Casey Kasem has passed away

Comments

• occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad news. Smooth were doing some shows some time ago.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member
    I went to Florida back in 2002 and sitting by the pool listening to Casey on the radio was just about as good as it could get.

One of the all time great radio voices, his feet no longer on the ground but you bet your life he's reaching for the stars.
  • Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to listen to him on AFN when I was in Germany. (American Forces Network) Very distinctive voice. RIP.
  • Andy WalmsleyAndy Walmsley Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul Easton has written about how Casey's American Top 40 shows were distributed for syndication:

http://pauleaston.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/casey-kasem-final-countdown.html
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Dodd wrote: »

That article mentions that he was quite outspoken on sensitive issues, something that we would not expect from a pop music DJ.

"For the past 30 years, Kasem was also politically active but kept that "flip side" of his life, as he called it, carefully separate from his radio persona. He spoke out frequently for Palestinian rights and Arab American causes and politicians. He protested U.S. military involvement in the Middle East, voiced concern about anti-Arab stereotyping and arranged conflict resolution workshops for Arab and Jewish Americans in Los Angeles and his native Detroit.

He said he was moved to activism on Mideast issues after Israel's 1982 invasion of Lebanon left thousands of Lebanese and Palestinians dead and injured. "All of a sudden, that was really close to home," he told People magazine in 1990.

He also advocated on behalf of the homeless and for affordable housing, once sleeping overnight on a downtown L.A. sidewalk to draw attention to the plight of street people. He was a longtime vegan who supported animal rights and was an anti-nuclear activist." - Los Angeles Times
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.
  • CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaggy: Like there's times I'll do anything for a Scoobie Snack
    Scooby Doo: Scooby Doobie Doo!
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Farewell to a broadcasting legend. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad News indeed,we knew he had been in poor health for a while now. First heard him,on Radio Nova,from Dublin in the early 80's. He occasionally mentioned Nova as well on AT40.
    I often wondered if he knew of the upheaval his show being heard in the UK,had caused,as British ILR stations were not permitted to broadcast AT40,at that time. Of course Nova had a powerhouse signal,it was heard well into the Midlands and Yorkshire,as I remember.
  • NewsbuffNewsbuff Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very, very sad about this.
    I remember first seeing him on America's Top 10 and he really inspired my love of the American charts, and indeed popular music and culture in the USA in general as well.
    Him and Richard Blade also made me to want to work in American radio, which I did all too briefly and he was an inspiration.
    Apart from that, his shows are so entertaining in so many ways, but mainly the warmth and enthusiasm with which he conducts each countdown. Long may the broadcasts continue.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iowa stattion KOKZ are having a AT40 marathon weekend starting today at 1pm local time (7pm uk time) http://www.1057kokz.com/index.php/Pages/American_Top_40_Weekend
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Condolences. I remember at school his American chart programme. Do you remember Rowan Atkinson did a parody of Casey. He was Lebanese.
  • dlmccabedlmccabe Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some really funny clips of Casey in the Kevin & Bean podcast from Monday 16 June. A class act
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    Condolences. I remember at school his American chart programme. Do you remember Rowan Atkinson did a parody of Casey. He was Lebanese.

No, do you have a link to these? I've only found the MAR 1386 parodies from Tony Hayes on You Tube
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So long Casey. :(

Sleep well.