Options

How much time do you waste at work?

EavesyEavesy Posts: 45
Forum Member
Here I have an infographic from software company Elf Productivity all about how much time we waste at work. The infographic on how much time we waste in meetings, reading pointless emails and messing about on the internet, social sites etc.

Check out the infographic by clicking the link below:

http://www.timeandattendance.co.uk/blog/index.php/how-much-time-do-you-waste-at-work/

What do you think? Can any of you think of other ways we waste time at work?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A main one for me is when colleagues start chatting to me about non-work stuff, and I don't want to be rude and tell them to go away. :p
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I waste most time on DS.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This works the other way around. What about the overtime people work without getting paid for it. My basic week is 37 hours but not many jobs in the office are on the clock so the chances are most people are either starting early or end up finishing late. Even it is things like catching up with work e-mail responding to calls outside work hours most people do more hours than they are paid.

Then you include other things such as having to travel. If like me you have to travel to customer sites which is normally outside normal hours which you don't get paid for.

Plus most jobs where social media can be accessed are not manual work which is focused on pure production. It tends to be more creative. For example if you troubleshooting an issue you not looking for results based on the time you spend on it but how quickly you can solve the issue. At times I find taking a break 5 minute walk to make a tea to get your thought process in order can be more productive than looking a screen of errors.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much collective time has been wasted by people coming up with the word "infographic" to replace "diagram" or possibly even "pikchure"
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I worked I occasionally went to the toilet.
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I waste hardly any time at work, this means I can go home early :)
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very little, really. We have a weekly team meeting, which is invariably used for agreeing how we're going to comply with the latest silly demands from our funders and making sure the 4 of us are all adopting the same approach to issues so that there's consistency, and a monthly supervision with my manager which isn't a load of old waffle.

Emails that aren't directly relevant to what I'm doing go straight in the deleted folder and any quiet spells when I literally don't have any thing to do I spend reading bulletins and updates to make sure I'm up to date with all the latest test cases etc.
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have done a big job and have about 15 mins till you finish, there's no point in starting anything else. So I usually potter around for those last 15 mins pretending to do stuff.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    37 and a half hours a week.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    37 and a half hours a week.

Agree. It's all a waste of time.
  • Options
    made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I actually feel guilty if I have nothing to do at work! My work ethic is a bit to strong - The person I manage hates me as I crack the whip!

This time of year we are fairly slack it drives me mad. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I don't really waste any time, unless i've got time to waste that is! If we're quiet, i'm quite happy to ready pointless emails, browse DS etc, knowing full well that when we're busy, i'll be working more hours than i'm supposed to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually feel guilty if I have nothing to do at work! My work ethic is a bit to strong - The person I manage hates me as I crack the whip!

This time of year we are fairly slack it drives me mad. :D

I managed to do a whole days work in 4 hours in a job I used to have. I had to pretend to do work for another 4 hours, I figured it might pee some others off knowing they go slow or slower or get them in trouble with the boss. So, yea 4 hours of pushing a pen that didn't touch the paper, phony phone calls (called my home answer-machine), getting a coffee and walking one footstep a minute, jamming the printer so I could unjam it.

I was snowed under that day.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of my wasted time is spent deleting pointless emails that I'm CC'd in. 90% of these emails are nothing to do with me so go straight in the deleted folder.
  • Options
    made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Most of my wasted time is spent deleting pointless emails that I'm CC'd in. 90% of these emails are nothing to do with me so go straight in the deleted folder.

I really hate being CC'd it likes people love to make a point and make things seem important!

I really get annoyed if someone CC my line manager - Like it's going to scare me into doing there task before my other work :D:):D
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My last job, I could not waste time at work. My new job, allows me to do that.
    I prefer being busy than wasting but new job only goves me the opportunity to waste time.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say I waste much time - I'd say about 5 minutes general chit chat here and there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate being CC'd it likes people love to make a point and make things seem important!

I really get annoyed if someone CC my line manager - Like it's going to scare me into doing there task before my other work :D:):D

Every now and then, (usually when I'm having a bad day generally), I send an email out to everyone, asking them to be mindful when using the CC function. Think, do you really need to CC half the flaming company when sending out emails.

This usually works for all of one or two days >:(

I sometimes think we'd be better off getting rid of emails (at work I mean). Let's start TALKING to people again (tho I usually ignore the work mobile too:D).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Every now and then, (usually when I'm having a bad day generally), I send an email out to everyone, asking them to be mindful when using the CC function. Think, do you really need to CC half the flaming company when sending out emails.

This usually works for all of one or two days >:(

I sometimes think we'd be better off getting rid of emails (at work I mean). Let's start TALKING to people again (tho I usually ignore the work mobile too:D).

You may call me old fashioned if you like, but what's wrong with the carrier pigeon?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me, waste time? Never. Everything I do is important. Even this post.
    c0lefax wrote: »
    You may call me old fashioned if you like, but what's wrong with the carrier pigeon?

Pigeons are coo coo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c0lefax wrote: »
    You're old fashioned :D:D:o
  • Options
    EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,287
    Forum Member
    Eavesy wrote: »
    Here I have an infographic from software company Elf Productivity all about how much time we waste at work. The infographic on how much time we waste in meetings, reading pointless emails and messing about on the internet, social sites etc.

Check out the infographic by clicking the link below:

http://www.timeandattendance.co.uk/blog/index.php/how-much-time-do-you-waste-at-work/

What do you think? Can any of you think of other ways we waste time at work?

None. Nah, I spend quite a lot of time on the internet on the days I'm supposed to be working, so yeah, quite a lot.
  • Options
    JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't, my internet usage is monitored. Different story when I'm at college though.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    The tea round!

If i finish at 9 and someone asks me to do the tea round at 8:45 i whip round the whole ward and get the round done and the tea trolley cleaned and away in time for me to finish at 8:58 and get my form signed, collect my bag and be gone at 9.

But if i start the tea round at about 8:15 i can stretch it out to take me exactly to 8:58 without it being obvious.

One of my best skills.