Options

Bisexual Erasure

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who bloody cares whether he is gay or straight?

Leave the man to live his bloody life as he sees fit.

I long for the day when someone declaring themselves gay/bi/transgender is not newsworthy.

Quite. Who cares?
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I knew Erasure were gay. Where are they now?

Actually only Andy Bell is gay, Vince Clark is married with kids.

Erasure are still around new album due 2014.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    like lesbians

you dont see or hear much about them. :confused:

Apparently the internet is full of videos about lesbians.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    Quite. Who cares?

Tom Daley cares enough to make an announcement via a video for all to see. Anyone who didn't know he was gay already must be dumb deaf and blind. He's got people talking about it
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big.Al wrote: »
    Quite. Who cares?

Plenty of people, unfortunately.

If he hadn't done this all that would have happened is the media would have made it into a bigger thing. At least this way he is more in control. I imagine it's what I would have done.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just has no visibility. We only see bisexuals who have sex with men, so that's all we assume exist.

The problem is that say if I was famous and I had a boyfriend and then after we split up I got a girlfriend there's every chance the papers would say that I was "straight again", which is idiotic.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't understand why this is national news.
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't understand why this is national news.

very few sports stars come out. if you consider the niche sport of diving into a pool as worthy of star status.

if he was a prem football player then that would be news
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why well known people feel the need to reveal their sexuality to anyone. Russell Brand hasn't come out as a hetrosexual because it would be a pointless thing to do.

Want to come out as liking Mars Bars too?

Keep it to yourself Tom.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh No!!

Just read that Maria Bello is gay. :(

Oh well that's my chance of getting off with her out then.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Personally I think he is gay.

I completely know bisexuals exist so don't try and hit me with that brush, but the way I see it, as someone said previously, which is more likely, that he is part of the very small minority of bisexual people and has only realised it at 19? Or he is choosing to"brand" himself as bisexual realising that the media and advertising and the loss of female "fans" still effects so many gay people? I know which one I find more likely.

I have experience of (having a close family member who is gay) and all the gay people ive ever heard talk about their experience, knew from childhood they were gay and not like Tom Daley who apparently had "a flick of a switch at 19".
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why well known people feel the need to reveal their sexuality to anyone. Russell Brand hasn't come out as a hetrosexual because it would be a pointless thing to do.

Keep it to yourself Tom.

Oh don't be so silly. In a world were practically everyone is just assumed to be heterosexual, it's pretty obvious why 'coming out' is a thing. Russell Brand hasn't come out at heterosexual because he doesn't have to. He can go out with women and the media aren't going to go OH GOD, HE'S GOING OUT WITH A WOMAN. But if Tom goes out with his boyfriend, you can guarantee that the reaction will be different and would've been even bigger if not for him announcing it himself.

All this 'why should anyone come out' stuff is totally ignorant to what life is actually like for LGBT people.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Keep it to yourself Tom.

Except that is rubbish and you know it. People dont have to come out as heterosexual because the media doesnt hunt people down for being heterosexual and if they see someone holding hands, write 10 pages of "showbiz" articles. Compare that to Daley who has had to answer questions about his sexuality for ever when he previously kept it quiet.

He is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt. If he doesnt say anything the media chase after him and hassle him all the time.

If he does say something, idiots like you come out and tell them to "shut up" and stop whining.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think he is gay.

I completely know bisexuals exist so don't try and hit me with that brush, but the way I see it, as someone said previously, which is more likely, that he is part of the very small minority of bisexual people and has only realised it at 19? Or he is choosing to"brand" himself as bisexual realising that the media and advertising and the loss of female "fans" still effects so many gay people? I know which one I find more likely.

I have experience of (having a close family member who is gay) and all the gay people ive ever heard talk about their experience, knew from childhood they were gay and not like Tom Daley who apparently had "a flick of a switch at 19".

Or he was completely oblivious to his sexuality (as in he just assumed he was straight) until he met this guy. Which is completely possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it mean he'll stop being a good diver?:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    If I was this man he's having a relationship with I think I'd be a bit narked if he did say that he still likes girls.
    Poor form, surely.
    When a person sees fit to make a public comment about his or her relationship status, making a point of saying you still like other people seems a bit thoughtless.

That seems pretty childish. I mean, my mum occasionally mentions that she finds George Clooney attractive but it's not like my dad loses any sleep over it.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofadude wrote: »
    Does it mean he'll stop being a good diver?:cool:

I honestly read that as "Does it mean he'll stop being a good driver"

Which is probably a more valid question
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    If I was this man he's having a relationship with I think I'd be a bit narked if he did say that he still likes girls.
    Poor form, surely.
    When a person sees fit to make a public comment about his or her relationship status, making a point of saying you still like other people seems a bit thoughtless.

Presumably to hold onto his fanbase?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FMKK wrote: »
    Or he was completely oblivious to his sexuality (as in he just assumed he was straight) until he met this guy. Which is completely possible.

Possible yes, but extremely rare. The guy is already the rarest of the rare by being a medal winning Olympic diver, now he is even more rare by being bisexual who didnt have any inclinations of men before the age of 19...what's next, Euromillions win?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That seems pretty childish. I mean, my mum occasionally mentions that she finds George Clooney attractive but it's not like my dad loses any sleep over it.

But your mum clearly says that as a joke, Tom Daley has just come out in a very serious and sober video and said he fancies women. You'd assume his current partner is obviously fine with that, presuming he told him before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possible yes, but extremely rare. The guy is already the rarest of the rare by being a medal winning Olympic diver, now he is even more rare by being bisexual who didnt have any inclinations of men before the age of 19...what's next, Euromillions win?

Well maybe he did have an inclination that he was interested in men beforehand too. Maybe he was just totally confused. None of this lends any credence to your assertion that he must be gay.
    But your mum clearly says that as a joke, Tom Daley has just come out in a very serious and sober video and said he fancies women. You'd assume his current partner is obviously fine with that, presuming he told him before.

The logical implication that his boyfriend would have a problem with it is that bisexual people cannot be dated because you don't trust them not to stay.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    But most people at least would acknowledge that they exist. Bisexuals are usually seen as either gay and in denial or "greedy" or sexually confused.

I agree, there is the perception out there that bisexuality is an 'excuse' for something, and not a legitimate sexuality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well maybe he did have an inclination that he was interested in men beforehand too. Maybe he was just totally confused. None of this lends any credence to your assertion that he must be gay.

The logical implication that his boyfriend would have a problem with it is that bisexual people cannot be dated because you don't trust them not to stay.

Actually I was thinking more of the fact, if I was gay id want my boyfriend to be honest with me, to know where I stand with him to be able to get inside his feelings and know what's going on so I can understand them better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I was thinking more of the fact, if I was gay id want my boyfriend to be honest with me, to know where I stand with him to be able to get inside his feelings and know what's going on so I can understand them better.

And nothing indicates that Tom hasn't done that. Or that his boyfriend is gay.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What about people like Tom Robinson who was gay for donkeys years an avid gay rights campaigner who's ended up with a woman