Ian Thorpe / Michael Parkinson "Coming Out ?" Interview

2»

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    Ian Thorpe says he's not straight. Well knock me down with a feather. But why Parky of all people?

It's one of those interviews where you get the feeling Thorpe rang Parkinson rather than the other way around. Basically a safe interviewer asking some safe questions. I guess Ian decided to come out and this was the vehicle he picked to do it.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Thorpe has long been one of my sporting heroes. I wish him all the best & hope that now he is open about his sexuality this can help him beat his demons. What you have to remember about Thorpie is how much he grew up in the spotlight - he was a World champion at 15 and Olympic Champion in Sydney aged 17. Swimming is a huge sport in Australia. People from all walks of life can struggle to come to terms with their sexuality they're not in the public spotlight and have people ask questions and make comments about it at the time.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can take people a lifetime to come out.

What the public think is easy because we're living in so-called 'enlightened' times often negates the fact many people can still be scared stiff of their own family reaction, colleague reaction, and the comeback on them. Religious and/or community reaction in places they may, live, work or train. Or just the fact they've never accepted themselves until then, let alone please the world.

There are those out there that, even now, make noises and make it obvious or don't care what the public work out, because they know they're planning to come out in time and laying a cornerstone for their future. And then there are those that will take many years because of the above reasons and more: physical ill health, relationship issues and mental health, plus all the other things that affect human beings, and it can be complicated terrain to navigate.
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fear of losing potential future sponsorship money might have motivated Ian Thorpe to stay in the closet, according to this article: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/swimming/deal-or-no-deal-why-thorpe-kept-quiet-20140713-3bv2m.html
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    He seems like a nice guy and I like him a lot as a commentator. I wish him well. I couldn't care less about a person's sexuality but hopefully he is happy in himself now.
  • kxkkxk Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    I don't think he has any idea how much the whole nation of Australia really does love him.
    And I doubt that other nations understand how much we love our swimmers.

We grow up with them, and they grow up with us - I think Ian Thorpe was about 12 the first time we saw him. We saw him as a gangly kid with a big grin, grow into a gangly teen, gangly young man - and then evolve into a powerful man, and a swimming legend.
    He looks so beautiful in the water, like a creature born in fluid not merely human.

Aussies watch any kind of swimming and often in prime time. We watch these kids in awe for years. We feel maternal towards them. I recall his Mum, a lot, cheering him on.

So - aresholes from the media began asking him about his sexuality when he was 15 or 16.

Can they be charged? Is it legal or appropriate to hound a kid about ANYTHING, and especially anything sexual.

There should be evidence, either audio or printed?
    Who are the pricks.
    Own up - COME OUT
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He said he was being asked about his sexuality during his teens and at a time when he was going to an all-boys school, he felt he could not possibly announce he was gay during that time. You have to understand how he'd have felt about the reaction he'd have received at school, poor guy. It's fine for adult gay men to say 'come out and be proud' but a young kid at school is not going to have such confidence, especially at a time when he was probably struggling with his feelings. It seems to be the thing these days that famous young male sportsmen have to swan around with a glamour or fashion model on their arm and if they don't, as in Ian's case, the rumour mill begins. Possessing a modelling portfolio seems to be mandatory for being an athlete's girlfriend these days.

Anyway, I hope the road ahead is a much smoother one for him now, a magnificent swimmer in his day and a great ambassador for the sport of swimming.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad that this doesn't seem to have made many headlines over here (I don't know how much it is being reported in Australia?) It really isn't relevant. What he achieved in the pool is.

He seems like a lovely guy, and I am happy for him that he seems in a good place and felt comfortable enough to talk about this though. :)
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty huge here - although not that many watched the actual interview. But reaction is very positive - he is very loved far more than he knows.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Well I hope if it is true, it's a weight off his shoulders.

I've always felt about Ian, and expressed this here before, that his issues weren't just down to swimming. Many people went further and expressed they thought he was a victim of the closet.

Even so, it may not be/entirely the reason for his bad time in recent years but hopefully if he does wish to express himself then people will be understanding. People struggle mightily with allsorts and it's often hard to put yourself in someone else's shoes no matter what. We all have different life experiences.

We'll see what comes of the interview, but regardless, Ian comes across as a nice guy and all the best to him.

Quite. As much as I think it will be good for him to finally go public, and enjoy the freedom that comes with that, people do not need a reason for depression. It's kind-of the reason why actual depression is different from just feeling a bit down. Nevertheless, a person prone to depression doesn't need the extra stress and anxiety of being in the closet.
    warszawa wrote: »
    Ian Thorpe says he's not straight. Well knock me down with a feather. But why Parky of all people?

I don't get the Parky bit either, but then I've never liked him much, and I think he's over-rated as an interviewer. However, if Ian felt comfortable speaking with him, that's what counts. :)

Good luck to him. :D
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    It really isn't relevant.

Until every gay person can be gay without being harrassed or questioned or told he or she is 'going through a phase' etc. etc. it is relevant. And sadly, in sports it seems to be even more relevant. Some people cannot get their head around the fact that their sports heroes might be gay... or, their teammate who they have to shower with....

