Hillsborough documents to be released on Wednesday (12th September) at 2pm

Comments

• Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps. Of course she would support the police, it was her duty as PM to do so. Especially after their assistance in the strikes...

The growing distrust between the working class and police during the 80s did not help matters.

Yes at the time they were Thatcher's private thug squad to do her bidding, so she would always back them up in a crisis.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    This. The attitude was police are always right, football fans are always wrong, which the police exploited for their own benefit.

Which sadly the minority of hooligans in the past helped shore up the police version, genuine fans suffered that day not only from offical incompetence but also from the behaviour of previous hooligans and those hooligans handed the police an excuse on a plate that many would readily believe.
  • Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Just heard radio 1 play You'll never walk alone (original version). Never has a record made me pull over because of welling up. Can see a lot of people downloading this. Future number 1?

The Rogers and Hammerstein original from the musical Carousel or the criminal rip off pop song by Gerry Marsden?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC0lOHBxreg&feature=related
  • joopyjoopy Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An 'Independent' panel headed by the Bishop Of Liverpool. :D
  • habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelvin Mckenzie can stick his "profuse apology" up his fat arse. Scumbag
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habanala wrote: »

Agreed, in a place where the sun does not shine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    The victims were innocent, they were the ones at the front with tickets who turned up early. Were those who were late and pushing and shoving at the rear breathalized, they were the guilty ones.

The large number of latecomers was caused by roadworks on the motorway, which prevented some coaches from arriving on time. The police control room should have known this, and been prepared for coachloads of people trying to get in at the last minute. They could have delayed kick-off, made tannoy announcements outside and headed off a lot of the crush. Wanting to get into a football match before kick-off is not reckless or strange or restricted to Liverpool fans. It is normal behaviour, similar to the stampedes you get at the first day of the January sales.

The Taylor Report put together data from the turnstiles and police headcounts, and came to the conclusion that there was a very small number of people without tickets (I think the figure was 25) spread around inside.

The "drunk and ticketless" mantra of the Scouser-haters has now been proven to be a media slander campaign by the police, assisted by the government. Disgusting.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy who wrote the article in The Sun that day is trying to back peddle somewhat on it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-19507065

Wormy... Typical
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I can gather, the papers (if they exist) giving details of the meetings between South Yorkshire police and Margaret Thatcher and Douglas Hurd have not been released.
    Labour's Andy Burnham is calling for any such documents to be released.

Papers do exist

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17238494

Cabinet Office papers from 1989 seen by the BBC show how Margaret Thatcher's government was misinformed about the cause of the Hillsborough disaster - and illustrate why the Information Commissioner demanded the disclosure of these secret documents

Lady Thatcher's then press secretary Sir Bernard Ingham has already revealed that when he accompanied her on a visit to the stadium the day after the tragedy, they were told the incident was the fault of a "tanked-up mob" of Liverpool supporters.

What we now know is that a similar message was coming to her, not only from the force which had made catastrophic errors in policing the FA Cup semi-final, but also from the top ranks of the police force covering the locality of most of the victims - the bereaved families and the anguished survivors.

Of course this document only reveals what was said in the period soon afterwards, and those involved may have changed their minds as further evidence came to light.

But it is interesting to note that the position of the senior Merseyside officers conflicted with that taken at the same time by some junior ranks in the same force
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trevor Hicks says former Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie's apology to the families of the victims is "too little, too late. The man is low-life".

Looks as if MacKenzie burnt his bridge a long time ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather see a mass boycott of The Sun nationally. Petty I know, but that would grant some satisfaction, an immature one, but nevertheless satisfaction.

I would like to see The Sun sold, I wouldnt blame everyone there today for what the organisation has done in the past, a new owner and a new broom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how this is going to effect the Leveson inquiry? Papers printing lies and all that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I would like to see The Sun sold, I wouldnt blame everyone there today for what the organisation has done in the past, a new owner and a new broom.
    I believe a leopard can never change its spots.

The culture of lies and slander still exists in that organisation, and in others as well.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said on an earlier post, let's hope KMc does not earn another penny on British televsion is any way shape or form.
    He has been on too many chat shows, panels etc far too much. Why should we belive him any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said on an earlier post, let's hope KMc does not earn another penny on British televsion is any way shape or form.
    He has been on too many chat shows, panels etc far too much. Why should we belive him any way.

He has been on Question Time far too many times for my liking. The stuff he spews is unbelievable. His defence of the hacking of various people was just shocking.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    The whole truth will not come out, so justice will not be completely done. Those who call for the truth won't acknowledge the parts they are uncomfortable with which are as followed:

Had nobody who didn't have tickets prior to the day of the match traveled to Hillsborough, and had none of the people who traveled to Hillsborough consumed alcohol prior to trying to enter the stadium, the Hillsborough Disaster would have been less disastrous.

Not only should the police fully acknowledge responsibility for all their failings, but Liverpool and their fans should fully accept responsibility for their failings, and they should have done that before demaning inquiries etc.

Are you going to apologise, now that the report says catagorically that FANS WERE ENTIRELY BLAMELESS.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habanala wrote: »

So why were people demanding that he apologise if they weren't willing to accept one?
  • habanalahabanala Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    So why were people demanding that he apologise if they weren't willing to accept one?

Because its too little too late, he has said for years he will never apologise but now he comes crawling out the woodwork and were supposed to just forgive him and accept it? Bullshit. He is not sorry one bit
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see if the government documents from the time get released.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I've had a skim through the report online and as far as I can see there is virtually no mention whatsoever, let alone an investigation, of the circumstances leading to the crush outside the ground. Yet the fans are "exonerated" from any part in the disaster?

Biased much? I suppose when the "independent" panel is headed by the Bishop of Liverpool and consists of (or might as well), Jimmy Tarbuck, the cast of Brookside, Cilla Black and Kenny Dalglish they're hardly likely to include anything that even remotely suggests that some Liverpool fans contributed in any way to the chain of events causing the disaster.

My god, its spite of overwhelming evidence of no blame on the fans you still WANT to believe they were at fault.. you SKIMMED the document???. Pls examine your prejudices, and be honest with yourself.
    amd you last few sentences are reprehensible and callous in the extreme.
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Are you going to apologise, now that the report says catagorically that FANS WERE ENTIRELY BLAMELESS.

...the report by the Bishop of Liverpool.

Can't wait for next week's Indepent investigation into fast food standards by Ronald McDonald.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What happens if the documents say things that Liverpool fans don't want to hear?
    There was no chance of that
    Hotelier wrote: »

If that's the case, the reports totally lacks credibility
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    The fall out from this will go far beyond Hillsborough, beyond Liverpool and beyond football itself. If a police force can go to the extremes to cover up 96 deaths at a football match you have to wonder what else has been covered up at this level (and possibly above) over the years.

I think, like the hacking scandal, that this will move to make larger changes over time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »

To see if there is a decent bone in his body? Still doubtful or he would have apologised a long time ago, he is still wriggling off the hook!
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    DS supporting football fans. :eek: That makes a change.