Options

Cure for HIV in the near future?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What worries me is the amount of young gay men having unprotected full intercourse these days! They are playing Russian roulette with their lives. Also, even more worrying, the trend for infected men have bareback sex with each other - this can cause new strains of the disease to evolve and become resistant to drug treatment.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    There's a little known cue out there already... it's a condom

Aids kills so don't be silly. Get that condom on your willy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prevention is better than cure always use condoms and never share needles if you do get aids after you are one unlucky person
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    monkino wrote: »
    Some of the posts about curing HIV by wearing a condom are pretty insensitive an ignorant. For those people already coping with the disease that is of no use at all is it.

The comments about not catching it from thin air, are crass and vile, and the poster should be ashamed of themselves.

Have a think about the children born to people with HIV who contract it from their parents. Think about people who have had blood transfusions and caught it. Think about people whose condoms split. Think about people who are raped. Think about people who catch it from non risky behaviour - yes it is possible to catch it via oral sex if there is a cut in your mouth. Think about the people who are unlucky.

The consider this. The condition is managed at the moment with medication. It is not cured. The treatment can be debilitating. The medication can damage the liver. Many people end up with severe depression, stomach complaints, liver problems, reactive arthritis, and live with knowledge that one day things may take a turn for the worse and you end up with a brain tumour, wasting, other tumours, pneumonia and so on. The medication can cause severe insomnia, considerable weight gain or weight loss, horrific nightmares, and migraines. Dealing with bigots and idiots who make stupid comments about YOU SHOULD HAVE USED A CONDOM or YOU DON'T CATCH FROM THIN AIR is only one more issue.

Finally think about this. Many people with HIV cannot tell their friends or their families and lack the support network other people with life threatening conditions have. There is no shame in cancer, but if you have HIV you have to live with the knowledge that if your colleagues or clients find out you may be ostracised. And for many it is difficult or impossible to find a partner because of their condition.

I hope having read the above, some of you may be a little bit more understanding.

Great post.:)

I have to say the level of ignorance displayed on here by some never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a couple of people have some research to do. You cannot catch AIDS. You my catch HIV which may turn into AIDS subject to CD4 counts and AIDS defining illnesses, but AIDS is not caught, either through needles, unprotected sex etc.