day of the doctor to be shared with one direction

adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My daughter, a big Who fan, is also a fan of boyband One Direction and she tells me that they have announced that 23 November will be known as 1D Day. 1D will be playing live, and streaming their concert and other goodies all day, in a 7 hour day-long event. :eek:

Bugger.

I suspect that the audiences won't cross over that much but I bet Moffat and the team are a bit miffed that 1D's Big Day will certainly take a chunk of the available publicity and promotion that day. I wouldn't be surprised if Simon Cowell, :mad: a staunch ITV man, has chosen this date deliberately to take some of the gloss of The Day Of The Doctor. Doctor Who's 50th anniversary is a fixed point in time... surely 1D could have chosen any other day?

...edit... just seen Corwin's post saying much the same thing over on the spoilers thread.

Comments

• DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    One Direction day? Seriously? Oh why can't they just s*d off!
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    ...edit... just seen Corwin's post saying much the same thing over on the spoilers thread.

Because One Direction go quite some way towards spoiling reality?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only Dr Who had some fangirls..
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1D aren't sharing the day...

Stealing, usurping, infecting, infesting,smothering,..are all far more suitable words.

It's down right anti-British of them.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Callous wrote: »
    1D aren't sharing the day...

Stealing, usurping, infecting, infesting,smothering,..are all far more suitable words.

It's down right anti-British of them.

It is. A day that should unite all pop culture lovers and these muppets are sowing division.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Doctor Who's better off without their audience anyway...
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all of One Direction's UK fans are fans of the X-Factor. The only victim here is the X-Factor's ratings, which will take a much larger blow than DW if it comes to a 1D fan mass exodus.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Doctor Who's better off without their audience anyway...

Well that's okay then, They preferred the show under Russell :)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Quite shocked at how much of a response this is getting from people to be honest.

Yes, November 23rd is a special day for Doctor Who fans. Meanwhile the rest of the world still goes on, and there are other things that will happen that day. That will include ITV trying to find something to put up against the anniversary...if you don't like 1D then fine, you have a wonderful anniversary episode to look forward to that day. The world can't just stop for Doctor Who.

For the record, I hate One Direction.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite shocked at how much of a response this is getting from people to be honest.

Yes, November 23rd is a special day for Doctor Who fans. Meanwhile the rest of the world still goes on, and there are other things that will happen that day. That will include ITV trying to find something to put up against the anniversary...if you don't like 1D then fine, you have a wonderful anniversary episode to look forward to that day. The world can't just stop for Doctor Who.

For the record, I hate One Direction.

Of course, some of us could be extracting the Michael. ;)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    On here, some... but not all.

Elsewhere... the sense of entitlement is running high in fandom tonight. :p
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all of One Direction's UK fans are fans of the X-Factor. The only victim here is the X-Factor's ratings, which will take a much larger blow than DW if it comes to a 1D fan mass exodus.

It's been suggested before that TXF isn't running 23/11; this is presumably the replacement.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering it's also a day off the JFK 50th anniversary I imagine there's a few things being shown about that as well, it'll be interesting.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    1 Direction - aren't they a bunch of school kids pretending to be musicians ? Oh they can't be musicians because all they do is prance about and sing (BADLY) to a backing track. Who (no pun) cares what they get up to, I always switch over when they appear on TV.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    It's been suggested before that TXF isn't running 23/11; this is presumably the replacement.

Wouldn't be surprised at this.

I don't blame ITV for trying to find something ultra popular to run against TDOTD - that's what they do. And of course the world goes on regardless of the Who anniversary. No sense of entitlement at all from me.

It's more that I feel that the press and publicity machine will be split rather more than usual and Who's big celebration may lose out a bit to 1D, who, like them or not, are arguably the biggest pop stars in the world right now. Certainly their rabid fans make the most loopy Doctor Who fans look almost normal!!

And yes, I imagine that there be will a fair amount of programming / press coverage of the JFK assassination too. It'll be a busy weekend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are One Direction? Any good?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't imagine Doctor Who would be popular amongst the sort of people who like One Direction. Obviously, there will be some who'll have to chose between watching the Golden Anniversary of a great show and a bunch of people singing songs, but on the whole I don't think Doctor Who will lose many viewers because of a boy band.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't imagine Doctor Who would be popular amongst the sort of people who like One Direction.
    What - children!? Big crossover!

The main thing, is that this is an online event. It's not going to take the TV out of commission - the kids can watch their teeny pop bollocks on the laptop while the adults watch Doctor Who. It's still a spiteful bit of cockjousting, though - a very obvious attempt at stealing Doctor Who's thunder, which hasn't done anything to remedy Simon Cowell's slappability.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I only had two options, watching One Direction or a test card the test card would still win.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who are One Direction?
    Some talent-limited pop boy band for kiddies.
    Any good?
    No.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I severely doubt that a live stream would send ratings plunging. Even if ITV aired it directly against DW, DW would still beat it if only because of parents who can't stand the gits. :D
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I didn't fight in two world wars....

No really, I didn't.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't fight in two world wars....

No really, I didn't.

And 70 years later we have One Direction...

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

I'm blaming you for this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Yeah good luck One Direction, we'll see who's still calling it 'One Direction Day' in 50 more years time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Imagine the Google Doodle for 23rd Nov being a celebration of One Direction! Lucky the reality is it will be Doctor Who who gets the honour, which will help blow them away...especially on the global scale. Cowell can only dream of a simultaneous showing in 30 odd countries at once. (only thing that I think can scupper Doctor Who Google Doodle is JFK...which is entirely possible.)