ridiculous new Daily Mail article on John Peel

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »

Given that rumours were quite widespread when Savile was alive, it's very odd that it's taken all this time to come out in public. Victims are saying they couldn't complain as he was too powerful in the BBC, but what stopped them going to the police?

They did, we can only assume the police were in on the cover up.

This is only the tip of the iceberg!!:eek:
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    The Daily Mail seem to be enjoying this all a little too much, they don't seem to care who they drag into it. From what I have read neither the girl John Peel married nor this one that has just come forward have made complaints about him. I feel sorry for his family.

Also it is a fact of being a celebrity that you have groupies, I think it was one of the members of Bros who said that when they were around in the 80's they had groupies that they slept with. I know with Heavy Metal/Rock bands they have no qualms about sleeping with groupies. It is different to what Jimmy Saville is alledged to have done. I say alledged because he is not here to defend himself so we only have these grown women's say so.
  • FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every person following this story should be made to watch a production of The Crucible.

Nothing like some analogical context.

Absolutely. Over on the Jimmy Savile thread posters are throwing names into the mix and the immediate response seems to be if they've been named they are guilty. They have unearthed at least 7 since yesterday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are probably a lot of people who aren't famous and who we have never heard of and haven't been named in any showbiz forum boards who are feeling very nervous at the moment at the thought of any in depth investigations.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While the Mail keeps burying us in groupie confessions it's going to be hard to concentrate on the genuine victims of this scandal. Gotta admit this thread title is more accurate than the last John Peel one. Wonder when Polly Crackers'll turn up.
  • Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's crazy, I think you're right that the Mail are loving this. How long before they move onto the likes of Wogan, Harris and Parkinson?!?

It's disgusting, like suddenly every older man is a dirt old pervert just because of Saville.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    After months of the Leveson enquiry showing the extent the press would go to get (or make up) a story it seems readers are only too willing to believe everything the rags can dig up/pay for over this issue.
  • Pollymath1Pollymath1 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Has anyone seen that awful Hardeep Singh Kohli popping up anywhere lately?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damanda wrote: »
    There is another thread on showbiz that is naming them using the worst code ever.

Some of the things being said about people who are likely totally innocent is dreadful.
    Its like washerwomen gossiping.

The amount of conspiracy theories going on in that thread are ridiculous
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Salem all over again and the Daily Mail is the chief witch finder. Trouble is the more ridiculous stories they print of the many groupies who were running after the celebs of the 70s, desperate to sleep with them, the less chance there is of people taking the real accounts of underage sexual activity or other sexual abuse seriously. Not that the DM care, they'll be too busy headlining Kate Middleton's new handbag or something to be bothered about their irresponsible reporting on really serious stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    I was a friend of John Peel for nearly twenty years and he was a incredible kind and gentle man who would be willing to do things for complete strangers.

At festivals he would have his family staying with him and I certainly never saw him exploiting his position.

I respected him when he was alive and I still respect him.
    davidmcn wrote: »
    He also seemed to have a much more healthy attitude towards women (being vocal about sexist attitudes or lyrics etc in the music industry) while his contemporaries were still doing wet t-shirt competitions at the Radio 1 roadshow. The idea of him being some sort of lecherous womanising beast doesn't really stick.

You're joking right?

Yeah, his Schoolgirl of the Year competition was the height of class. As was complaining on air that american teenagers wouldn't go all the way.

He admits in his autobiography to abusing underage girls, get a clue.

A man's music taste and cuddly public image don't outweigh being a sad, creepy little man with a liking for young girls.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Damn, she looks hot in that pic, looks older than 17.. It's a shame she went through a 'traumatic abortion' :( and yeah, 15 is very young to start a relationship with a guy so much older, but the article does sort of say he didn't know her age: 'he didn't ask, but he must have known'. Maybe he didn't, I mean she could pass for early 20's in that pic so probably looked older at 15 too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    He also seemed to have a much more healthy attitude towards women (being vocal about sexist attitudes or lyrics etc in the music industry) while his contemporaries were still doing wet t-shirt competitions at the Radio 1 roadshow. The idea of him being some sort of lecherous womanising beast doesn't really stick.

