Options

USB power alone for 2.5" HDD inserted into 3.5" adapter inserted into 3.5" USB 2.0 en

Hi guys,

My brother and his fiancee have filled a 1TB 2.5" USB HDD connected to a USB 2.0 port on their Panasonic TX-L32E30B TV (2011) with PVR recordings, and are looking to upgrade to a 2TB HDD.

For now, they want to continue with a 2.5" HDD as they like that it is powered by USB alone and doesn't additionally require mains power like a 3.5" HDD. However, there's a chance that they might require a 3TB or 4TB HDD for their TV at some point so will have to tolerate this.

If they insert a 2TB internal SATA HDD (12.5mm depth as the standalone Samsung M9T is expensive) into a tool-less StarTech 2.5" to 3.5" SATA Aluminum Hard Drive Adapter Enclosure 25SAT35HDD ( http://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/sets/25SAT35HDD_Manual/25SAT35HDD.pdf - is this the best adapter?) and insert that into a tool-less 3.5" USB 3.0 (connected to USB 2.0 on TV) Akasa Lokstor X31 AK-TL3SEB-BK ( http://www.akasa.co.uk/download/manual/LokstorX31_installation.pdf ), will the HDD function without the mains cable being connected to the Lokstor X31?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,

My brother and his fiancee have filled a 1TB 2.5" USB HDD connected to a USB 2.0 port on their Panasonic TX-L32E30B TV (2011) with PVR recordings, and are looking to upgrade to a 2TB HDD.

For now, they want to continue with a 2.5" HDD as they like that it is powered by USB alone and doesn't additionally require mains power like a 3.5" HDD. However, there's a chance that they might require a 3TB or 4TB HDD for their TV at some point so will have to tolerate this.

If they insert a 2TB internal SATA HDD (12.5mm depth as the standalone Samsung M9T is expensive) into a tool-less StarTech 2.5" to 3.5" SATA Aluminum Hard Drive Adapter Enclosure 25SAT35HDD ( http://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/sets/25SAT35HDD_Manual/25SAT35HDD.pdf - is this the best adapter?) and insert that into a tool-less 3.5" USB 3.0 (connected to USB 2.0 on TV) Akasa Lokstor X31 AK-TL3SEB-BK ( http://www.akasa.co.uk/download/manual/LokstorX31_installation.pdf ), will the HDD function without the mains cable being connected to the Lokstor X31?

Thanks,

Nick

I know I am obviously missing something blindingly obvious and being incredibly stupid here but... :D:D

Why the hell muck about with all of this malarkey when surely a 2.5in USB enclosure would do the job a hell of a lot easier?

And I would imagine that as the 3.5in enclosure has a mains power supply it is very likely it needs it and won't work just off USB.
  • Options
    dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Why the hell muck about with all of this malarkey when surely a 2.5in USB enclosure would do the job a hell of a lot easier?

Thanks for your comments. They want to minimise the use of a mains adapter if at all possible, but if they do end up requiring a 3TB or 4TB hard drive then these are not available in 2.5" format.

If they buy a 2.5" enclosure then that will then become redundant. They also have reasons for not simply buying a 2.5" USB hard drive and then selling it on, but these reasons aren't relevant to this discussion.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Was gonna say the same. I'm running my makeshift PVR off a basic 2.5" USB enclosure I picked up from Amazon for about £2. Generally 2.5" drives can run off USB without the need for extra power. In some cases the enclosure will have an additional USB connector to provide a higher voltage but I've never needed it in my experience. Unfortunately my particular one wont be able to accommodate a 12.5mm drive but I would imagine there is an alternative on there that would work though.