Options

Just how do the Pyschics do it?

Comments

• Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..............I can see someone or perhaps a group of people trying to taunt the FM known as "Bollywood" with the parrot lines. Arguing and attempting to degrade Bolly is quite the sport on here. .................

Taunt? Degrade? I'm sure bollywood would be quite capable of holding her own if someone was annoying her. She also demonstrates a fine sense of humour at times. Personally, I have great admiration for bolly's abilities in debate....I've never seen anything like them.
    ...................... I don't have any evidence, nothing in the paranormal was ever put under scrutiny in any way and proven .. ..........

Which is what everyone is commenting on. All it takes is one single psychic to demonstrate their powers under test conditions....they'd get world wide publicity, millions of dollars in prizes, and make R...i look a complete idiot. So why isn't there a rush?
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking that the good people of Digital Spy might consider thinking about how an unscrupulous medium could use today's technology to bamboozle their fans.

Interestingly on Sally page on Facebook the fans are allowed to be as rude and offensive as they like. Anyone expressing negative opinions is likely to banned and threatened with legal action even if they are pefectly polite.

The ones who sing her praises don't seem to be over-burdened with brains or the ability to express well-argued views in grammatical English:

"Sally your amazing and I love u :) take no notice of them haters they are only jealous aha!"

Don't know about you but it convinces me.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would use the words "mean spirited" but I will be told, then I don't like to debate, I don't have any evidence, nothing in the paranormal was ever put under scrutiny in any way and proven and I am just watiing for some of the FM's to get some new lines. Are you not beating a dead horse over and over?
    For as long as mediums continue to claim they can commune with the dead, there will always be those of us who point out the bleeding obvious fact that no credible proof exists.

Of course, any individual 'genuine' medium could easily stun us horrible, cynical sceptics simply by proving their own ability once and for all.
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For as long as mediums continue to claim they can commune with the dead, there will always be those of us who point out the bleeding obvious fact that no credible proof exists.

Of course, any individual 'genuine' medium could easily stun us horrible, cynical sceptics simply by proving their own ability once and for all.

I confidently predict that no psychic/medium or paranormalist that undergoes properly controlled testing will ever be able to show anything over and above what you would expect through chance alone.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally is challenged to prove her powers on Halloween. It involves identifying dead people from their pictures.

In the challenge, Morgan will be shown photographs of 10 deceased women and asked to match each to an entry on a list of their first names, by connecting with their spirits. Singh said the test was expected to last 20 minutes. To pass, Morgan will be required to match seven or more names to the right photographs.

So what do you think of the challenge? Will Sally rise to it?

See Sally Morgan Challenge
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sally is challenged to prove her powers on Halloween. It involves identifying dead people from their pictures.

In the challenge, Morgan will be shown photographs of 10 deceased women and asked to match each to an entry on a list of their first names, by connecting with their spirits. Singh said the test was expected to last 20 minutes. To pass, Morgan will be required to match seven or more names to the right photographs.

Pardon me for being sceptical but I think she may have a prior engagement on that day.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

I'm looking forward to hearing the excuses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm gonna go with 'no'. If I'm right does that prove I'm psychic? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's too much 'negative energy' surrounding this challenge. Sally can't/won't work with all that 'negative energy' around.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to hearing the excuses.
    I think that the response is most likely to be silence. It does have the advantage of being pretty close to what she does or pretends to do now.
    Interesting report from someone who attended her show last night. This was from someone who was a fan but has now been enlightened. The said it really was very bad indeed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

interesting!:D
    but why are they using photos of dead women and sally has to pick a first name off a list,wouldnt a random selection of photos of people some living some dead be better and no lists of names if sally can talk to the dead as she claims this challenge should be a doddle;) if the dead speak to her she doesnt need names on a list etc:rolleyes:
    if i played ip dip over the photos/names on a list whats the betting i could get some right:D

reminds me of the clip of sally holding a photo and saying ive got a bernard here...and the audience member saying thats a photo of our nan:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

interesting!:D
    but why are they using photos of dead women and sally has to pick a first name off a list,wouldnt a random selection of photos of people some living some dead be better and no lists of names if sally can talk to the dead as she claims this challenge should be a doddle;) if the dead speak to her she doesnt need names on a list etc:rolleyes:
    if i played ip dip over the photos/names on a list whats the betting i could get some right:D
    That is the point it is supposed to be a doddle. If Sally were to take and pass the test it would be the first step to harder ones. Not that she is likely to do the test.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what do you think of the challenge?