So well done Ian for coming out, hopefully more athletes will now feel they can, too.
  • Mel GMel G Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    I've read that Parky spends a lot of time in Australia, and is very well known there - presumably he writes and/or broadcasts there too, so the connection isn't completely surprising. Australian-based posters might be able to confirm this?
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    It's pretty huge here - although not that many watched the actual interview. But reaction is very positive - he is very loved far more than he knows.

That's good to hear, really comes across as a lovely guy, and obviously a fabulous sportsman.

Hopefully he's over doing the Commonwealth Games swimming punditry, him, Mark and Clare were really good during the Olympics
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His show was shown here & his status as a cricket tragic makes him pretty well known, they'd certainly know each other.

I've been trying to think who else might have interviewed him and apart from Andrew Denton, who's not really that sporty, there isn't anyone that sympathetic, empathetic and talented enough. Most of the sport guys are kinda Neanderthal and the journalists too heavy handed or well crappy.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so that's why they call him the thorpedo
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    Until every gay person can be gay without being harrassed or questioned or told he or she is 'going through a phase' etc. etc. it is relevant. And sadly, in sports it seems to be even more relevant. Some people cannot get their head around the fact that their sports heroes might be gay... or, their teammate who they have to shower with....

So well done Ian for coming out, hopefully more athletes will now feel they can, too.

It isn't relevant to me, and it shouldn't be relevant to anyone. The only thing that should be relevant is what he achieved as a swimmer. That was my point, hence why I said I'm glad it doesn't seem to have made many headlines over here. Because the fact that a well-known person is gay shouldn't be headline news.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is big news mainly because Thorpe is so big. (Others like Matthew Mitcham, Mathew Helm, came out many years ago to much less fanfare, being much less well known at that time.) But a quick google search quickly confirms that plenty of UK (and US) news outlets are running the story and also running follow-up stories with other angles (sponsorship reasons, public reaction.)

Parkinson is extremely well known in Australia with his show having been regularly shown for years and I'm pretty sure, having some series repeated by a commercial network after it had been shown by the ABC network. Given Australians are likely to be interested in Thorpe, having Parkinson interview him doesn't seem odd.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is big news mainly because Thorpe is so big. (Others like Matthew Mitcham, Mathew Helm, came out many years ago to much less fanfare, being much less well known at that time.) But a quick google search quickly confirms that plenty of UK (and US) news outlets are running the story and also running follow-up stories with other angles (sponsorship reasons, public reaction.)

Exactly. It's not always about how 'shocking' a story is. Sometimes the media just likes to run stories on certain celebrities, and a number of sports stars fall into that category. Only a couple of weeks ago the Mail managed to create a front page story out of a tiny comment Andy Murray made about his girlfriend having cooked chicken and veg for his dinner the night before. :confused:

Most people have a great deal of respect and affection for Ian, and that's why they are interested in his well-being, which inevitably means taking an interest in his personal life. It's one of those stories that loads of people appear to have already known, so most people just seem pleased that he's comfortable talking about it.
  • kxkkxk Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Mel G wrote: »
    I've read that Parky spends a lot of time in Australia, and is very well known there - presumably he writes and/or broadcasts there too, so the connection isn't completely surprising. Australian-based posters might be able to confirm this?

Yes, his series was very popular here, we like interview & panel shows a lot.

And - he has made a couple of series here in Australia.

He has written for media here, and used to come here every summer for cricket and a bit of tennis too I think.

Parky is a good choice - a degree of separation, that alone probably made Thorpe more comfortable.
    An Australian - may have been too much.
    Plus all of his media stuff has been in the UK, he is probably more comfortable with UK set ups.
    Thorpe is commenting for channel 10 here for the Commonwealth Games, this will be the first time Aussies have had the privilege of Thorpe's insights, we are looking forward to it.

Parky & Thorpe also share the same PR/management firm I believe.

It is a really interesting interview aside from that issue, swimmers astound me, how they can endure those distances, swimming hurts, how do they do it?
    Parky clearly shares that fascination.
    Damn it I miss Thorpe's swimming - that sleak black streak, he was mesmerising.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Exactly - I hope he recovers and we can see him back on our screens for the Rio Olympics.

He seems such a lovely intelligent guy - and he offered great insight. He really put Gary Lineker in his place on occasions too!

He certainly did, showing up Lineker for the self absorbed **** that he is! I never understood what Lineker was doing on the Olympic swimming coverage, piss off back to yer beloved footie & sell some more crisps.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be news?

I remember him working for the BBC at the Olympics. He was lovely, absolutely charming and adorable, and there much joking speculation about is he Colin Jackson's boyfriend! lol

I think it was more Mark Foster & Colin Jackson that was being bandied about!;-);-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all I have never heard of the guy because I don't follow cricket.

And secondly who cares if he is gay or not.

Seriously how is this news in 2014???

Surely `Brunt` is a spelling mistake! :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been some interesting comment coming from the evolving news articles, like this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10965410/Why-does-it-take-gay-sportsmen-so-long-to-come-out.html.

Why is it news? Some of the reasons why are covered in above. Er, and in some of the comments on that article. :(
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Ian Thorpe is gay.....??!!!

Well you could have knocked me down..... with a sledge hammer.

Was rather obvious what with the way he was outrageously flirting with Mark Foster during the 2012 Olympics swimming commentary.
    Mark Foster is of, of course, not gay at all (!!)