Options

DVDs and music/song rights. Edited content.

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
I take it most modern shows are now made with DVD sales in mind and music is chosen with this in mind.

I was aware of the issue (it is raised in DVD commentaries), but I read that sometimes entire scenes are cut.

Anyone got any examples?

Comments

• Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there's probably a long list on the internet somewhere ;)

However, one example just off the top of my head is the theme tune for the US series "Charmed". They had to use a different one for the international DVD release as they couldn't secure the rights to the original one they used on first run.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Only fools and horses loses an entire scene set in a club in the Jolly Boys outing, The scene is several minutes long and is actually crucial to a lot of future storyline but has been chopped on the dvd

Also another OFAH club scene is cut for the same reason, Still jarring but not as crucial
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Some mothers do ave em got cut as well with frank in tar and a coloured guy with him as it was ok for him to not appear on screen at the same time but when it was it was cut as when it was shown on tv it was left in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    An episode of Frasier had to be edited when he plays piano and sings a song, which I think was Great Balls of Fire. I got the DVD on Region 1 when it was first released, but have read that further releases has the scene cut out.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beverly Hills 90210 had a lot of it's music replaced.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of an oldie, but the final episode of Filthy, Rich and Catflap had almost an entire scene removed of Richie singing "Consider Yourself". I think they also had to cut a scene where Eddie was singing part of an Ultravox song, even though Midge Ure himself appeared in the same episode.

An episode of The Young Ones had a song removed as well. The cuts aren't subtle either!
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if it is case of paying for the song rights would cause them not to make a profit, or that it reduce the profit.
    Something like

Having to pay £100,000 for rights to a song on a DVD that would only have generated £80,000. worth of sales. Obviously no one would do this.

or having to pay £30,000 for a song on a DVD that is likely to have £200,000 worth of sales, and the owners of the show think "bollocks to paying the £30,000 we will edit it out and keep the lot".
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the DVD distributor and studios who are greedy. Instead of paying upto $100,00 per a song, they'd replace it with original compositions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I wonder if it is case of paying for the song rights would cause them not to make a profit, or that it reduce the profit.
    Something like

Having to pay £100,000 for rights to a song on a DVD that would only have generated £80,000. worth of sales. Obviously no one would do this.

or having to pay £30,000 for a song on a DVD that is likely to have £200,000 worth of sales, and the owners of the show think "bollocks to paying the £30,000 we will edit it out and keep the lot".

Probably, They can't guess how much they will make from sales so don't risk it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bit of an oldie, but the final episode of Filthy, Rich and Catflap had almost an entire scene removed of Richie singing "Consider Yourself". I think they also had to cut a scene where Eddie was singing part of an Ultravox song, even though Midge Ure himself appeared in the same episode.

An episode of The Young Ones had a song removed as well. The cuts aren't subtle either!

They cut stuff in every episode. Kind of ruins the joke.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know I find Rik singing Consider Yourself so funny. At least you can still find it on Youtube now and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XWFpBTwOZY
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but we need a way to splice it into the episode.
  • Options
    A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read that the BBC Three show Being human has different music to the actual TV show on the DVD. That's a shame as the music was a very big part of the show if it's true.
  • Options
    CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    One of my all time favourite programmes, 'Third Watch', is unavailable on DVD (apart from the first two seasons) because of wrangling over music rights. :cry:
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it's a rights issue but in the UK the themes for the Law & Order series used Rob Dougan tracks instead of the originals.

House used Massive Attack's Teardrop in the States but not here.

One version of the Animal House DVD had different songs in it which was awful. Thankfully later versions have the original.

One the recorded Proms was edited with Tonight from West Side Story missed out because they hadn't secured the rights in time - stupid as the plan them around a year in advance.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    CMK29 wrote: »
    One of my all time favourite programmes, 'Third Watch', is unavailable on DVD (apart from the first two seasons) because of wrangling over music rights. :cry:

You do know it's available from other places.
    I'd go down that route, if you really want to watch it and keep it.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not sure about the DVD but several episodes of Top Gear on Dave used stock music instead of the tracks used on the BBC versions.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Not sure about the DVD but several episodes of Top Gear on Dave used stock music instead of the tracks used on the BBC versions.

Yes that bit where they play with all the lose bits on their BL Cars. It is supposed to be the start of Pink Floyd's Money. In the TV series they play Money in the DVD version it's stock music so the scene makes no sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alot of bbc shows have edits. Hidehi, keeping up appearances.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lesson here is if you really like a TV programme, record it from its original transmission on TV. I'm doing that with Peter Kay's Car Share, as that has so much music in it.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    It's not only DVD's that are affected, in the forthcoming release of the last season of Dr Who soundtrack, the song sung by Foxes "Don't stop me now" is not included apparently for copyright reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    It's not only DVD's that are affected, in the forthcoming release of the last season of Dr Who soundtrack, the song sung by Foxes "Don't stop me now" is not included apparently for copyright reasons.

This is why I wont be buying the soundtrack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    The lesson here is if you really like a TV programme, record it from its original transmission on TV. I'm doing that with Peter Kay's Car Share, as that has so much music in it.

That will be useless on DVD if they don't get music rights. All the dream sequences will be lost and a lot of the time they discuss the song or even sing along too it so it can't be just overdubbed

They would lost most of the scenes if they can't clear it
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dvd release of the 1984 christmas special of "Just Good Friends" has a whole 12 minute section muted and replaced with subtitles due to various song rights issues which are played one after the other during a house party scene. Luckily I have the uncut broadcast version. I would never watch the official release.
  • Options
    LadyFluffLadyFluff Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I know this happened with the Bad Girls DVDs - Yvonne Atkins memorial with her favourite tune is no longer a Springsteen track, and, more noticably, there's a scene (possible the final of the series, but it's been a while since I watched) where the actors are visibly dancing to YMCA but some generic party music is playing