Options

Saudi Employer beats His Asian Employee

Comments

• Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Didn't they spit on him at one point in that video?

Nice people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched only one clip of a chuckling moron running about with a birch of some kind whacking some poor guy who was crying.
    The bad sectors of humanity, of whatever race need to be rounded up and handed over to that dude from pulp fiction with the gimp in the celler.
    either that or passed over to Josef Mengele,Eduard Wirths and Aribert Heim to have fun with.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Er, okay. I guess people ought to just agree and say how horrible and terrible it is then without knowing what the OP is actually going on about?

So having reviewed the footage, what is your judgement of what happened?

You see, this is something that makes me real uneasy about the internet, that there are examples of brutality that people can't help but want to see out of curiosity, or a form of perverted entertainment, it's so easy, just a click etc, there's something wrong wit hthat. And of course for every person who is filmed suffering, there are probably hundreds of voyeurs who will derive pleasure from watching it, what a sad and disrespectful state of affairs!
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Thanks Evangeline, I've just noticed that. My reply to ffawkes can stand though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »

You see, this is something that makes me real uneasy about the internet, that there are examples of brutality that people can't help but want to see out of curiosity, or a form of perverted entertainment, it's so easy, just a click etc, there's something wrong wit hthat. And of course for every person who is filmed suffering, there are probably hundreds of voyeurs who will derive pleasure from watching it, what a sad and disrespectful state of affairs!

Wait a minute, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Why am I apparently in the dock here for merely expecting to be told or pointed towards whatever it was that the OP was horrified enough to start a thread over?

Do you or do you not agree that before we get onto the merits or detriments of violence on the internet, we ought to at least have known which incident was up for comment?
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not think anyone could talk pleasure in that. I saw the article in a online newspaper, I did not think it would be as bad as what we witnessed. I know there are abuses of power , the victim sounded like he was a Muslim he called out "Allah".. , The House of Saud are good friends with the UK.. is someone going to ask what happened to the man? Will the Sadist be brought to justice? What do Pakistanis feel, think about the treatment of their countrymen in countries such as this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKE6w8-I-k&lc=5VdZv7LPhbb805e-L7jQfmq9t-x_njGLrPcpkRH___c
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

I don't think anyone on this thread is a voyeur. Nobody has mentioned deriving pleasure from watching a video like this. I think you're getting ahead of yourself a bit.
  • Options
    StylesStyles Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is their culture, its xenophobic and racist to condem it. Its stuff like this that helps enrich multiculture UK when they come over here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styles wrote: »
    It is their culture, its xenophobic and racist to condem it. Its stuff like this that helps enrich multiculture UK when they come over here.
    Oh here we go, if we did this here there would be hell to pay, if we treated our foreign workers like this who come here to better their lives... it does not matter where it happened , it is horrific,
    not racist, they are treating guest workers like animals. The victim appears to be a fellow Muslim, I know the sadist will be a Muslim. It is mans inhumanity to man.. whoever sons' they are. I am not focusing on the race, culture it is the actions.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I'm all for threads having an organic lifespan rather than doggedly remaining on-topic but it's pretty freaky the way people rock up to threads like this and try and subvert them on the most flimsy basis.

After watching that video, I can only hope that guy tries something similar with a Geordie builder or a Yank oil-worker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not focusing on the race, culture it is the actions.

It does have a lot to do with deeply ingrained race, religious and cultural attitudes in Saudi towards migrant workers and / or non-Sunni Muslims though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I don't think anyone on this thread is a voyeur. Nobody has mentioned deriving pleasure from watching a video like this. I think you're getting ahead of yourself a bit.

You think what you like, the internet appeals to voyeurs, of that there is no doubt. Nobody has mentioned deriving pleasure from it so what have you deduced from that? The fact is that if someone knows that htey are going to be watching someone beaten up or worse, there is one reason they are going to go in and watch it, which is to see someone being beaten up. THat is voyeurism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You think what you like, the internet appeals to voyeurs, of that there is no doubt. Nobody has mentioned deriving pleasure from it so what have you deduced from that? The fact is that if someone knows that htey are going to be watching someone beaten up or worse, there is one reason they are going to go in and watch it, which is to see someone being beaten up. THat is voyeurism.

