Shane Filan first album as solo artist, your thoughts?

Comments

• zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, he is at no. 2 today!
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    Wow, he is at no. 2 today!

it was number 1 yesterday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do figures in amazon reflect the future actual position of it in the real top 100 chart? can we presume that it can go high in number in the chart through these figures in amazon?

it is even higher than one direction's best song ever
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coun3spice wrote: »
    do figures in amazon reflect the future actual position of it in the real top 100 chart? can we presume that it can go high in number in the chart through these figures in amazon?

it is even higher than one direction's best song ever

Of course it effects the actual position, but I don't want to presume anything yet;) This is definitely a great start and we already know 3000 copies were sold through his website in just a few days. People are definitely interested and so far I haven't seen a bad comment about Everything To Me so who knows - maybe he will get a high chart position.

I'm curious to see where will single chart on Play site - it is not put up there yet.I think it should definitely be offered on Play AND iTunes - I have only seen the buying option on Amazon and his website so far...

Here is a tv interview, he talks about the album a little bit more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSm8Jizi9Y

I'm very interested in hearing Once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it effects the actual position, but I don't want to presume anything yet;) This is definitely a great start and we already know 3000 copies were sold through his website in just a few days. People are definitely interested and so far I haven't seen a bad comment about Everything To Me so who knows - maybe he will get a high chart position.

I'm curious to see where will single chart on Play site - it is not put up there yet.I think it should definitely be offered on Play AND iTunes - I have only seen the buying option on Amazon and his website so far...

Here is a tv interview, he talks about the album a little bit more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSm8Jizi9Y

I'm very interested in hearing Once.

wow, that's good news! i hope it will get number 1! the song is just cool and trendy!

excited much on its entry on aug 25, so one direction song will be one week earlier in its release!
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amazon singles chart that Shanes single was at #1 on is a physical singles chart, the amount of people who buy physical singles now is very low and are usually just reserved for fans. Some labels have even stopped doing them (Mercury has and I'm pretty sure most of Universal now have) because they don't bring in many sales. All these physical copies doing well on pre-order is great and shows he has a core fanbase still there and will be a nice bonus to his digital sales, but they shouldn't be making up the bulk of his sales as if they are he probably won't shift a lot of singles/eps. I'm not being negative, I just don't think we should get too excited about physical singles, however, it's great to see that they are doing well as if they weren't we should worry. Things seem to be going well so far though, hopefully on the radio tour over the next few weeks he picks up non westlife fans as well, he always comes across really well in interviews and we know he's a great live performer so fingers crossed things work out for him, his label seem to be doing things well so far. The only thing I will say is I was hoping there'd be more major stations on his radio tour, R1 were never going to play this, but I was hoping a R2 stop might have been a strong possibility. Radio support is just so crucial for a singles success!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »
    The amazon singles chart that Shanes single was at #1 on is a physical singles chart, the amount of people who buy physical singles now is very low and are usually just reserved for fans. Some labels have even stopped doing them (Mercury has and I'm pretty sure most of Universal now have) because they don't bring in many sales. All these physical copies doing well on pre-order is great and shows he has a core fanbase still there and will be a nice bonus to his digital sales, but they shouldn't be making up the bulk of his sales as if they are he probably won't shift a lot of singles/eps. I'm not being negative, I just don't think we should get too excited about physical singles, however, it's great to see that they are doing well as if they weren't we should worry. Things seem to be going well so far though, hopefully on the radio tour over the next few weeks he picks up non westlife fans as well, he always comes across really well in interviews and we know he's a great live performer so fingers crossed things work out for him, his label seem to be doing things well so far. The only thing I will say is I was hoping there'd be more major stations on his radio tour, R1 were never going to play this, but I was hoping a R2 stop might have been a strong possibility. Radio support is just so crucial for a singles success!

thank you for this honest opinion, it kinda open-up my mind to other possibilities and other side of the story.. anyways

being a non-uk citizen, i am confuse on the R1 radio station i always hear it in other uk forums, because in my country radio station playing someopne else song is not that big deal, while in UK i think radio station is such a big help to promote a single...

and who, what is R1 and what is its influence, i once hear that r1 was never that supportive to westlife before.. why? and why shane could not make his tour in R1 or why R1 whould not play his single?

thanks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank you for this honest opinion, it kinda open-up my mind to other possibilities and other side of the story.. anyways

being a non-uk citizen, i am confuse on the R1 radio station i always hear it in other uk forums, because in my country radio station playing someopne else song is not that big deal, while in UK i think radio station is such a big help to promote a single...

and who, what is R1 and what is its influence, i once hear that r1 was never that supportive to westlife before.. why? and why shane could not make his tour in R1 or why R1 whould not play his single?

thanks!

Hi, i understand I love some k-pop groups but don't really understand their promo and things like that. :)

R1 = BBC Radio One
    R2 = BBC Radio Two
    Capital

They're the three main radio stations in our country as they broadcast nationwide. Radio 2 would be the most supportive to Shane potentially (as were by far the most supportive to Westlife), they have the most varied playlist and play a lot of songs from the past decades, hence why it gets tainted with the 'older persons' brush. It is however the most listened too station in the UK (the last time I saw the break down anyway) but because it plays much more songs than the other two getting playlisted isn't as significant and won't have as much impact on the singles chart. It's worth stating that it probably has the biggest impact on the album chart out of the three though.