This whole thing has become a typical Mail witch hunt. Jimmy Saville is a different matter entirely, if the allegations are true (and judging by the amount of people coming forward they probably are) then he was a sexual predator, but is every male celebrity who ever slept with a young girl one? No.

All this boils down to is male celebrity sleeps with groupie, as is that really news?? My worry is that women like the one in the article here are going to drown out genuine victims.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daily Heil was no doubt desperate to get some dirt on someone they perceived as liberal or left wing. I loved John Peel and his radio 4 show about family life etc was one of my favourite programmes ever. I refuse to think of him as anything other than what he appeared to be.

Jimmy Savile on the other hand, a different thing. Those of us from Leeds heard the rumours thirty years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anybody anywhere come up with a link to John Peel's Schoolgirl of the Year competition which a) isn't from the Daily Mail's article or commenting on it, b) isn't from Julie Birchall's rant against Peel in 1998 which the Mail got their 'information' from (and in which she also claimed Peel didn't play any black music) or c) isn't a photo of his Sounds calendar where he dressed up as a schoolgirl?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boat wrote: »
    You're joking right?

Yeah, his Schoolgirl of the Year competition was the height of class. As was complaining on air that american teenagers wouldn't go all the way.

A man's music taste and cuddly public image don't outweigh being a sad, creepy little man with a liking for young girls.
    What Schoolgirl Of The Year competiton?

Sounds like someone needs to get a clue.

EDIT: Oops, vidalia beat me to it.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see it's now been bumped up the page to the top news story now too. As long as people read it till the bottom its fine, but I can't imagine many people do.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Has Benny Hill had any accusations thrown at him yet?

Yes. Physical abuse in the form of repeatedly slapping the bald head of a small Irish man. :mad:
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    what's the gist, morals etc I think it is probably to do with lies perpetuating more lies and trouble but not sure:confused: basic analysis needed :D
    It reflects McCarthyism from the US in the 50s where everyone was suspected of being a Communist. A US Senator investigated loads of people, particularly in Hollywood to uncover 'evidence' that they were communists.
    Arthur Miller uses the 17th Century Salem witch trials to illustrate what happens when people start to believe anything, will look for any evidence to fit what they want to believe and generally stir up the mob to fit their own ends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    After months of the Leveson enquiry showing the extent the press would go to get (or make up) a story it seems readers are only too willing to believe everything the rags can dig up/pay for over this issue.

Even before the Leveson inquiry people were aware that newspapers were not exactly highly moral places, the inquiry may have given us details but was anyone really shocked? Yet even now people believe everything they read.

You would have thought the inquiry would change the way newspapers work, but it seems not, it's crazy. Thank god the format is dying out.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    While the Mail keeps burying us in groupie confessions it's going to be hard to concentrate on the genuine victims of this scandal. Gotta admit this thread title is more accurate than the last John Peel one. Wonder when Polly Crackers'll turn up.

Hmm maybe I can earn some money from the days I hung out at the Rum Runner & Blitz
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Boat wrote: »
    You're joking right?

I think it is you who needs to "get a clue".

The Schoolgirl of the Year "competition" is a complete lie, a fabrication, it never happened and is a myth based upon a photo taken of him dressed in a schoolgirl uniform with the title "Schoolgirl of the Year" for a calendar.

But then why let a few minor details like facts get in the way, eh?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the the 'proof'?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHN-PEEL-SCHOOLGIRL-RARE-GIANT-NEWSPRINT-POSTER-/230768744823?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bae39977
    Having done a search for school girls and Peel, I just get the same phrase repeated, which suggests they are just quoting Birchill (agenda free Birchill of course) So where is the source for this and what exactly is school girl of the year?
  • Pollymath1Pollymath1 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Peel's blindingly loyal fans are still in the denial phase I see!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polly still sticking its fingers in its ears and posting trollbait I see. I know, I shouldn't feed it really.