Options

Am I destined to die young?

WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My dad is currently in hospital after having suffered a third heart attack in 10 years. He dropped "dead" as he arrived in casualty during his first one (he drove himself to hospital) but they were able to resuscitate him. He was a heavy smoker/drinker his whole life (although he has obviously had to cut down in recent years).

Both my grandfathers died in their early to mid 60s with stomach cancer (although my dad's dad had had heart trouble for decades before he died - he also was a smoker and heavy drinker when young).

Now the doctor had told my dad to tell us that this is hereditary and to tell his children to stop smoking and start living a healthy lifestyle otherwise we're going to end up the same way.

My dad's first major heart attack happened when he was 42. I'm only 11 years off that age now, and the cancer seems to strike the males in our family at a young age too (from 55 - 65).

Does this mean that this is how my life is going to go aswell? I've had chest pains, palpitations and a rapid heartbeat issues since i was about 18 and they continue to this day but the doctors keep telling me I'm ok after doing x rays and ecg.

Even if I do alter my lifestyle to help my heart, the cancer's going to get me anyway due to my previous excessive living/genes.

I currently pay into a work pension and save monthly for when I'm old but is there any point? Shouldn't I just enjoy what I have today (I'm gay so wont have any dependants t9 leave my money to).

Is it normal for these too deadly, hereditary diseases to run through both maternal and paternal families? It kind of feels like a death sentence where I can see my future and know when I'm going to start having problems and how its going to end.

Comments

• Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're already a ghost?
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Righto, I see where you're coming from, but detection of cancer is advancing and becoming quite commonplace - see here for detection of ovarian, prostate and breast cancer:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/predictive-genetic-tests-cancer/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I'm assuming it means that tests for other forms of cancer will be developed in the years up to your own perceived 'risky age', and getting rid of or controlling cancer is always about early detection.

Please try to calm down about it all. I do sympathise because I've had scares myself so I know what you mean, but I think you should just keep an eye on future developments and take it from there. It's unfortunate that your dad and grandad etc haven't had this opportunity, but you do.

As for having no dependants: well, you may find yourself married and with a couple of adopted kids, a la Elton John. You never know. :)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Am I destined to die young?

Not necessarily. What you can do is ensure that you have a good lifestyle (good diet, no smoking/drugs, moderate drinking only, exercising, avoiding obesity, etc.) and that you have regular GP check ups after age 40.

Link: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/Men1839/Pages/Men1839.aspx
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I currently pay into a work pension and save monthly for when I'm old but is there any point? Shouldn't I just enjoy what I have today (I'm gay so wont have any dependants t9 leave my money to).

Why would being gay mean you won't have any dependents?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    My partners father and sister both died young. One 38 the other 42. Very scary both died of cancer.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Am I destined to die young?"

Do you want to live a long life?
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...............I currently pay into a work pension and save monthly for when I'm old but is there any point? Shouldn't I just enjoy what I have today (I'm gay so wont have any dependants t9 leave my money to)................

I suggest you ask for a refund of your widow and orphans contributions.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Whispering Ghost,

Sorry to hear about your losses and problem.

My advice to you would be to get your homocysteine levels checked.

I first heard about this when I read Optimum Nutrition for the mind by Patrick Holford a leading nutritionist but a high homocysteine level is implicated in a large number of conditions including increased incidences of heart disease, strokes and cancer.

So I would get my homocysteine checked and if high I would find out as much information on it as I possibly could as from what I have read it plays a major part in ill health.

B Vitamins and sinc-I know spelling wrong but my letter doesn't type some reason so used an s! are particularly important alongside TMG which is found in wholegrains, spinach and beetroot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Although its hereditary, it seems their lifestyle plays a big part. Are u worried because u too are a heavy smoker and drinker? All u can do is try and be healthy. Stressing over this wont do you any good.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Yes find out bout homocysteine then look at leading a healthier lifestyle.

Agree about not stressing as it won't be good for you.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I would go and see your GP and ask them about this.

My sister died from bowel cancer and us siblings had to get checked out. I saw a bowel cancer nurse who went through the whole family history. There is a possibly genetic link if it's the same cancer through generations, but not if different ones. So if my parents or grandparents had also had bowel cancer this was an indicator.

The absolute best thing you can do for yourself is live a healthy life and make lifestyle changes.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worrying about it is not going to help. None of us know what is going to happen to us in the future, live in the now. Live as healthy a life as you can. You are healthy now, enjoy that fact and stop stressing about something that has not happened.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a person was a heavy smoker and drank a lot for his or her whole adult life, and died of a heart attack or cancer without getting to age 75 or so, it is not really the greatest surprise in the world.

This idea that it makes no difference, you will die young anyway because it is all inherited (as they used to say when I was younger), is a very handy one for cigarette and alcohol sellers. It is also a trick that those addicted to nicotine or alcohol tell them selves to excuse carrying on with what they know is daft.

The OP has been tested, doctors say that he has no heart abnormality. If he looks after himself he will live as long as most people.

I smoked 40-60 per day, and drank half a bottle of whisky each day, and when I gave up after about ten years of it I wondered what I would do instead, I thought what is it that these non-smokers and drinkers do all day? But I gave up, and don't smoke and drink very little and it is fine. My father died aged 61 after a whole life of heavy smoking and drinking strong beer. I will live twenty years longer and hugely enjoy my retirement. Of course if I had not smoked and drank too much it would have been longer, and I would have been richer.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My father dies at 47 - however I found out afterward that he had Diphtheria as a boy - and it does affect the heart.

Problem with worrying is that some people can't help do it.