Options

The Casualty Thread (Spoilers) (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always amuses me when people nit-pick such trivial details in dramas. It isn't a documentary...

Yes, we all want a certain element of realism involved, but almost everything people moan about can either be explained or are so trivial only 5 people in the country even noticed it, let alone cared! Perhaps you'd all be more comfortable sitting down and watching City Hospital! (Though no doubt you'd spot a nurse doing something contrary to procedure and will have to complain about that!).
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm concerned about the glaring medical error - unless there's a medic here who could confirm/deny it. Lots of references to O-positive blood being used prior to crossmatch. I always thought that O rhesus NEGATIVE was used as the Universal Donor...

Anyone care to clarify..?
  • Options
    MrsMRMrsMR Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    O negative is Universal Donor and can be given to anyone whether rhesus negative or positive.
    O Positive blood can be given to anyone Rhesus positive regardless of group... as far as I know
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsMR wrote: »
    O negative is Universal Donor and can be given to anyone whether rhesus negative or positive.
    O Positive blood can be given to anyone Rhesus positive regardless of group... as far as I know
    Going on - is there a fast Rh pos/neg test that can be done in the field? if not.. why is O-pos being given in the field or before crossmatch? I've been watching my DVDs of cardiac Arrest and noticed the glaring difference....

Or is it a calculated risk that's being requested?
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callum9999 wrote: »
    It always amuses me when people nit-pick such trivial details in dramas. It isn't a documentary...

Yes, we all want a certain element of realism involved, but almost everything people moan about can either be explained or are so trivial only 5 people in the country even noticed it, let alone cared! Perhaps you'd all be more comfortable sitting down and watching City Hospital! (Though no doubt you'd spot a nurse doing something contrary to procedure and will have to complain about that!).
    There would probably be posts about how they want the fit doctor to get with the pretty nurse and how much they miss not seeing their favourite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Going on - is there a fast Rh pos/neg test that can be done in the field? if not.. why is O-pos being given in the field or before crossmatch? I've been watching my DVDs of cardiac Arrest and noticed the glaring difference....

Or is it a calculated risk that's being requested?

Well blood group testing isn't particularly difficult, but I highly doubt it. It makes far more sense to just take O negative out with you so it's suitable for most people.

Presumably it's just a mistake that slipped past the medical compliance people.
  • Options
    PattiPatti Posts: 3,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 28 January
    8.50-9.40pm BBC ONE

Linda is faced with a problem when her errant sister fails to return for her children and Dylan meets his match in an acerbic alcoholic in Casualty: Hero Syndrome.

When Linda’s sister Denise disappears on a bender leaving her children, Britney and Joe, behind, Linda is forced to bring them into the ED. The children cause chaos and matters come to a head when Britney steals a baby to get back at her Aunt. But Linda faces an impossible decision when she finds out that Denise is likely to go to jail and the children could be taken into care…

Meanwhile homeless alcoholic Duncan gives Dylan a run for his money when he’s brought into the ED after his trolley of belongings catches fire. Dylan is surprised to find someone ruder and less cooperative than himself, but realises there’s more to Duncan than meets the eye. Using tough love to sort out Duncan’s problems, could Dylan be a secret softie after all?
  • Options
    suzielou1970suzielou1970 Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Anyone else notice Yuki in the Love Film advert thats just started to air?
  • Options
    MrsMRMrsMR Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Anyone else notice Yuki in the Love Film advert thats just started to air?

He was in Sherlock last week as well....in the lab
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the spoiler :) Sounds good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Well blood group testing isn't particularly difficult, but I highly doubt it. It makes far more sense to just take O negative out with you so it's suitable for most people.

Presumably it's just a mistake that slipped past the medical compliance people.
    I was thinking that - but it's the kind of thing that would get emergency medics screaming at the telly...

How to completely cock up the Golden Hour 101 - nasty allergic reaction to the wrong blood type being run in...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping the thread ready for tonight...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Better get reading up on this - as of tonight it'll be my only chance of a Michael French fix!
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 57,012
    Forum Member
    Yaaaaay my birthday ep tonight has nick in it :D i think lenny is in it too :D
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all :D:D:D
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yaaaaay my birthday ep tonight has nick in it :D i think lenny is in it too :D
    Happy birthday:)

Joy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening folks... 3 mins to go...
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some days when you know it's definitely every one else and not you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like all the ICD10 codes during the titles...
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Good episode this week. Really liking the focus on the patients.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member

Agreed. Kinda hope Sam and Dylan get back together.. :D
  • Options
    SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Felt like they were nodding to the original series again with a battered wife trying to get away from her violent husband.

A simular storyline happened in the first series.

Also it was nice to see the patients become the focus.

Also did anyone notice the little glimpse of the new village.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member

Really?? I thought it was alright, clearly wasnt going to be as good as last week though found myself bored at the start when they were introducing the character stories.

Liking Tom Kent :D and Nick was looking fine as usual. Loved the Zoe, Scarlett, Linda gossiping bit and Noel at the start with his microphone.
    Also loving Dylan and Sam :)
  • Options
    Jay LeeJay Lee Posts: 4,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry but I didn't think it was that great an episode; I imagine that many viewers who tuned into Casualty again last week for the first time in ages would have been disappointed too. I realise not every episode of Casualty can be high-octane stunts but tonight's episode was just back to the usual humdrum soap-style that's been afflicting this series for years.

So we have yet another love interest for Nick Jordan. Yawn. Will-they-won't-they with Sam and Dylan. Why couldn't they have just kept Dylan's character as he was and as he worked best?

There was more of an emphasis on the patients but it was hardly original with extramarital affairs left, right and centre. I don't understand why the patients on Casualty have to have complicated personal lives. I know it can be argued that it makes them more interesting but realistic? I'd like to see an innocent patient in ED one episode who is admitted and doesn't turn out to be a criminal / adulterer / relative or long lost friend of one of the medics. It would make for a refreshing change. On the early days of Casualty, you'd get these quirky patients who had no complicated personal lives - just well written patients who provided light relief and a contrast from the main patient stories. The writers need to think about more economical writing for the patients, I feel - tonight just felt OTT and melodramatic.
  • Options
    Terry.RTerry.R Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching tonight's episode, i thought, the actress playing the detective looked familiar. I waited for the credits and Rachel Shelley's name came up. So i looked up the imdb and it was the L Word's Rachel Shelley (i loved her in that) and i couldn't believe i didn't recognise her on the show.
    I hope she's a regular. Casualty could do with some Hollywood glitz.
This discussion has been closed.