BBC Radio One still plays a big variety of songs but they're all very current and they're always try to appeal 'cool' and 'young' and often write artists off as "Radio 2 Acts" Westlife were one of these acts. The likelihood of Shane being playlisted on there is very, very slim, I'm not sure if Westlife ever were even in the early days. If he was too though, it would be a huge impact on the singles success.

Capital basically plays about 10 songs on repeat. That might be a little over exaggerating, but honestly their playlist is so small, so if you do get playlisted your song will be hammered and because of that they seem to have the biggest impact on the singles chart. Capital are probably going to be hit and miss, they weren't big supporters of Westlife on their station, but the guys did do the Capital Summer Time Ball (or the winter one can't quite remember) so they may support him. Shane's song is more radio friendly than Westlifes latest efforts so you never know, if they were to get on board he'd be laughing, but it will be a big struggle.

Because we have very few music shows radio airplay seems to just be getting more influential, and because Westlife were never big on the airplay front I do worry a little. It should get easier for Shane in winter when there is more tv shows for him to appear on and he no longer has to rely on mainly radio. However, his label/management have got him doing this radio tour over the next few weeks so they're trying to give him the best chance possible which is great. and with his debut being an EP really not just a single, they're getting around the fact he probably won't be a "singles artist" quite nicely. I sound really negative in here, I don't mean to be, I honestly think they're doing a great so far and am really happy with how their label are handling this so far. I'm just a worrier and want to see him do as well as possible. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sound really negative in here, I don't mean to be, I honestly think they're doing a great so far and am really happy with how their label are handling this so far. I'm just a worrier and want to see him do as well as possible. :)

I completely understand your concern, don't worry;)

I think Radio 1 wasn't supportive of Westlife even during early days. It makes me so angry that they are now so supportive of One Direction, while they were so strongly against Westlife - they are such hypocrites. Shane's song is very radio-friendly and it should be played, but Radio 1 are so biased that I don't expect anything.

I completely agree with you that digital sales are very important - that is why I find it strange that his single isn't put up on iTunes yet or even as an MP3 on Amazon. I really hope they will do that, but good thing that digital formats were at least put up on his website for now...

I'm confused about the 1D single.., didn't DS say it will be released on Monday? Maybe 19th of August is just a physical release?

Also, I think Lady Gaga is releasing a single during that time so I think she will definitely be no.1. Honestly, I would also be happy if Shane gets Top 10 hit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re:OD is it not just the release of their vid on mon?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re:OD is it not just the release of their vid on mon?

I think my presumption is right because according to Haven:

22th July:

One Direction – Best Song Ever

August 19th

One Direction – Best Song Ever (CDS)

I find this ridiculous - just so Syco could milk more money out of die hard fans.

However, I doubt they will have a huge impact on the chart a month after the digital release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i see..

but looking at the amazon figures, at least we can say that he will not flop!

hoping for the best!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i see..

but looking at the amazon figures, at least we can say that he will not flop!

hoping for the best!

I agree, at the very least, we already know he sold more than Brian with his last album:D I'm kidding, I love Brian that that cover album flopped hard.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clip of Everytime.

I like that a lot. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it a lot - I love how he moved away from Westlife sound, the song is very catchy and again, sounds radio-friendly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whoaaa

i love it too!!!! i think more than everthing to me :) i hope there is more in his album!!!

if everthing to me is kinda like jason mraz song

everytime sounds more of a bruno mars! just the way i like it,

great!

his songs have the ability to be liked even by non-westlife fans
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    his songs have the ability to be liked even by non-westlife fans

I agree. I think the main reason he decided to release Everything To Me is because it is perfect for summertime - catchy, carefree, positive lyrics, fun music video... I don't think he believes that is the best song of the album - I actually heard him saying a song called All You Need To Know is the best song to him.

I think he didn't make a wrong move to choose that one as his debut single, even though Everytime sounds even better and that is just judging from 1 minute clip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, finally! The single can be also pre-ordered on iTunes:

http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/affiliates/download/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, finally! The single can be also pre-ordered on iTunes:

http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/affiliates/download/

wow!! at last!! i hope it goes well..

so if we have amazon singles charts which represents physical single figures, in terms of digital we have itunes! let's see if it's going to be well too...

exciting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow!! at last!! i hope it goes well..

so if we have amazon singles charts which represents physical single figures, in terms of digital we have itunes! let's see if it's going to be well too...

exciting

As far as I know, there is no Pre-order chart on iTunes right? We have to wait until the single is released to see how well it is selling there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pre-orders do show up on itunes alongside the normal releases so you can check how it's doing. I can't check on my phone but yesterday he wasn't in te top 1500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pre-orders usually appear in the album chart as you pre-order the EP rather than the single track. Sometimes if only the one track is available it will show up on the singles chart though. Shane however is in the album chart.

#121 in Ireland (highest pre-order)
    #283 in the UK

Considering he wasn't top 1,500 yesterday that's really good. Worth keeping an eye on that to see the effect the radio tour is having on it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I have to have an iTunes app in order to see the chart? Sorry, I never used iTunes so I'm not familiar with anything.

Can you give me the link so I can see how is Shane doing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to start a new thread for such a trivial thing like this.. since we are all Westlife fans, look at this.

Kian with a beard! I thought I'd never see that:D

http://instagram.com/p/cE-k8UiYM5/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where can i find the charts in itunes pls post the link