Options

Football autobiographies / biographies

Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There was a thread on here somewhere discussing the same topic, but I gave up trying to find it. Anyway, what football autobiographies or biographies can you recommend? Which ones were terrible?

I have just finished Andrea Pirlo's "I think therefore I play". He describes little episodes of his life (in no particular order) in the various teams he has played in and paints a picture of some of his managers, club owners and team mates. It's extremely funny and I found myself laughing out loud on almost every page. It's also a real page turner and I finished reading it in 2 days. Pirlo only very very briefly touches upon his family (only mentioning them in fleeting) but concentrates on his club and World Cup 2006 experiences.

The one thing I never realised was how incredibly arrogant Pirlo is. That was quite a shock when reading this book. I knew he was cool, but I didn't know he thought he was the coolest person of all time in the whole wide universe. I must say he makes Ibrahimovic (whom he doesn't seem to like) and Ronaldo (whom he calls "the other one" in contrast to the "real Ronaldo") appear quite modest.

I also now have new found respect for Gattuso who it appears got tormented by his team mates (Pirlo being one of them) at Milan and the national team, but dealt with it like man by beating them up constantly.

Anyway, it's a very enjoyable read and it will certainly make you laugh.

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read a fair few in my time,the one that I think is quite good from an honesty point of view is Keith Gillispie's one, he has lots of tales of woe to tell, without trying to look for sympathy.

Another one that I liked was Zlatan's, hopefully he releases an updated version, as it would be interesting to hear about his time at PSG.

Other ones that I would recommend would be, Hope Solo's, the biography of Robert Enke, Garrincha, Messi and Pep Guadiola (two differt books) by Guillem Balague, and Sir Bobby Charlton's two books, one on his United years, the other on his England years.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't read too many autobiographies.

Think the last book I read was the Alex Ferguson one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how Zlatan hates Pep Guadiola whereas Pirlo apparently adores him to the point that he wanted to kidnap him (according to his book). I also never realised how close Pirlo came to signing for Barcelona, Real and Chelsea and that it wasn't his love for Milan that stopped those deals.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Must admit am tempted to read van gaals book
    He certainly had some huge clubs not to mention his clashes with cruyff probably wait bit till it drops in price tho , reading book on 90s arm it's got everything from poll tax riot to dome
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have started buying books on Kindle, far better for an oldie like me! Diego Torres book about Jose Mourinho is a fantastic read, it deals with his time at Real Madrid and it is crazy. Pirlo`s book was good although I never really picked up on his arrogance, maybe it came over that way in translation? I enjoyed Stan Bowles book and Alan Mullery`s was a good read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I have started buying books on Kindle, far better for an oldie like me! Diego Torres book about Jose Mourinho is a fantastic read, it deals with his time at Real Madrid and it is crazy. Pirlo`s book was good although I never really picked up on his arrogance, maybe it came over that way in translation? I enjoyed Stan Bowles book and Alan Mullery`s was a good read.

Hmm... my Italian is not good enough to read the original, but it just seemed like he was very bitter about never winning the Ballon d'Or and that he thought of himself as a gift to mankind. He comes across as very intelligent with an amazing sense of humour though. I found it a bit off that he never actually had any loyalty to Milan and would have left years before he did had they let him go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »

Thank you. Maybe the two threads could be merged?

I would love to read a bio on Paolo Maldini after a watching a documentary on him. Could anyone recommend any? I am yet to find a person who did not like/admire/adore him. That he never won a title with the national team is so sad. I used to watch replays of the 2000 Euro final every time expecting a different ending. They literally threw away victory in the last seconds of the game. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    Thank you. Maybe the two threads could be merged?

