Options

How might this issue play out? (Train fine)

dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, let me outline the situation to begin with:

* Letter received at my family home, where I've not resided since 2005

* Addressed to my name, although house number was slightly wrong (an odd instead of an even, like the actual address). Royal Mail must have deduced from my sister's surname where to send the letter.

* The letter is from a 'Marston - High Court Enforcement Officers & Certificated Bailiffs', demanding payment of £265.20 for 'occupying a reserved seat without a valid ticket - rail 10/10/2012' and claiming they are in possession of a Magistrates Court Order.

* I did not incur this ticket, the only day I have travelled on a train in the last five years at least is the occasional Sunday when we go to a certain pub before family lunch. I was on no train on the day in question.

* Obviously somebody has attempted to use my identity to get out of a train fine, getting the address slightly wrong in the process.

* Upon contacting this Marston agency yesterday, they were incredibly unhelpful and wouldn't give me any details whatsoever of the alleged offence, even the court that issued it. All I have on the letter is a HM Courts & Tribunals Service Ref number. They were incredibly rude and condescending and told me I'd have to go to the CAB. They were going to put the account on hold for seven days while confirming something or other about my non-presence at the address.

* I went to the CAB yesterday who said I should speak to a place called 'The Law Centre', a drop-in legal advice clinic which I'll be attending tonight. However, after speaking to them on the phone briefly already, they're not even sure they'll be able to help. If it's litigation, then yes- but if they deem it to come under crime/fraud, then they can't- and then I'll be back at square one!

Whatever the case, I'm not paying any kind of fine I've not incurred, but I do want this situation remedied as I don't like this Court Order being issued against me. I also don't want the poor people at this incorrect address to be bothered by bailiffs next week! Does anyone know how this situation may be likely to play out?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    If it's the wrong address on the correspondence, and you haven't lived at the similar address for 8 years, I'd bin it.

It's obviously someone trying it on. Can't see how it would affect you at all.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was another thread with a similar situation on here not so long ago, might be worth hunting it down for some info...

ETA: here you go: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1827890
    Might help...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The friendly folk over here http://www.railforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=152 would be able to give some good advice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much for your replies, especially mred2000 and Dissonance.

Joey, my first inclination would not be to ignore the situation! I get where you're coming from, but I'm not having court issued debts left standing against my name!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been making phone calls since starting this thread and spoke to Marston again, who 24 hours later decided they would tell me the court that issued the fine (Tower Bridge Magistrates). After some calling around, I've now got an appointment booked at my local Magistrates Court on Thursday, to make what's called a 'statutory declaration'. Beyond that, I don't know what will happen but I seem to be on the right track at least.
  • Options
    DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once you have made a statutory declaration that you were not person mentioned in the letter then the onus is on them to categorically prove that it was you, either by visual evidence (CCTV?), witness statement identifying you, or other secure means.

They will probably give up anyway once they have the declaration for their files but if you can remember where you were on the day in question, that would help also.

Good luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your replies, especially mred2000 and Dissonance.

Joey, my first inclination would not be to ignore the situation! I get where you're coming from, but I'm not having court issued debts left standing against my name!

yeah I'd understand that if the letter went to the actual address you used to live at, but unless the person on the train gave proper checkable details like your NI number or similar, I don't see how they could put anything down to you with just a name and an incorrect address.
  • Options
    Jason JAG LawJason JAG Law Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been making phone calls since starting this thread and spoke to Marston again, who 24 hours later decided they would tell me the court that issued the fine (Tower Bridge Magistrates). After some calling around, I've now got an appointment booked at my local Magistrates Court on Thursday, to make what's called a 'statutory declaration'. Beyond that, I don't know what will happen but I seem to be on the right track at least.

Hopefully with a valid ticket this time. ;)
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully with a valid ticket this time. ;)
    Have you been away on a comedy course?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Have you been away on a comedy course?

Does it look like it?
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it look like it?
    I think we'd need to see the precise wording of what was claimed would be achieved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    I think we'd need to see the precise wording of what was claimed would be achieved.

A one way ticket to stardom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any update, OP?
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP... have you checked bank/credit card statements, receipts, phone records etc (to help to locate where you were that day)?

If you have, say, a credit card receipt for a shop some distance away from the train in question I would be tempted, as well as the Stat dec, to send a letter with a copy of said receipt to the company along the lines of "here is my proof I wasnt on the train in question"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Any update, OP?

Thanks for your concern! :)

Yes, I attended the Magistrates Court this morning and applied for the Statutory Declaration, which was accepted. This part was all quite simple and straightforward, to be honest. All I had to do was swear under oath that the court proceedings had taken place without my knowledge.