:D You did.
    ...there are probably hundreds of voyeurs who will derive pleasure from watching it

Don't you think we should have known what it is we were expecting to pass comment on? I know I have asked this, and am not optimistic of getting an answer.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he know this would happen if he spoke to his wife? Seems like something he should have known
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [Dons flame-proof suit ready for the backlash]

This is nothing worse than the beatings I received as a child. That doesn't make it right and I don't condone this... I'm just saying ......... Unless anyone knows different then he got his licks for breaking a rule that we would consider petty, but in Saudi its a major deal. They're pretty strict on this kind of thing.

Us Westerners are incredibly tolerant. We really are seen as a soft touch. Go elsewhere in the world and you'll find that attitudes are much harder. You don't have to look too far either. Go to Poland. If you know people there well enough you'll find out very quickly what the old school attitude is to foreigners and in particular to those who aren't Caucasian.

I also have personal experience of how folk from the Indian subcontinent treat their fellow countrymen. Getting the big stick out is, I'm reliably informed, part of the culture in certain levels of society. We wouldn't countenance this as appropriate in the West. But why should we expect other countries live by our standards? They don't live by ours.

I'd be far angrier if the video was of the guy beating an animal. That really is unjustified. Sorry to say it, but that's the way of the world.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styles wrote: »
    Oh here we go, if we did this here there would be hell to pay, if we treated our foreign workers like this who come here to better their lives... it does not matter where it happened , it is horrific,
    not racist, they are treating guest workers like animals. The victim appears to be a fellow Muslim, I know the sadist will be a Muslim. It is mans inhumanity to man.. whoever sons' they are. I am not focusing on the race, culture it is the actions.

wooosh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member

I disagree that it is voyeurism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does have a lot to do with deeply ingrained race, religious and cultural attitudes in Saudi towards migrant workers and / or non-Sunni Muslims though.
    I am not focusing on it because they are a certain race, it is the actions towards certain races, if it was Americans treating Canadians like this it I would still be sickened. It has been exposed, someone must have leaked the footage to the RSA human rights group. You cannot say it is just their culture.. surely there has to a worldwide outcry. These workers are from poorer parts of the world, they are defencless.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surely there has to a worldwide outcry. These workers are from poorer parts of the world, they are defencless.

Why has there "got to be" a world outcry? You're a bit naive if you expect everyone in the rest of the world to adopt Western standards in this respect.

If you're so concerned then you go do something about it. But don't be surprised if you're greeted by a wall of indifference and given platitudes to appease your personal sense of moral indignation.

If you really want to make a difference then there's plenty of opportunity to help people in the UK who are subject to far worse violence and often for little or no reason. In this area you'd be far more effective since you're swimming with the tide and have the backing of the legal system behind you. If you want to help then fix what you can, not what you can't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My prayer.

God you see all things, you care about the widows and orphans and to look after them is what religion is all about for you hate injustice We have all sinned and fallen short. You are a shield to they whose walk is blameless. This poor man, his fellow workers in SA.. please shield them, please bring justice and protection. The Employer, his wicked actions, may he be brought to justice and humbled. may fear come upon him, his conscience burned till he turns from these violent arrogant acts.

I know many will laugh, but I am upset, I do not know these people, they are strangers in a strange land. This is all I have left to say. I am planning to write to the Saudi Embassy, not that it may change anything, I am a dot on the landscape. I do feel in my defence that I have a big heart. I hope you never harden your hearts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I disagree that it is voyeurism.

So the diasgreement turns on how one defines voyeurism. How do you define it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So the diasgreement turns on how one defines voyeurism. How do you define it?

1. A person who derives sexual gratification from observing the naked bodies or sexual acts of others, especially from a secret vantage point.
    2. An obsessive observer of sordid or sensational subjects.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D You did.

Don't you think we should have known what it is we were expecting to pass comment on? I know I have asked this, and am not optimistic of getting an answer.

Not really. You know it is going to be someone being beaten up, what do you expect to gain from watching it other than satisfying some morbid curiousity? Do you want to know the extent to which he is beaten, is there blood, is he screaming and so on - if so why? If someone asks you to pass comment on a video of a rape, do you unquestioningly go and watch it because you 'have to' ?
  • Options
    the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    ..This is normal, the Arabs have been keeping slaves for a long time and infact they enslaved the Black man long before the Europeans did and almost twice as many..but ooh let's talk about evil whitey all the time.

Exactly. Whilst cases of slavery still exist in the UK and Europe, thankfully they are extremely rare.

In Saudi and the Gulf states foreign worker abuse and slavery is rampant. If you come from the subcontinent or the Phillipines you are viewed as and treated like shit.