Memory DDR2 vs DDR3

pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My current MOBO specifies DDR2 memory. I hope soon to move onto a new MOBO which takes DDR3 but would like to get some extra memory for current board, just for the short term.
Is DDR3 backward compatible, eg will it work in my current board and will my existing DDR2 work in the new board.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    no it wont.

DDR2 is very expensive. it'll be cheaper to get a new board that takes DDR3. especially if you sell the ddr2.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    My current MOBO specifies DDR2 memory. I hope soon to move onto a new MOBO which takes DDR3 but would like to get some extra memory for current board, just for the short term.
    Is DDR3 backward compatible, eg will it work in my current board and will my existing DDR2 work in the new board.

different number of pins:(so ddr2 won't fit into ddr3 sockets i'm afraid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    no it wont.

DDR2 is very expensive. it'll be cheaper to get a new board that takes DDR3. especially if you sell the ddr2.

As was said, DDR2 and DDR3 use a totally different socket so cannot be interchanged between mobos.

That said, DDR2 is not expensive if you buy a second-hand module or two to tide you over. New DDR2 modules will be quite expensive as they are essentially obsolete for all new computers, but the second-hand market has more DDR2 modules than anyone could need (because of the number of people wanting to sell them). Depending on how long you are keeping your curent mobo for, and provided you know exactly what additional (or replacement) memory modules can be used, it will cost next to nothing to upgrade the RAM.

Note that more than 3GB of RAM won't make any useful difference with a 32-bit operating-system; to make full use of 4GB RAM or more, you must have a 64-bit OS. Installng three 1GB modules is not usually optimal though, and the negligible additional cost of fitting a fourth module would make 4GB advisable in that situation.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REDBUS wrote: »
    different number of pins:(so ddr2 won't fit into ddr3 sockets i'm afraid.

Really? I was under the impression that both DDR2 and DDR3 DIMMs have 240 pins.

They are however electrically incompatible so have a different notch so you can't use the wrong DIMM by mistake.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Really? I was under the impression that both DDR2 and DDR3 DIMMs have 240 pins.

They are however electrically incompatible so have a different notch so you can't use the wrong DIMM by mistake.

yeah was't sure ,my mistake :o just knew they would not fit each others sockets