Options

Anyone else disgusted by the attacks on Murdoch?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
Forum Member
Whilst we all know that the whole phone hacking issue is a disgrace, is it right to publicly bash Murdoch in the way the none-murdoch press and media are?

Even the Govenment and the opposition, all of the Commons, are acting like judge, jury and executioner by demanding News Corp retract the bid for BskyB......

Yet there is no evidence yet that Murdoch/News Corp have done anything wrong......

And even if there WAS, is it the position of Government to interfere in COMMERCIAL BUSINESS?

Would they have a right to tell Mr Patel that he can't buy a corner shop, or Mrs Smith that she must retract her offer to buy Mrs Jones cake shop?

Yes BskyB is a BIG BIG business, put the principal is the same.......

And to say retracting the bid for BskyB is IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST......how? why is it?

People have Sky to watch movies, sport and tv shows......how is the ownership of a service that shows tv a matter of public and national interest.......and lets be clear here, when they say INTEREST its not because people are interested, its because they feel its of national significance, national security, national pride......

What bollocks!

Its TV!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RHIGGINSON wrote: »
    Whilst we all know that the whole phone hacking issue is a disgrace, is it right to publicly bash Murdoch in the way the none-murdoch press and media are?

Even the Govenment and the opposition, all of the Commons, are acting like judge, jury and executioner by demanding News Corp retract the bid for BskyB......

Yet there is no evidence yet that Murdoch/News Corp have done anything wrong......

And even if there WAS, is it the position of Government to interfere in COMMERCIAL BUSINESS?

Would they have a right to tell Mr Patel that he can't buy a corner shop, or Mrs Smith that she must retract her offer to buy Mrs Jones cake shop?

And to say retracting the bid for BskyB is IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST......how? why is it?

People have Sky to watch movies, sport and tv shows......how is the ownership of a service that shows tv a matter of public and national interest.......and lets be clear here, when they say INTEREST its not because people are interested, its because they feel its of national significance, national security, national pride......

What bollocks!

Its TV!!!!!

They have brought a lot of it on themselves that cant be denied but what we have to be careful of now is people and organisations using the fiasco for their own agenda, abusing public opinion.

Remember attack is the best form of defence and the other paper's most probably have their own skeletons well hidden (with PIs ordered/payed to destroys all lists).

I'm sure you will see unity within all the written media when the BSB merger is shelved and the words media regulation are mentioned.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the government do make up the law in this country, and they are elected by us, so yes the government do get to have a say in it.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Err...yes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the government do make up the law in this country, and they are elected by us, so yes the government do get to have a say in it.

If News Corp believe that any decisions against them are bias, unlawful or procedures not adhered, can they go to the European courts ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know to be honest!

Also they would have the right to tell Mr. Patel, or Mrs. Smith not to buy a shop, if they had done something wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So if Mr Patel had been to prison he couldnt sell people a loaf?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know to be honest!

Also they would have the right to tell Mr. Patel, or Mrs. Smith not to buy a shop, if they had done something wrong.

I thought I heard sick note, sorry Cameron utter something about legality last Friday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And RIGHT NOW there is no evidence saying Murodch or NewsCorp HAVE done anything wrong!!!

What about due process?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only legal issue here comes under the "fit and proper" regulations....which Ofcom have to decide on.

NOT THE COMMONS
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    And RIGHT NOW there is no evidence saying Murodch or NewsCorp HAVE done anything wrong!!!

What about due process?

So, there's no evidence at all? Anywhere? All of this is just made up??!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know every single situation possible, but of course the government have the final say on things. For instance I know you can't be the personal licence holder at a pub, if you haven't got a clean CRB check.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say I'm disgusted but I do feel it's overblown. TBH, until News Corp's bid for Sky I hadn't realised that they didn't already own it!

The politicians say the public are disgusted by the recent revelations, hence why the MPs are all asking News Corp to withdraw its bid. Well, I don't know that the public are disgusted - more that the politicians and other media are salivating over giving Murdoch a bashing.

The public may say they are disgusted but that's just to sound principled and moral. In reality the public are probably much more cynical.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i say there is very good evidence that News Corp have done something wrong fact 1 Phone Hacking Fact 2 Bribing Police Officers and that is a crime i have all the evidence i need to condem the murdochs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know every single situation possible, but of course the government have the final say on things. For instance I know you can't be the personal licence holder at a pub, if you haven't got a clean CRB check.

There are always ways and means, for example I know plenty pub landlords with criminal records who's spouses hold liqueur licences.

This 'fit and proper persons test' intrigues me, if other European Countries allow News Corp to own broadcasting licences, would News Corp have scope for redress in the European courts or could the UK be a lone wolf ?
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What bollocks!

Its TV!!!!!

You dont have a problem with a company engaged in phone hacking running a telephone company?:confused:
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    Be wary of the moral indignation of politicians and their useful reference to public opinion when it suits them.

I don't recall that they were quite so eager to follow public opinion or rush to judgments on their colleagues when the MPs expenses scandal broke. They were quite happy to kick that one into the long grass if they could. No resigning by party leaders there because of what their MPs had done.

Not so eager either on Europe, Capital Punishment or any other area where their view and public opinion diverges.

As for most of the public their moral indignation only goes so far - for many they'll be sick of the story within days.

Funny how closing down the NOTW resulted in the best sales for years. Very principled stand by the public there...
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    So, there's no evidence at all? Anywhere? All of this is just made up??!!

There's plenty of evidence News International has committed many crimes, but there's no evidence Murdoch or Newscorp have committed any crime.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we are supposed to live in a country of laws and due process regardless of who the alleged victim or perpetrator is. Reading The Guradian now feels very similar to reading the NOTW but from the left instead of the right.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

What bollocks!

Its TV!!!!!

Tickets for the outrage bus are very, very cheap at the moment. Passengers will soon disembark and board another one though when the next "scandal" from another source hits the airwaves and the press a few weeks down the line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, apart from all that evidence.

If Mr Patel or Mrs Smith had a history of trangressing the law in respect of their business, then legally they could be stopped from doing so. Government interferes in commercial business all the time. It's called regulation.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with the concentration on Murdoch by Labour and their friends at the Guardian. Other newspaper groups appear to have a much worse record for blagging (according to the OIC), there was a report last night of the Daily Mirror having hacked a phone (and getting a press award for it!).

But the NofW does seem to have gone through a period of widespread hacking and blagging.

I have never liked Murdoch because of the amount of influence he has and the reports of the way his company obstructed the police investigation only reinforce those beliefs.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    mad_dude wrote: »
    You dont have a problem with a company engaged in phone hacking running a telephone company?:confused:

Certain employees contracted a private investigator to perform unauthorised entries on peoples voice mail. Not quite what you are saying to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do believe hacking and deleting voice mail messages from a missing person leading police and parents to believe it was her deleting the messages is a serious crime though, and so do many other people. I am also capable of making up my own mind, regardless of what is on the radio or in the newspapers.

I think many other people think the same as this as well.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    So if Mr Patel had been to prison he couldnt sell people a loaf?

It would depend on if he went to prison with a previous history of selling poisened loaves.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope.