Options

Holiday Advice - Does Anyone Know A Place Like This...

Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We want to go somewhere lovely and warm within about 3/4 hours flight of England.

This is my wish list:

Somewhere reasonably quiet, or in other words somewhere that does not appeal to noisy teens or drunken hooligans. :blush:

Somewhere that is not too mountainous or hilly.

Somewhere that has quiet beaches so we can get some privacy (don't like lying on a lounger next to strangers).

Has a lovely old town we can wander around in.

Great restaurants and bars.

Not too long a drive from the airport.

We are not on a budget at the moment.

Do you know a place like this? :)

Comments

• Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Villefranche - nice little typical French village in the Mediterranean. Just outside Nice.

Santorini in Greece also fits that description.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tunisia meets a few of those requirements:

It's flat, warm, about 3 hours flight, the hotels have their own beaches (but obviously you'll have to share them with the other guests), there's absolutely no drunken yob element (the authorities would never allow it). There will also be some nice towns to visit in the area.

On the negative, the main resort is at least 2 hour drive from the main airport and alcohol is not allowed outside the tourist hotels.

But if you are well off enough to not worry about budget i'm sure you could find a thousand places that meet your requirements.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cascais, Portugal. Bliss and for me ticks all your boxes. :) And a taxi ride from Lisbon airport costs about £30 or you can get the train from Lisbon direct to Cascais. You can visit Lisbon without need for a vehicle.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menorca. It has hundreds of beaches, some quite out-of-the way, everyone speaka da English, There is old towns, villages and good bars. There aren't any hooligans or rowdy youths. I love it there.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Crete- Rethymnon
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    Menorca. It has hundreds of beaches, some quite out-of-the way, everyone speaka da English, There is old towns, villages and good bars. There aren't any hooligans or rowdy youths. I love it there.

Excellent- we're going this summer!
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Puerto Pollensa sounds about right. Dead flat, an hour from the airport, great choice of bars and restaurants and has the old town of Pollenca just up the road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puerto Pollensa sounds about right. Dead flat, an hour from the airport, great choice of bars and restaurants and has the old town of Pollenca just up the road.

I was going to post the same.
  • Options
    Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the replies!

I shall spend a lazy evening with a glass of wine researching the resorts above - they all sound wonderful! :cool:

Thanks again x
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Formentera - from Ibiza airport you need the bus to the port and then the ferry, but it's the ferry that takes you away from all the hullabaloo and you're in a different universe.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Ibiza has quiet beaches. Avoid San Antoni as the drunks go there. Airport not far away. It has an old town and lovely leisurely walks which are flat in most places. The harbour is lovely with the yachts.

Puig de Moulins is very hilly.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ibiza has quiet beaches. Avoid San Antoni as the drunks go there. Airport not far away. It has an old town and lovely leisurely walks which are flat in most places. The harbour is lovely with the yachts.

Puig de Moulins is very hilly.
    Avoid Playa Den Bossa also!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Search for Roquetas De Mar in Almeria. Currently here ATM.. It's lovely. No rowdiness... No drunks.. Not many Brits.. And lovely and flat too. We walked for 6miles on the weekend all along the coastal path. Lovely bars and restaurants all over.. Most doing beautiful tapas (cheap too)

Our second year, gorgeous place!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steeee wrote: »
    Search for Roquetas De Mar in Almeria. Currently here ATM.. It's lovely. No rowdiness... No drunks.. Not many Brits.. And lovely and flat too. We walked for 6miles on the weekend all along the coastal path. Lovely bars and restaurants all over.. Most doing beautiful tapas (cheap too)

Our second year, gorgeous place!

I've heard lovely things about this resort.

I would suggest Kefalonia...
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to suggest Lanzarote but it is built on a mountain, however if you stay in Puerto Del Carmen you have the old and new town, quiet resorts, amazing restaurants and bars, it's not full of hooligans or loads of young (I'm 18 and think its nice because it's so laid back). There's also the port and the whole beach that is around the island. Arrecife airport is about 10-20 minutes away and there's lots to do on the island like Timanfaya Volcano, Lava Tubes etc...

Flights cost me £1000 for four adults + my timeshare and then spending money and a hire car. I think Lanzarote is lovely and can all come in on a good budget if you look about.
  • Options
    Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    I love Parga, it's on mainland Greece but has an island feel. It has a good selection of beaches, some you can get water taxis to and from. The town is still quite Greek, despite the usual gift shops etc, and has plenty of tavernas and restaurants, some with great views of the harbour.