I would love to read a bio on Paolo Maldini after a watching a documentary on him. Could anyone recommend any? I am yet to find a person who did not like/admire/adore him. That he never won a title with the national team is so sad. I used to watch replays of the 2000 Euro final every time expecting a different ending. They literally threw away victory in the last seconds of the game. :(

Gutted Italy tho it away, nothing to do with fact that 20 of us where I then worked put £5 in a sweepstake and I had Italy & what's worse the hatred boss Got France >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maldini would have won a Ballon d'Or had he won that title. It's really criminal that he was overlooked for that. As much as I love Fabio Cannavaro, Paolo Maldini was like the model of a perfect defender and deserved to be the first defender in decades to win the award.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try 'Walking on water' by Brian Clough.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A search before making a new thread would be unlikely to pick that up considering it says 'biographys'
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maldini would have won a Ballon d'Or had he won that title. It's really criminal that he was overlooked for that. As much as I love Fabio Cannavaro, Paolo Maldini was like the model of a perfect defender and deserved to be the first defender in decades to win the award.

Maldini? Just a poor man's Luke Shaw.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't the biography of anyone who is still young and playing. It just seems like a money making racket to me. I would sooner wait until their playing/managerial career is over before I read them. Not just football. Who the hell wants to read the Bio of someone like Joey Essex and the ilk?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I need to read Luke Shaw's biography
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Diego Maradona's biography by Jimmy Burns. The Hand Of God.

Its my favourite biography that i've read. I didnt make much of Zlatan Ibrahimovic's biography. I thought it repeated alot.
    Ive read a couple about Arsene Wenger from the library, I can't remember who wrote them but they were decent.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Try 'Walking on water' by Brian Clough.

A brilliant read.

Another couple for us of the older persuasion are "The way it was" by Stanley Mathews, and "1966 And all that" by Geoff Hurst.

I avoid bios of current players, as they seem little more than money making exercises.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Think after the much hyped biographys of Rio/lampard & Gerrard before 2010 world cup, plus yet another (not first or last) no show by the players, I guess nobody wanted to know about them, all 3 were in asdas for under £10 within month
    Notice there was no books this time
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think after the much hyped biographys of Rio/lampard & Gerrard before 2010 world cup, plus yet another (not first or last) no show by the players, I guess nobody wanted to know about them, all 3 were in asdas for under £10 within month

They're probably in the pound shops now.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm... my Italian is not good enough to read the original, but it just seemed like he was very bitter about never winning the Ballon d'Or and that he thought of himself as a gift to mankind. He comes across as very intelligent with an amazing sense of humour though. I found it a bit off that he never actually had any loyalty to Milan and would have left years before he did had they let him go.

Fair enough, although isn`t he an Inter fan? I would love to see a Paolo Rossi biography being released in English, his is an amazing story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They're probably in the pound shops now.
    Tbh, I probably read Rios out of that lot, because he always talks highly of his time with us, also I really enjoyed his punditry this summer as well, came across very well
  • Options
    guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Jordan book is a good read ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Fair enough, although isn`t he an Inter fan? I would love to see a Paolo Rossi biography being released in English, his is an amazing story.

He ran like the wind as soon as Hodgson became coach :D I would love to read Rossi's story. Isn't is funny how Italy win the World Cup only if there is a major betting scandal at home?
    Tbh, I probably read Rios out of that lot, because he always talks highly of his time with us, also I really enjoyed his punditry this summer as well, came across very well

Ugh... I appear to be the only one who thinks Rio was a terrible pundit, so boring. He had nothing to say and I thought he was one of the most overrated players ever. I really don't get the fascination with Rio. I thought he was devoid of personality both on and off the pitch.

Henry and Cannavaro were great pundits I thought. Both have a great understanding of the game, which they showed as players too. Henry's English is better of course.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England's Rio Ferdinand bad, Italy's Fabio Cannavaro good.

Zidane could have sat there one game making fart noises in his armpit and he'd have been the bestest best pundit ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    England's Rio Ferdinand bad, Italy's Fabio Cannavaro good.

Zidane could have sat there one game making fart noises in his armpit and he'd have been the bestest best pundit ever.

Correct. Zidane was the best at everything though. Have you ever seen anyone headbutt the way he did? And in the WC final too! Just pure class...

Although Cannavaro doesn't like Zidane, so if I was pushed, I'd have to give my preference to King Cannavaro.