Life of Pi released today - you watching it?

Comments

• princesarock12princesarock12 Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the book and I'm going to see it tomorrow - don't know whether to watch it in 3D or not? 3D films always seem a bit gimmicky to me so not sure I'd enjoy it as much, although I can imagine how much more visually stunning the 3D effects will make it.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the book and I'm going to see it tomorrow - don't know whether to watch it in 3D or not? 3D films always seem a bit gimmicky to me so not sure I'd enjoy it as much, although I can imagine how much more visually stunning the 3D effects will make it.

I have NEVER seen a 3d movie, I also think its gimmicky.

But I am going to make an exception with Pi
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really loved it, visually it's stunning, but the story itself is beautifully played out, even though i
    did guess quite early on that Pi and Richard Parker were one and the same, because of the nature of the tigers appearance.

Certainly up there with my favourite films of the year :) 9/10
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_Young wrote: »
    Yes the ending has been up to scrutiny, and would the film stand up without being in 3d

well, i thought the ending was just fine. And I didn't see it in 3D because 3D gives me a headache.
  • Michelle_ClarkeMichelle_Clarke Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it but if you get teary easily then it might not be for you, the ending in particular.
    when the tiger walks away without a backward glance i was genuinely gutted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lifeboat Tiger, Hidden Dragon. :D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    mrcynical wrote: »
    Lifeboat Tiger, Hidden Dragon. :D
    The Tigers Banquet....;)
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it tonight, it lived up to all my expectations from a fantastic book.

What an actor Suraj Sharma, especially the last scene when
    he is telling the alternative story
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Wouldn't rush to see it again as I think it's a one time watch film, but it held my attention from start to finish.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive read the book and dont know if it will transfer to the screen that well so hopefully will get to see it this week. loved the book btw
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    Ive read the book and dont know if it will transfer to the screen that well so hopefully will get to see it this week. loved the book btw

Rest assured, it transfers beautifully. The cinema usher was quite passionate about it, and how it is one of the few films that needs to be seen in 3D (and we know that many so-called 3D films are simply not up to scratch and full of needless gimmicks). This was stunning and the 3D effects added depth and enhanced the whole, visually beautiful film.

If you can - watch it in the cinema. As a dvd, it will be good but as a movie - well, that's a whole different experience.
  • tinshedtinshed Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    What a fantastic film, really loved the story in particular the alternate story he gave the investigators. Defo a film I will watch again on DVD.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rest assured, it transfers beautifully.

If you can - watch it in the cinema. As a dvd, it will be good but as a movie - well, that's a whole different experience.

thank you for that, I am quite looking forward to it
  • princesarock12princesarock12 Posts: 1,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I plumped for 2D and absolutely loved the movie. It's definitely up there as one of the best movies made from books, probably the best "transfer to screen" that I've ever seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I think this is the one to beat for Cinematography and SFX awards in the forth coming awards season.
  • Purple-KiwisPurple-Kiwis Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went into the film having no idea what it was about, I assumed it was a straight up fantasy drama. It kind of blew my mind in the end, seemed to bring out the optimist and the sceptic in me.
    I don't want to believe the second story :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the book and loved the film, it's rare someone makes a movie which captures the esseance of the original story, Life of Pi does this brilliantly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Watched it last night and thought it was amazing-you could tell it'd be stunning in 3D and I'm a bit gutted I settled for 2D.
  • ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best adaptation of a book I think I've ever seen. It was beautiful. Would have quite happily sat through 4 more hours of it. The effects were amazing and Suraj Sharma was brilliant.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good but felt ending was abrupt

7/10
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the thumbs down from my family after seeing it last week.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then maybe you should watch it a bit more closely if all you learnt is there is a tiger :confused:
    Perhaps you should have watched more closely, Helbore! :p;):D

Well I got that there was a boy, a boat and a lot of water, too. But that was about it.

The trailer I saw really didn't show any tiny detail of story - and yes, I was paying attention, thank you. I concentrated on the tiger because that was really all the trailer seemed to focus on. Other than that, all I really got was "this film will have some spectacular 3D scenes in it."

The trailer told me absolutely nothing about the story. The only thing it told me was this was somehow a film I should be really paying attention to. That's what made it worse. It really made the point that this was an "event film," so far from not watching closely - in fact, it convinced me to pay attention. But I still ended up none the wiser.

Sorry if I offended anyone enough that they needed to question my attention span when responding to my post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    good but felt ending was abrupt

7/10

People have complained that the ending feels tacked on, comes out of nowhere etc, but in the book, the last chapter contains the same ending as the film, but is told over only a few pages, so the ending of the film is in keeping with the ending of the book.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have complained that the ending feels tacked on, comes out of nowhere etc, but in the book, the last chapter contains the same ending as the film, but is told over only a few pages, so the ending of the film is in keeping with the ending of the book.

oh ok,thats fair enough

i guess i just wanted the tiger to look back too :D

so what happened for real? did he spend that time with the tiger really?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Well I got that there was a boy, a boat and a lot of water, too. But that was about it.

The trailer I saw really didn't show any tiny detail of story - and yes, I was paying attention, thank you. I concentrated on the tiger because that was really all the trailer seemed to focus on. Other than that, all I really got was "this film will have some spectacular 3D scenes in it."

The trailer told me absolutely nothing about the story. The only thing it told me was this was somehow a film I should be really paying attention to. That's what made it worse. It really made the point that this was an "event film," so far from not watching closely - in fact, it convinced me to pay attention. But I still ended up none the wiser.

Sorry if I offended anyone enough that they needed to question my attention span when responding to my post.

And I'm very sorry if I offended you with my post. You should know me well enough by now not to take my posts seriously! I was only teasing you, no criticism intended. :o