No, I blame Muslims.
    Actually, I blame Facebook.

You forgot 'Game of Thrones'.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I've seen that picture; it struck me as odd that a concerned parent, finding their child with dark blue fingers, would rush off to get a camera/phone to photograph the fingers before considering removal of the bands.

How could you possibly sue without photographic evidence?

Personally I would worry about young boys cutting off circulation other places too. :o
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - the first thought is the lawsuit, saving the fingers seems to be an afterthought.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DM link has now been updated to add even more dramatic headline
    The boy who was BLINDED by a loom band

Though how is that any different to an ordinary elastic band hitting you in the eye? :confused:
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    This type of thing is definitely not new. I remember bands like these being around in the '80s. A slow 'news' day for the trashy Daily Mail.

The fad has come back. it's pretty popular at the moment.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember when school wouldn't let you play in the snow because it was the "wrong kind of snow"
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Remember when school wouldn't let you play in the snow because it was the "wrong kind of snow"

No.

<filler>
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Anyone else remember those massive elastic bands where you had two people stand a few feet apart with the bands stretched out between them and others used to have to jump over them with their legs open? You used to moved the band up from ankles to calves to knows to thighs and the jumpers would see who could get the highest without touching the band as they jumped over.

Surely they must be banned these days?

French skipping, we called it. There were all sorts of complicated routines that people worked out. I loved it. Probably banned, yes.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Mail is targeting rubber bands now?

IMO they're stretching things a bit.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the DM it's usually the truth that gets stretched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    French skipping, we called it. There were all sorts of complicated routines that people worked out. I loved it. Probably banned, yes.

That's it, French skipping. Thanks :)

Another one was having wool that we made into shapes around our hands -cats cradle rings a bell so off to google
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    That's it, French skipping. Thanks :)

Another one was having wool that we made into shapes around our hands -cats cradle rings a bell so off to google

I used to love cats cradle, I used to try and do it with myself when I was bored :D It led to inventive ways of using my bed frame and my own feet as the other person:D
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see the DM 'outrage' here. They have reported that a boy has had his eye seriously injured and another boy's fingers turned blue overnight due to him wearing an over-tight band. A doctor has urged parents to be vigilant. Would you rather they kept it quiet?
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I can't see the DM 'outrage' here. They have reported that a boy has had his eye seriously injured and another boy's fingers turned blue overnight due to him wearing an over-tight band. A doctor has urged parents to be vigilant. Would you rather they kept it quiet?

Given you will struggle to find an item that hasn't caused an injury, then they should keep quiet unless there is something specifically dangerous about these bands that common sense wouldn't suggest (so don't eat them, fire them into someones eye or wrap tightly around appendages)

[Did you know 20* people were admitted to A&E last year through injuries caused by slippers? BAN THEM I SAY]

* - exact number I can't remember, but it is in that order of magnitude
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    You forgot 'Game of Thrones'.

Oh right, I wasn't aware. They dislike that too?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The images of the boy we'ren't in the article earlier this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DM link has now been updated to add even more dramatic headline

Though how is that any different to an ordinary elastic band hitting you in the eye? :confused:

Is being BLINDED any different from being blinded?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Read the article again. He's one of 6 children, his mother is only 32 and their semi detached house is worth only £100,000.

She's probably spent the last 10 years on her back, popping them out and the child benefit in.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Given you will struggle to find an item that hasn't caused an injury, then they should keep quiet unless there is something specifically dangerous about these bands that common sense wouldn't suggest (so don't eat them, fire them into someones eye or wrap tightly around appendages)

[Did you know 20* people were admitted to A&E last year through injuries caused by slippers? BAN THEM I SAY]

* - exact number I can't remember, but it is in that order of magnitude

I know all manner of objects can cause injury, but the fact that these things are becoming a bit of a fad among children, surely a warning about wearing them too tight is sensible. Believe me, I'm no fan of H&S nuttism, but I can't really see why this article has caused such a fuss.
    And where does the DM say they should be banned?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'Tis all good fun till someone losses an eye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I trod on a piece of Lego, slipped awkwardly and broke my ankle - do you reckon I should go to the DM with a sadface picture?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one time at school I tripped over my skipping rope...WHERE WAS THE DAILY MAIL THEN?

I am still traumatised by my terrible experience. I can't look at a rope without falling over. And crying.

I feckin Hate that publication.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    IK, R! Can't believe they missed out on a Sadface picture. :D

To keep you going

http://dailymailsadface.blogspot.co.uk/ :D
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member