The design looks sound but it's been created without Sally actually claiming that she can do this under the conditions imposed.

Tests should always be designed in collaboration with the applicant (although no application was made by Sally) so that:
    1. The test addresses what the applicant actually claims to be able to do;
    2. Under which conditions; and
    3. To what accuracy.
    It's just another adversarial challenge that will be perceived as a confrontational taunt by the people (believers in psychics) that the skeptics are so naively trying to 'edumicate'.
    Will Sally rise to it?

Nope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is the point it is supposed to be a doddle. If Sally were to take and pass the test it would be the first step to harder ones. Not that she is likely to do the test.

oh i see!:Di see some excuses on the horizon:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but why are they using photos of dead women and sally has to pick a first name off a list,wouldnt a random selection of photos of people some living some dead be better and no lists of names

The thing is that in order to score the results accurately, you need to know the exact odds of each outcome occurring by chance.

This is designed as a 'matching problem' which means this can be done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The design looks sound but it's been created without Sally actually claiming that she can do this under the conditions imposed.

Tests should always be designed in collaboration with the applicant ............

Which is precisely how the JREF challenge works. The applicant suggests the test, the conditions under which it'll be run, and the criteria for success or failure. Negotiation starts from there, until agreement is reached, or the applicant withdraws.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is that in order to score the results accurately, you need to know the exact odds of each outcome occurring by chance.

This is designed as a 'matching problem' which means this can be done.

The odds can be calculated, easily, by someone with the appropriate skill; and there are millions around the world. Let's hope there's at least one reading this thread.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be surprised if she could pass a test like the one designed. It is not about the odds so much as matching a test to what she (says she) does or has done in the past.

Not that I claim to be a researcher, but it's not the test I would design.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Which is precisely how the JREF challenge works. The applicant suggests the test, the conditions under which it'll be run, and the criteria for success or failure. Negotiation starts from there, until agreement is reached, or the applicant withdraws.

And is precisely what has not occurred here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The odds can be calculated, easily, by someone with the appropriate skill

I know.

I was pointing out that in order to be able to score a test like this one accurately, you need to know such odds before the test is carried out.
    and there are millions around the world. Let's hope there's at least one reading this thread.

Well there is at least one FM who could state the odds exactly. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if she could pass a test like the one designed.

It could be passed by someone with psychic ability.
    It is not about the odds so much as matching a test to what she (says she) does or has done in the past.

Well she does do this on stage - but she hasn't claimed or agreed that she can do it under the conditions proposed by the challenge.

It's a very good and valid design that can be used for this type of claim.

There's nothing wrong with the design of the test, even if the odds have been set a little high IMO, it's the fact that SM hasn't applied to do it that's the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be surprised if she could pass a test like the one designed. It is not about the odds so much as matching a test to what she (says she) does or has done in the past.

What sort of test would you design? And what would regard as acceptable odds against an ordinary non-medium passing the test by chance?
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't we already got a huge psychic thread for this sort of thing? It is a matter of belief anyway. Most people who go to see psychics or mediums, what ever, go because they mostly believe and the odd person who is perhaps just curious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Haven't we already got a huge psychic thread for this sort of thing? It is a matter of belief anyway. Most people who go to see psychics or mediums, what ever, go because they mostly believe and the odd person who is perhaps just curious.
    No, it is not simply a matter of belief. The existence of an afterlife may be a matter of belief, but a person's claims to be able to communicate with the afterlife are perfectly testable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And is precisely what has not occurred here.

I didn't say it had: I was merely commenting on a line in your post:
    .........Tests should always be designed in collaboration with the applicant .............
    I know.

I was pointing out that in order to be able to score a test like this one accurately, you need to know such odds before the test is carried out.

Obviously, I thought you were intimating that this would be an extremely difficult thing to calculate.
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Haven't we already got a huge psychic thread for this sort of thing? .........

We used to have ....more than one ....but mysterious forces diappeared them in the night.