The hearing for the ticket has now been rescheduled for the 21st of August and this will be the part where I have to try to demonstrate that I wasn't the person who was issued that penalty fare. I have contacted a solicitors, who have not come back to me today. I'll try another one in the morning and get some advice as to how to handle the matter...
    OP... have you checked bank/credit card statements, receipts, phone records etc (to help to locate where you were that day)?

If you have, say, a credit card receipt for a shop some distance away from the train in question I would be tempted, as well as the Stat dec, to send a letter with a copy of said receipt to the company along the lines of "here is my proof I wasnt on the train in question"

I have been attempting to do this today, I checked with my local swimming pool as to whether I attended that day- sadly, I didn't. My BT landline is so infrequently used that I was unsurprised to find nothing there. Checking bank statements hadn't actually occurred to me, so I'll take a look in a moment. However, I'm not sure whether any of this alone will be enough to convince them. They are used to people telling all sorts of lies to dodge fines, after all.

I should mention though that it appears that the person gave a different DOB to mine. The date given is nearly four months prior to mine. Hopefully the small details like that will help.

EDIT: The only financial activity that day was a cashpoint withdrawal at 18:43. That will only help if the offence was within about half an hour either side of that time (given the distance between where the ticket was issued and the cashpoint in question.)
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your concern! :)

The hearing for the ticket has now been rescheduled for the 21st of August and this will be the part where I have to try to demonstrate that I wasn't the person who was issued that penalty fare.

Don't see why you should have to prove anything. Its their case they should have to prove it was you (which it seems they cannot)

Anyway in attempt to be helpful. Do you have a mobile phone. If you used it that day then your phone operator should be able to give you the times and locations at which it was used (this is what allowed the Hamiltons to fight the bogus rape case brought against them)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's disgraceful you are having to waste time and money to sort this out! Hope it's all resolved for you soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm probably wrong (JAG/Keefy probably know) but isn't it down to the court to prove it WAS you rather than you proving it WASN'T?
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably wrong (JAG/Keefy probably know) but isn't it down to the court to prove it WAS you rather than you proving it WASN'T?

It doesn't sound right to me. They should be proving that it's him. It sounds to me like anyone can get away with giving a false name, because the train companies will just go after that innocent person and charge them regardless of the fact that they've done nothing wrong. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't see why you should have to prove anything. Its their case they should have to prove it was you (which it seems they cannot)

Anyway in attempt to be helpful. Do you have a mobile phone. If you used it that day then your phone operator should be able to give you the times and locations at which it was used (this is what allowed the Hamiltons to fight the bogus rape case brought against them)

I do, and when I checked today there were only bills available as far back as 2012 (bloody paperless billing, it's not helpful when you need certain information!)

I will try speaking to them, but quite frankly I have very little tolerance for T-Mobile's incompetent customer service staff.
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    I think it's disgraceful you are having to waste time and money to sort this out! Hope it's all resolved for you soon.

Yeah, I've been a bit peeved about it too! The worst part is the unnecessary travelling I've had to do, as walking is incredibly painful for me due to health problems. The physical pain I've been through when getting to places this week has been the worst part of it all!

I'm hopeful that the entire case ends up being thrown out due to this potential technicality. Part of me really wants to know who did it though, so I'd love to see if they do have any kind of CCTV showing the person in question...
    It doesn't sound right to me. They should be proving that it's him. It sounds to me like anyone can get away with giving a false name, because the train companies will just go after that innocent person and charge them regardless of the fact that they've done nothing wrong. :mad:

As just about everyone has said to me this week: "Why do they not take photographs of people when they ticket them?"
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I've been a bit peeved about it too! The worst part is the unnecessary travelling I've had to do, as walking is incredibly painful for me due to health problems. The physical pain I've been through when getting to places this week has been the worst part of it all!

Why not issue a claim in the small claims court against the Company once this is all sorted for all the work you have had to do on the case
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you remember what you did that day?

They've got your dob wrong and you weren't even living at your parents address at the time, and even then you've said they got the number wrong on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not issue a claim in the small claims court against the Company once this is all sorted for all the work you have had to do on the case

I'm not that vindictive! I do appreciate that it's not actually their fault, it's the expletive that used my details in the first place. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do, and when I checked today there were only bills available as far back as 2012 (bloody paperless billing, it's not helpful when you need certain information!)

I will try speaking to them, but quite frankly I have very little tolerance for T-Mobile's incompetent customer service staff

Again, I'm happy to be corrected, but I think only the police/authorities can request location data from mobile phone companies...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you remember what you did that day?

They've got your dob wrong and you weren't even living at your parents address at the time, and even then you've said they got the number wrong on that.

Nope, thus far I've found nothing that indicates what I was doing that day. I'm not working due to aforementioned health issues and when your mobility is limited, you tend to spend a lot of time indoors and the days become something of a blur! Thankfully these issues should be sorted by the end of the year so I can rejoin the world of the working (and have an alibi in similar circumstances!)