor in the bullying because they are singled out as different in some way.

Two or three kids in my class used to catch it from some others because they were from single parent families in the days when it was still relatively rare, and with the situation at home not giving them strength, and schools not being so hot on it back then, they were really suffering.

I've since communicated with one of them many years on and he now has a stable happy family life and career, but he said it took him years to develop his self-esteem, luckily despite all this he did well academically, perhaps driven by the one thing he felt confident with.
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    I was bullied and it made me stronger. Looking back I'm proud of how I sorted it.

In primary school I was bullied until the end. It had been going for about a year and a half. Was making me feel really bad etc. Moved onto secondary school and was loving it, the bully had moved to a different school I had new friends. Then in year 9 the bully moved into my school. I was thinking crap here it comes again. I was sitting in my french class with him behind me, you could hear the insults and the constant kicking on the back of my chair, he was telling me "to fight him and how he was going to kill me and stuff". So after ignoring him for the whole lesson he came up to me at breaktime with his friends and he starting pushing me, then kicked me to the floor. I saw red and got up punched him in the face so hard I thought I'd broken my hand:D Then the rest of my year started applauding the fact I actually hit him back for once. He never started on me again.

Ever since that day it has made me stronger as a person.
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and I could not even tell my parents about it :cry:

The person concerned lost her OH on the way to visit their first child. Karmic boomerang :yawn:
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was bullied a lot, I had no self confidence and I was extremely clumsy, Most of confidence problems came from troubles at home.
    In the end I cracked and fought back at home and at school, That was when I figured out most bully's are cowards.
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I was bullied a lot, I had no self confidence and I was extremely clumsy, Most of confidence problems came from troubles at home.
    In the end I cracked and fought back at home and at school, That was when I figured out most bully's are cowards.

Fought back like me. *High 5*:D
  • Options
    Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes.

But then again I went through a phase of being a bully so it evened out.

I still regret the things I did to people.
  • Options
    the spiz 2the spiz 2 Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was for several months and then one day decked the guy with a right hook - he went running off to the head who didn't believe him when he said it was me that had done it!!

He left me alone after that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I was bullied and School, and yes it is still affecting me now.

I find it very hard to trust people, and I don't find it easy to make friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I was and still am too much of a goodygoody to fight back. I believe in turning the other cheek and not raising my fists in anger. Simply going to the right people worked for me everytime. It might not have stopped the bullying when the teachers were not around but in my opinion it's the right thing to do. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joop&Lynx wrote: »

This.

With some people it's easier but making friends with new people is always hard for me. I've just been kicked around by too many people in earlier life.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joop&Lynx wrote: »

Same here. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did quite a lot in Year 8 and 9 then in Year 10 I'd had enough of it and decided to stick up for myself a bit more and answered back and wouldn't take their shit any more. I knew it could work both ways and they'd just be even worse but I had to try and do something about it. Thankfully it worked in my favor and gained a lot more respect from them and it pretty much stopped when they knew I wasn't the easiest target any more. The worst I probably got was having a soldering iron held against my hand yeah it was only for a couple of seconds but still left quite a big burn.

I'm not confident at all but don't think that has any thing to do with being bullied really.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    This guy is a hero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfn4OxCPQs&feature=related

Anyway, I'm an Asperger's sufferer, so I was a particular target for bullying. Mostly, I'd put up with people chucking pens and paper balls at me. They're usually harmless. However, there was one big **** who used to kick me, trip me up, flush my head down the bog etc.

I kept on putting off getting back at him because of a lack of confidence.

I left at the end of year 11 (the school was a combi secondary school and sixth form, the sixth form was technically part of the school but academically separate, obviously). It was approaching the end of my final school day. I knew this was the day I would get back at him in a way that would make sure that he wouldn't dare retaliate. I decided to leave it right to the moment we were going out of that tip of a school for the last time.

On my way out, I went past a bunch of those metal filing cabinets that seemed to be perpetually empty in school, and just wasting space. They all had gaps inbetween them. On the way out, I found him terrorising a year 7 kid inbetween them, saying that he would get him outside school.

He couldn't hear me, I crept up behind him and gave him an almighty slam with my fist to the back of his head. He went down like a sack of potatoes, crashing into the filing cabinets, and tipping them over. Obviously, I helped him as I pushed him as he was falling, being the evil bastard that I am :D

Then I quickly pushed over the filing cabinet on the other side so it would land on top of him.

I pegged it after that, and he never got his own back on me, because he never saw who it was who did this to him.