South Park - Season 17 [UK/US] (Less episodes from now on)

dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't know the reasons behind this, but those looking forward to South Park returning in April will be sorely disappointed!

South Park Returns With 10 All-New Episodes In September!

South Park returns this Fall with 10 all-new episodes! Season 17 kicks off Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 on Comedy Central at 10p/9c.

For more on the new season, check out this exclusive New York Times article and interview with Trey and Matt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/business/media/south-park-creators-fortify-their-content-empire.html?_r=0

Let the countdown begin!

A perplexing decision, given that they've followed the same routine of a 14 episode season for a few years now, split into two. I'm intrigued to see if the quality improves as a result.

EDIT: Doh! Just read the NY Times article. It would seem that this is a permanent change...

Given the loyal and frantic fan base for “South Park,” the creators’ decision to cut back on the number of annual episodes would seem risky, except they have been right about a lot of things and have the artistic and financial independence to show for it.

“We want to keep ‘South Park’ going for a long time to come, and given what is going on in television, I don’t think it matters as much how many episodes you have,” Mr. Stone said.

Comments

• Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the delay has something to do with Matt & Trey doing promotion for 'The Book of Mormon' in the UK. At least it means we get the whole season without a break.

:)
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Blossom85 wrote: »
    I think the delay has something to do with Matt & Trey doing promotion for 'The Book of Mormon' in the UK. At least it means we get the whole season without a break.

:)

My first thought also. I'm amazed they've kept up the 14 ep split series routine for so long, especially when many of the episodes are written almost in "real time" to rip on current events, new films (often ones not released yet in UK) etc.
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    September though? Thats a heck of a wait, I'm fine with there being less episodes though, I value Quality over Quantity.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    As said, book of mormon is on stage and they are supposed to be writing a script for the film version - sounds like they demanded the time off.

There is pretty good documentary showing how they write and animate a whole episode in a little less than a week. When they are doing south park it does not sound like they have time for anything else and they are unwilling to give up control of the show as many others do in similar situations.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2076781/
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting move - hope it pays off. As has been said, I think the schedule in the past allowed them to be really current with some of their episodes, so I hope this doesn't mean that will suffer too much.

long time to wait, but i suppose i'll be happy with a full, unbroken season as well.
  • .exe.exe Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if the series aired on Wednesday in US when does it air in the UK?
  • rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It starts in the UK this coming Wednesday