Options

The Emmerdale Discussion Thread (Spoilers in tags — Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:o:o

The lad who play's Robbie is an atrocious 'actor'. My hamster can out act him and he's been dead in the ground for 9 years. And Finn is no better but I mainly put that down to the character being an abysmal bore.

And FYI The Spong is not a troll. He's got his views and isn't afraid to explain them no matter how many posters try and put him down, A trait that I greatly admire.

BIB - I think Laura Norton is an amazing actress but she had been reduced to sole comedy character without any drama to balance it out and show everyone what she's really made off. I love Kerry and think she's hilarious but she is also capable of producing excellent drama that she's been starved off since Amy left.

Thank you for your support:)
    it's good to see we can completely disagree about Kerry/Laura yet respsect our different views without resorting to insults.
    i also agree that Kerry has suffered since Amy left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    Not while Oates is in charge! :(

I'm with you, JR! I think Spunger has made it quite clear he's not a troll, obviously the show means a lot to him as it does to me. I respect that he can even bear to watch the thing anymore, I certainly can't. I accused Spunger of being a troll in the early days but I'm not too proud to apologise for that. I'm sorry, Spunger. :)

Personally I think it's certain people on here who think it's okay to call Emmerdale's critics 'trolls' just because we don't follow the crowd; these populist hectors are the real trolls.

I also agree that Laura Norton is a good actress, however Kate Oates has taken it upon herself to pigeonhole characters - in modern Emmerdale, you are either a comedy character or a serious one. You cannot be both, as people are in real life. You must be this and you must be that - know your place!

No need to apologise to me.:)
    We both want Ed to be better than what it is and think it can get back to being what it once was but something has to give and we both agree on what that is.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spunger wrote: »
    I won't quote myself again:Dbut it shows how utterly cheap, lazy and predictable these two are as character because next week instead of seeing Dan wearing a silly hat to show how hilarious he is we get to see him in a dress.(:blush::
    i can see why Kate Oates and the writers want to keep these in the show,. They over stretched with 6 episodes a week to produce so they throw in as many Kerry and Dan scenes as they can. That way it gives the writers a break because their pathetic childish crap must take all of a **** break to write a month's material for them. Then they save time on having to do retakes ect because any old ham acting from them gets the green light.:(:>:(
    i wish i could laugh at people falling over all the time and wearing silly clothes but i can't because i find it insulting for such crap to be on my tv screen in 2014.:p
    No arguments here from me on the subject of Desperately Dull Dan - I pretty much fall into a coma every time he appears on screen. This is why I was so desperately hoping his bro would be somebody more worthy of WorKerreh and sweep her off her feet. Instead we got the OrangeCheekedTw*tWithBadTopPerm. >:(>:(

Men dressing up as women also leaves me totally stony-faced, (and has done since about 1970). :(

I do think you're right about the 'giving the writers a break' thing though. At this time of year I imagine most of the 'stars' of the show are off on their vacations and it's not possible to write important sls which affect them. Which would be fine if the lazy writers gave decent sls to those cast members who are usually pushed into the background, like Nico, Jimmy, Victoria, Vanessa or any/all of the rarely seen oldies. But no, we just get stupid 'comedy filler'. >:(
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Hopefully, Kerry is one of the 'exits' that Kate Oates has promised us this summer.

oooh I didn't know some exits were planned.

I suppose we all have different ideas as to who we would like them to be. :D

For me, it's just Adam.
    Can't stand the character or the Oik who plays him. [Yes I have had the displeasure of being in his presence more than once.]

There are others who I don't think are very good actors too, but I can watch them without being too annoyed - Kelvin/Andy, Sammy/Katie for example.
    spunger wrote: »
    Thank you for your support:)
    it's good to see we can completely disagree about Kerry/Laura yet respsect our different views without resorting to insults.
    i also agree that Kerry has suffered since Amy left.

I'd like to add my voice of support for spunger too..
    We disagree about loads but we don't fight about it. And I like to read spunger's posts.

I think the Kerry actress is a good actress but I think the character is getting too daft to laugh at now. It's like, she was funny at first but now they are milking it too much and the joke is no longer funny.

If they knocked off the slapstick nonsense with her I think she could become a good main character in the show. And Dan, too.

Yes, the soap needs humour, but there's humour and there's stretching it too far.
  • Options
    crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I find Kerry really really irritating, the jokes are becoming so thin they are practically anorexic. She seem to have a vast over inflated opinion of herself and I thought Ali should have smacked her round the chops when she was so chuffed about Sean joining up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    No arguments here from me on the subject of Desperately Dull Dan - I pretty much fall into a coma every time he appears on screen. This is why I was so desperately hoping his bro would be somebody more worthy of WorKerreh and sweep her off her feet. Instead we got the OrangeCheekedTw*tWithBadTopPerm. >:(>:(

Men dressing up as women also leaves me totally stony-faced, (and has done since about 1970). :(

