Options

Cream cakes at work

124»

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I never got this. I expect a big cream cake given to me on mine, not the other way around.

This bringing in cakes for others is a relatively new thing and I expect American influenced.

It's my birthday, you buy me the cake!!>:(

Not sure if it is an American thing but I do remember it was in the early 80s when I first experienced it.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it is an American thing but I do remember it was in the early 80s when I first experienced it.

I'd say the 2000s for me.

I can remember a guy bringing in cakes on his birthday and everyone was like, ... why are you bringing in cakes...
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a very fussy eater anyway, I don't like people picking around my food, if I want a cream cake I'll go and buy myself ten.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    If it's anyones Birthday on our team at work, we all chip in for a Birthday cake, and all bring in silly amounts of junk food, that we pile on their desk, accompanied by a massive take out (usually pizza) and everyone just stuffs their face all night and leaves about a stone heavier at the end of the shift...Good times.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I'd say the 2000s for me.

I can remember a guy bringing in cakes on his birthday and everyone was like, ... why are you bringing in cakes...

Is it a carry on from school? When I was at primary school, kids always brought cake or sweets in on their birthday for their classmates. This was early-mid 90s. The kids I teach do it as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    In the office environment it makes sense that the birthday boy/girl buys the goodies as the other way round just wouldn't work.

Where I used to work (mostly male) if it was your birthday you bought the drinks after work, not the other way round.

It all comes out in the wash.