Options

Jewish Mum of the Year - Channel 4 9pm

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geoff, when I was growing up in South Florida my family and their friends ignored Christmas. It just wasn't a holiday for them. I sang Christmas songs in school and we had a special holiday event. As church and state is strictly separated in the US the public schools can put up Christmas trees and encourage the pupils to sing songs that are traditional or seasonal but not religious. The school coudn't have a nativity play or a concert with carols. Most of the songs we sang were songs TV shows feature at the time of the year, like "Let it snow" or "Frosty the snowman". It was bizarre singing about snow in Miami when it was 80 degress outside. ;)

I'm curious to know how Jewish people regard Christmas here in the UK. My husband isn't Jewish and we observe the holiday by making a special dinner and putting up a tree and decorations. We also observe Hannukah.

Hannukah this year is December 8 to December 16 - perhaps you could suggest a holiday party or a party for the end of the year?
  • Options
    teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    does anyone recall hearing Tracy-Ann Oberman as Dame Shirley Porter in the BBC R4 play Nothing like a dame? She was amazing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Geoff, when I was growing up in South Florida my family and their friends ignored Christmas. It just wasn't a holiday for them. I sang Christmas songs in school and we had a special holiday event. As church and state is strictly separated in the US the public schools can put up Christmas trees and encourage the pupils to sing songs that are traditional or seasonal but not religious. The school coudn't have a nativity play or a concert with carols. Most of the songs we sang were songs TV shows feature at the time of the year, like "Let it snow" or "Frosty the snowman". It was bizarre singing about snow in Miami when it was 80 degress outside. ;)

I'm curious to know how Jewish people regard Christmas here in the UK. My husband isn't Jewish and we observe the holiday by making a special dinner and putting up a tree and decorations. We also observe Hannukah.

Hannukah this year is December 8 to December 16 - perhaps you could suggest a holiday party or a party for the end of the year?

I am usually around for the sucot and purim celebrations, so i think that I might just do that... suggest a Hannukah..party ?