I do think you're right about the 'giving the writers a break' thing though. At this time of year I imagine most of the 'stars' of the show are off on their vacations and it's not possible to write important sls which affect them. Which would be fine if the lazy writers gave decent sls to those cast members who are usually pushed into the background, like Nico, Jimmy, Victoria, Vanessa or any/all of the rarely seen oldies. But no, we just get stupid 'comedy filler'. >:(

On this country people go on their holidays... Leave all that vacation malarky to our colonial cousins of you please....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Kerry really really irritating, the jokes are becoming so thin they are practically anorexic. She seem to have a vast over inflated opinion of herself and I thought Ali should have smacked her round the chops when she was so chuffed about Sean joining up.
    The character is most annoying but the actress has got a cracking set of norks... Er.. :-o
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    On this country people go on their holidays... Leave all that vacation malarky to our colonial cousins of you please....
    :blush:

Oh well, at least I've mastered the use of prepositions and conjunctions....... unlike some. :p
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me or is Emmerdale just about affairs and the Priya David stuff going in circles for what seems like years.

It's utter garbage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    :blush:

Oh well, at least I've mastered the use of prepositions and conjunctions....... unlike some. :p

We'd get on so well in person. :cool:
    Is it me or is Emmerdale just about affairs and the Priya David stuff going in circles for what seems like years.

It's utter garbage.

Yup. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chitarivera: Thank you for your kind words.

It's interesting you think Sammy Winward is one of the worst actors in the show but think Liam Fox is good enough to be a main character. That just shows how diverse opinions are here which can only be a thing. I've siad enough about how bad i think Liam is so i'l say no more on him. While i don't think Sammy is up there with the very best in the show do think she does a decent job playing a very straight, low key, blandish, normal character. I think they can be more difficult to play than what they are given credit for because you can't hide behind anything. She can't get away with horrific gurning like certain characters or be loud and ott.
    But that's just my opinion as always.
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have kept Katie with Declan, I think given time she would have been a right hard faced cow to everyone...money and all that...Instead we have Charity, and although I like her, I think she is rather pantominish (is that a word?) with her plot scheming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abbottab wrote: »
    They should have kept Katie with Declan, I think given time she would have been a right hard faced cow to everyone...money and all that...Instead we have Charity, and although I like her, I think she is rather pantominish (is that a word?) with her plot scheming.

Katie just isn't the hard-faced type. She's soft and kind, so this apparent catfighting with Bernice I've been hearing about lately is yet more out of character, highly strung sensationalist rubbish from the Queen of Trash. And they thought it was Paul Marquess! :kitty:
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie just isn't the hard-faced type. She's soft and kind, so this apparent catfighting with Bernice I've been hearing about lately is yet more out of character, highly strung sensationalist rubbish from the Queen of Trash. And they thought it was Paul Marquess! :kitty:

Yeah - she was soft & kind back in the day when she was cheating on Andy with Robert & terrorising poor lil Vic who ended up so traumatised she started talking to her dolly.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Paddeh's on The Horror Channel right now :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah - she was soft & kind back in the day when she was cheating on Andy with Robert & terrorising poor lil Vic who ended up so traumatised she started talking to her dolly.

She was a snotty teenager. I suppose you were Pollyanna as a teenager. :p
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was a snotty teenager. I suppose you were Pollyanna as a teenager. :p

:confused:
    What's my life as a teenager got to do with anything :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member

Well said, sheepiefarm - I'd forgotten how she terrorised a 5-year-old.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abbottab wrote: »

Katie and Declan never looked right as a couple from day one. I felt they liked eachother but that should have been kept as a friendship and nothing more.
    The lady at Home Farm needs to have a more colourful personality than Katie. She is more suited to being a normal person in the village.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    Paddeh's on The Horror Channel right now :eek:

Isn't he about to start making his 2nd movie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lois_Green wrote: »

The 5 year old Victoria was given better stuff to do than the adult one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:
    What's my life as a teenager got to do with anything :confused:

The point I was making is that no-one is perfect as a teenager, including Katie.
    Lois_Green wrote: »

This storyline was in 2004, Victoria would have been 9 or 10-years-old.
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any logical reason why the Emmerdale - Past and Present thread shouldn't be merged with this older Discussion thread?

I don't see anything that could be discussed on one thread but not the other.

Not wanting to tread on any toes but I tend to see the same posters on both threads. It's no big deal but just wondered...:confused:
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Is there any logical reason why the Emmerdale - Past and Present thread shouldn't be merged with this older Discussion thread?

I don't see anything that could be discussed on one thread but not the other.

Not wanting to tread on any toes but I tend to see the same posters on both threads. It's no big deal but just wondered...:confused:
    I've been wondering that myself for about a year. I didn't want to mention it in case there was some unspoken reason for it that I might violate :blush:
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    I've been wondering that myself for about a year. I didn't want to mention it in case there was some unspoken reason for it that I might violate :blush:

Well, yes there is a historical reason - commonly known as "The Emmerdale Wars". Much blood was spilt.:cool:...That said, most of the posters involved on both sides, no longer post here so there really isn't an obstacle to a merger as far as I can see.
This discussion has been closed.