Rear Window

heart break kidheart break kid Posts: 447
Forum Member
I recently revisited this film, what a classic. Every single element of it is pure cinematic joy.

The cast and performances are great and for the first time I realised how good Thelma Ritter's early dialogue was and how it sets the scene and gives some insight into Jimmy Stewart's character. Grace Kelly is majestic and really pops in the carefully chosen Edith Head costumes. The score and sound elements work really well and were recorded in a unique way to give the whole soundtrack that 'live' feel.

Finally, the master himself. The pace, the characters reactions to each moment, the framing, all amazing. Every single scene adds to the characters or the drama. Hitch really was a master story teller.

Any other Rear Window or Hitchcock fans? How do you feel this rates in terms of his body of work, your own personal favourite films, or just how does it stack up in a list of all time greats?

For some reason, I don't enjoy current films as much as this (barring a few exceptions such as the Sunrise / Sunset trilogy). Not sure if I am just too nostalgic or if it's a style thing (I hate cheap use of jump cuts and quick edits) or some other reason. Anyone else feel like this?

Comments

• Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one of a small list of Hitchcock films that I would want to re-watch now. I can't be bothered with most of his films, and I actually think that some of them are rubbish (eg Rope, the remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much etc.).

The ones I might still watch:-

The 39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes
    Strangers On A Train
    Rear Window
    North By Northwest
    Psycho

6!
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,173
    Forum Member
    I recently revisited this film, what a classic. Every single element of it is pure cinematic joy.

The cast and performances are great and for the first time I realised how good Thelma Ritter's early dialogue was and how it sets the scene and gives some insight into Jimmy Stewart's character. Grace Kelly is majestic and really pops in the carefully chosen Edith Head costumes. The score and sound elements work really well and were recorded in a unique way to give the whole soundtrack that 'live' feel.

Finally, the master himself. The pace, the characters reactions to each moment, the framing, all amazing. Every single scene adds to the characters or the drama. Hitch really was a master story teller.

Any other Rear Window or Hitchcock fans? How do you feel this rates in terms of his body of work, your own personal favourite films, or just how does it stack up in a list of all time greats?

For some reason, I don't enjoy current films as much as this (barring a few exceptions such as the Sunrise / Sunset trilogy). Not sure if I am just too nostalgic or if it's a style thing (I hate cheap use of jump cuts and quick edits) or some other reason. Anyone else feel like this?

I love Rear Window, and I speak as someone who is not a big fan of either James Stewart or Grace Kelly, but I enjoyed both of their performances in this. Of course, Thelma Ritter was a joy to watch in everything she appeared in, especially in A Letter to Three Wives, All About Eve, and Titanic (1953).

I don't like all of Hitchcock's films, I watched Marnie this weeks and loathed it, I hate Vertigo too. I am probably the only one who lists Stage Fright as their favourite Hitchcock, along with The Lady Vanishes, Strangers on a Train, Psycho, and Rope.

I just can't be bothered watching recent films, maybe I am stuck in the nostalgic past, but that is my choice, and I would rather watch my favourites of the '40's and '50's than anything released recently/
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it
    But although the film is really about James Stewart's character, it was Grace Kelly and Thelma Ritter who steal the film. Thelma Ritter was one of those actresses who didn't try too hard in her performances, as if they came naturally. While Grace didn't let her sexuality overpower her performance and allowed them to combine both so well. Especially as Alfred Hitcock reportedly only ever hired Grace for her looks and not for her acting. Which is rather sad, as i think Grace was a terrific actress in her short career.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always found the premise a bit weird. If your neighbour or partner spent most of their time looking into other peoples places from a window wouldn't you think them a weirdo and be reporting him? And everyone seems oblivious that neighbours can see everything that is going on in their apartment and seem not to of heard of curtains or blinds.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love that film, one of the few films I can watch over and over. Especially good to watch via a projector in HD since you really see things you can't really see on a TV in the corner of the room.

And it is all about watching, quite sick really. But that's Hitchcock for you!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my Hitch favs...

And it's amazing how many pastiches of the storyline appear in TV series... so maybe that makes it a classic...

[Castle, CSI NY... fairly sure the Simpsons must've done it]
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    And it's amazing how many pastiches of the storyline appear in TV series... so maybe that makes it a classic...
    No pastiche could ever top Body Double - De Palma's lurid, hokey take on both Rear Window and Vertigo. Cracking stuff.

I do agree with much of the above - you can certainly tick all the right boxes regarding Hickcock's handling of it - but it's still one I have issues with. The static setting perhaps, or maybe the cosy familiarity of James Stewart - an element used brilliantly to both offset and draw us into the weirdness of Vertigo, but here doesn't seem to add much. It also seems oddly pitched, somewhere between Hitchcock's thriller-entertainments and his darker work.

Speaking of which, we perhaps need more love for Frenzy. An initially dislikeable piece, yet with the same grim appeal as a particularly nasty scab you can't stop picking at. Of his later work, it's the one I'm strangely drawn to the most.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    One of my Hitch favs...

Bart of Darkness - Back in the days when The Simpsons was worth watching.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Rear Window may have been the first Hitchcock film i ever saw.
    It's a favourite of mine.

The tv series Due South did an episode along the lines of Rear Window & 1 of the episodes of the comedy series The Detectives did a version of Rear Window.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching it for the first and I thought it was incredible. I really enjoyed the camera work and it was certainly innovative. I the thought there was excellent combination of humor and the characterisation was excellent. I liked the way the narrative slowly builds up the tension and then it reaches an excellent climax. I found that typical Hitchcock. It was one of those films that I became slowly engrossed with.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's one of a small list of Hitchcock films that I would want to re-watch now. I can't be bothered with most of his films, and I actually think that some of them are rubbish (eg Rope, the remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much etc.).

The ones I might still watch:-

The 39 Steps
    The Lady Vanishes
    Strangers On A Train
    Rear Window
    North By Northwest
    Psycho

6!

Rebecca and Notorious are both very good.
  • couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE this film. My absolute favourite from Hitch. Everything about it is fantastic. The characters are brilliant. My fave Hitch films are:

Rear Window
    Psycho
    Frenzy
    Strangers on a Train
    The Birds
  • couchpotato2011couchpotato2011 Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of which, we perhaps need more love for Frenzy. An initially dislikeable piece, yet with the same grim appeal as a particularly nasty scab you can't stop picking at. Of his later work, it's the one I'm strangely drawn to the most.

Best use of "You bastard," ever heard in a movie :D

Horrible villain played brilliantly. The scene where he murders the dating agency woman is a masterpiece of cinema, the way the camera pans out, without showing you what happened was genius.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was also a tv movie made back in 1998 with Christopher Reeve & Daryl Hannah.Channel 5 have shown it a few times.
  • heart break kidheart break kid Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    No pastiche could ever top Body Double - De Palma's lurid, hokey take on both Rear Window and Vertigo. Cracking stuff.

I do agree with much of the above - you can certainly tick all the right boxes regarding Hickcock's handling of it - but it's still one I have issues with. The static setting perhaps, or maybe the cosy familiarity of James Stewart - an element used brilliantly to both offset and draw us into the weirdness of Vertigo, but here doesn't seem to add much. It also seems oddly pitched, somewhere between Hitchcock's thriller-entertainments and his darker work.

Ashamed to admit I haven't seen it! I'll certainly seek it out on your recommendation.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Best use of "You bastard," ever heard in a movie :D

Horrible villain played brilliantly. The scene where he murders the dating agency woman is a masterpiece of cinema, the way the camera pans out, without showing you what happened was genius.

Superb last line as well.