There aren't any loud bars so you don't get that type of crowd. It tends to be couples and families or solo travellers like me. You also get a good mix of nationalities, not just Brits there. The locals are very friendly too.
    It is a little hilly, like up to the castle or to Valtos beach (lovely stretch of sand, you can get a boat there or walk to it), it depends how fit you are really. Oh and it is an hour from the airport (I get transfers with my package).

Have a look at it on Trip Advisor or Google. I never go back to the same place twice but Parga has me hooked :-)
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    I was going to suggest Lanzarote but it is built on a mountain, however if you stay in Puerto Del Carmen you have the old and new town, quiet resorts, amazing restaurants and bars, it's not full of hooligans or loads of young (I'm 18 and think its nice because it's so laid back). There's also the port and the whole beach that is around the island. Arrecife airport is about 10-20 minutes away and there's lots to do on the island like Timanfaya Volcano, Lava Tubes etc...

Flights cost me £1000 for four adults + my timeshare and then spending money and a hire car. I think Lanzarote is lovely and can all come in on a good budget if you look about.

I love Lanzarote but, unfortunately some people don't. Villas are cheap to hire, car hire is cheap and the roads are good. The only way to enjoy the island is to get out and about and visit the sights. There is loads to do and see. I've been going there for years and I would live there if I could.
  • Options
    kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tossa de Mar on the Costa Brava. Beautiful little Spanish village, only a couple of hours flight from the UK, about 30 minutes from the airport (Girona) and 2 hours away from Barcelona if you did fancy a day trip
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I love Lanzarote but, unfortunately some people don't. Villas are cheap to hire, car hire is cheap and the roads are good. The only way to enjoy the island is to get out and about and visit the sights. There is loads to do and see. I've been going there for years and I would live there if I could.

Bugs me when people say 'Lanzagrotty' as it's not. It's so well maintained and clean and just a lovely island where you can see lots and be in a budget.
  • Options
    Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    My parents have just come back from Lanzarote and one of the things they said was that it was spotless there - an incredibly clean and well looked after island.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the negative, the main resort is at least 2 hour drive from the main airport

Eh? Main resort (Sousse) is 15 minutes from the airport (Monastir - the airport you would fly to if you were holidaying in Sousse).

Now, you could fly to Tunis airport rather than Monastir airport - but that would be a bit stupid. Similar to flying to Heathrow rather than Manchester if you wanted a week in Blackpool.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first choice would be Cavtat in Croatia. Right on the coast and just a few miles down from Dubrovnik. It is picturesque, quiet, maybe 20 mins from airport, not hilly, lovely proms and headlands to walk around, crystal clear water for swimming, just enough cafes and bars to wander to. You can also catch a bus or boat up to Dubrovnik if you want a few more shops and a beautiful old town. Definitely no thugs or lager louts there!!

When I was there a cruise ship had dropped people off and I met a woman who said Cavtat was the prettiest place shed seen on her cruise and she'd done nearly 2 weeks. :) I'd go back there any day.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    Bugs me when people say 'Lanzagrotty' as it's not. It's so well maintained and clean and just a lovely island where you can see lots and be in a budget.

I think its usually people who haven't even been there who call it Lazagrotty. I've only been once but we stayed in a spotlessly clean hotel in Costa Teguise which had the largest room we have ever stayed in anywhere.

The island was very clean as you say and we loved the sculptures at most roadabouts and we have Cesar Manrique to thank for that. He was also responsible for ensuring that Lanzarote has no high rise buildings - 2 storeys being the limit and also for making the buildings look attractive. All houses inland have to have green shutters and those on the coast have blue. They look really attractive with their white walls and beautiful flowers and creepers growing on them.
  • Options
    Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Skiathos (Greek island). Very small island with a great bus service, no 18-30s/stag/hen groups, quiet beaches, lovely restaurants, airport less than 30 mins to most resorts, hot weather, friendly locals etc.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh? Main resort (Sousse) is 15 minutes from the airport (Monastir - the airport you would fly to if you were holidaying in Sousse).

Now, you could fly to Tunis airport rather than Monastir airport - but that would be a bit stupid. Similar to flying to Heathrow rather than Manchester if you wanted a week in Blackpool.

Last time I was in Tunisia we flew into Enfidha airport which is 2 hours away. Rather annoying since our hotel was overlooking Monastir. I don't think any UK flights go into Monastir anymore, well not package ones anyway.