Options

Stop Street Harrasment Of Women

Isabel7Isabel7 Posts: 47
Forum Member
I am fed up of men calling out when I walk down the street. I love what his woman did - she wore a video camera and recorded harassment by men.

Watch here: http://www.newstwitter.com/a-woman-wore-a-hidden-camera-to-show-how-many-times-in-a-day-she-gets-harassed/

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    She's really made a marc on them.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Isabel7 wrote: »
    I am fed up of men calling out when I walk down the street. I love what his woman did - she wore a video camera and recorded harassment by men.

Watch here: http://www.newstwitter.com/a-woman-wore-a-hidden-camera-to-show-how-many-times-in-a-day-she-gets-harassed/

Does this really happen nowadays in the uk?

I haven't seen it occur in many a year, not since the 90s at least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

:D...
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

Just realised you've created 15 threads with only 25 posts since 2011, its unlikely you will be back to discuss.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to stop watching that vid as firstly it is in America and also the women annoyed me.

We do not live in that world like a few decades back now.
    Work men represent their companies and get done for shouting out stuff like that nowadays.
    Not saying that it does not happen at times though with that sentence.

I get remarks and beeped at times still (yes even at this age) and to be honest I just find it amusing and if I feel like it I will reply, but not in a nasty rude way but in more of a witty come back one liner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes i am back to discuss - I still get harassed walking on the streets in the UK. Fortunately I don't get the tube in London very often, but friends tell me of instances of harassment and assault on the tube. It still goes on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes i am back to discuss - I still get harassed walking on the streets in the UK.

What do class as harassment?
    Men shouting lewd remarks at you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes lewd remarks count as harassment
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha nice.... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes lewd remarks count as harassment

Not in my books it doesn't.

Where do you go to get these remarks shouted at you, what do they shout at you?

I have had men shout stuff at me since being a teenager, then I felt uncomfortable with it due to my young age and would cross the road rather than walk near a group of men working etc.
    I am older now and can handle anything without it bothering me.
    A lewd remark is not a harassing thing for me to hear at all, but then I am older and wiser now.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Where do you go to get these remarks shouted at you, what do they shout at you?

I have had men shout stuff at me since being a teenager, then I felt uncomfortable with it due to my young age and would cross the road rather than walk near a group of men working etc.
    I am older now and can handle anything without it bothering me.
    A lewd remark is not a harassing thing for me to hear at all, but then I am older and wiser now.

so it still happens then you have just become older and immune to it - doesn't make it ok
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP's style of posting is very familiar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are lewd remarks harassment ?

see here: http://www.netplaces.com/human-resource-management/developing-company-policies/sexual-harassment-awareness.htm

Defining Sexual Harassment

Some forms of sexual harassment are obvious, such as one person making lewd comments to another
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so it still happens then you have just become older and immune to it - doesn't make it ok

Yes, but not immune as I am not deaf yet.
    I can handle a lewd remark without getting on my high horse and calling it harassment by men.
    Maybe you will one day too.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of the video - that women (or, indeed, anybody) shouldn't be harassed in the street - I get a bit fed up with all these pseudo-psychological assertions like "cat calling is about possession" and "cat calling is like a gateway drug to other forms of violence" (have we even established that cat calling, wrong as it may be, is violence?). Let's just agree that making someone feel uncomfortable is wrong. We don't need to start behaving like we must avert our eyes and only speak when we're spoken to in the presence of a woman.
  • Options
    Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    How about we stop harassment of anyone, anywhere. These kinds of videos damage feminism.

It's unlikely that anyone here is especially pro assaulting women anyway.

If the point of this is to make people think that looking at someone dressed provocatively is rape or even harassment, then it's possibly a waste of time and effort.
    I actually rolled my eyes at that part when the evil man turned his head slightly and it slowed down and he got devil music, maybe I'm just an evil man.

Frankly if you have the right to dress in an attention seeking way, then people have the right to look at you. Not touch you, or make nasty comments though, and that goes for anyone.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lovely for you but many women do feel uncomfortable and unsafe when they're walking down the street and get unwanted sexual comments. Truth is men don't need to do it (many men manage to go through their whole lives without ever feeling the need to shout out sexual comments in the street!) and they wouldn't lose anything by stopping. They would however stop making women feel uncomfortable so why don't they just not do it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »

Shh! she doesn't want to talk about that ;-)

For what it's worth shouting anything at any stranger male or female in the streets is just immature. I would certainly never do it. That's all I have to say on the matter.
  • Options
    George_McPhailGeorge_McPhail Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Stop hen parties harrassing men for kisses in the street by waving a big tacky pink bucket in our faces. SEXUAL ASSAULT ON THE STREETS
  • Options
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Lovely for you but many women do feel uncomfortable and unsafe when they're walking down the street and get unwanted sexual comments. Truth is men don't need to do it (many men manage to go through their whole lives without ever feeling the need to shout out sexual comments in the street!) and they wouldn't lose anything by stopping. They would however stop making women feel uncomfortable so why don't they just not do it?

Thanks for the support -
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Men never shout at me in the street. I don't know whether to be relieved or offended.......
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    They would however stop making women feel uncomfortable so why don't they just not do it?
    Because they think its how groups of men act. I cant recall seeing a bloke by themselves making nasty comments.

My experience (as an observer) is that the situation is much better than it was in the 70s/80s in terms of the CONSTANT comments girls/women would get, the type of comments is much more worse and a simple "go away" does not work.,

Call me racist but in terms of those harassing women, (IMO) there is a definite skew towards those who appear to have a none British heritage.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The likes of wolf whistling has gone on from before I was born & will no doubt go on way beyond my lifetime. If women don't want to be wolf whistled at, then perhaps they should dress up in Burqa's so that there is nothing to wolf whistle at. Basically if they go out looking attractive & sexy, then they will be treated like they are.