Options

New Trailer for Series 8

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just seen the new trailer! It's really good. :cool: Can't give too much away, but Peter's Doctor asks Clara "Am I a good man?" She replies, "I don't know."

If you want to see it, just click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

:D

Comments

• Options
    John_Smith62John_Smith62 Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    ...Can't give too much away...

It's been officially released by the BBC, so therefore is perfectly fine for discussion :)

What's the point of the BBC putting a trailer out there in the first place if everyone who sees it feels they have to remain tight-lipped about it :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Love:

The TARDIS on fire
    The space battle
    The purple eyed robot
    The Daleks line
    The dinosaur

Hate:
    It was only a minute long
  • Options
    QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate:
    It was only a minute long

But we got sooooooo much in that minute ;)
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DINOSAURS! IN LONDON!

Please excuse the mess I have made on the floor.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    DINOSAURS! IN LONDON!

Please excuse the mess I have made on the floor.

I was wondering when we would get another Dinosaur on Earth story, as we (quote me if I'm wrong), haven't had one since 1974 with Jon Pertwee, Lis Sladen and UNIT.

That story was quite good, but the effects were awful. They looked just like action figures.

So looking forward to this series. :cool: Just under six weeks to go!! Woo!! Woo!! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to a breakdown of this trailer, I think Emergency Awesome will do one on YouTube, he's usually good with that sort of thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also is that a robot Silurian I see?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still not hearing a Scottish accent
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »

He's scottish in the last scene straight after regeneration, that whole sequence he has a scottish accent, not sure how you missed it.:D
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt the series 5 trailer was a lot better than this. Half of this trailer was made up images used in previous trailers and telling us the new episode is on the 23rd of August.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member

Nor me, he sounds soft spoken but I am not getting a strong accent, just a little bit posh. he is magnificent and wonderful and we are in for such a treat, I am ready to fall in love with DW all over again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't until the final sequence in the new trailer. Even there it's not a very strong accent.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Nor me, he sounds soft spoken but I am not getting a strong accent, just a little bit posh. he is magnificent and wonderful and we are in for such a treat, I am ready to fall in love with DW all over again.

See I'm a Moffat fan boy (allegedly)and enjoyed most of Elevens era but its great to read posts like this for some strange reason.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    See I'm a Moffat fan boy (allegedly)and enjoyed most of Elevens era but its great to read posts like this for some strange reason.

I didnt hate 11's era,I could just take it or leave it, and rarely got excited,which made me quite sad, but for the first time since 2005 I am thrilled that there is a new series and with each little teaser I get more and more excited, I even went upstairs and got my little one out of bed to come and view this trailer :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I didnt hate 11's era,I could just take it or leave it, and rarely got excited,which made me quite sad, but for the first time since 2005 I am thrilled that there is a new series and with each little teaser I get more and more excited, I even went upstairs and got my little one out of bed to come and view this trailer :D

yeah. I know on this board and everywhere its easy to get drawn into era wars. Its normal. But it would be really good if S8 could bring back on board some of those who didn't quite like previous Moffat series. Of course at the same time there will no doubt be those who loved Elevens era and don't like Twelves. But the more people that love it the better. I've been lucky I suppose in that I have to one degree or another loved every series of New Who. But I have really high hopes for S8 and Capaldi. Could be the best yet.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My advice for everyone is to not hype yourself up too much. Personally, I'm not going into Series 8 with the mindset that it's going to be some dramatic direction change or the beginning of a new golden age of Doctor Who, because if it isn't then I'm less likely to be massively disappointed and more likely to enjoy what we get.

At the end of the day, Moffat is still at the helm of the show, and his writing style isn't going to change overnight so I think we can pretty much expect more of the same except perhaps with a lot more coherence and focus now that there's no idiotic series split; and I'm happy with this.

What I wouldn't do is claim "this is going to be the best series ever" based on a trailer. People do that every year and are then disappointed.

At the moment, I don't have many expectations or hopes.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly excited! I can't wait for 23rd August, but I'm going to reserve my judgement of the series until after it airs.

I'm going off to university for the first time in October though. Hopefully the university doesn't have some ridiculous data limit so I can watch the show on iPlayer.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the last bit with PC sitting next to JC asking if he was a good man. So simple and yet effective in establishing him.

I've got a good feeling about this Doctor. By this time next year all the polls may vote him as the favourite all time Doctor. Who was Matt Smith anyway? :cool: (That is not intended to slate Matt who was a good Doctor).
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some fine promotion across a four month period, unexpected but very welcome.

Good job, BBC.
  • Options
    PobattiPobatti Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Is anyone actually actually discussing the trailer?

I can't actually view it on the main site as my bandwidth is slow so I'm hoping to catch it repeated on BBC1 sometime. Is there anything new other than these dinosaurs?

Has anyone screen-capped the trailer anywhere?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pobatti wrote: »
    Is anyone actually actually discussing the trailer?

I can't actually view it on the main site as my bandwidth is slow so I'm hoping to catch it repeated on BBC1 sometime. Is there anything new other than these dinosaurs?

Has anyone screen-capped the trailer anywhere?

There's quite a few Daleks. And some weird alien with eyes on really long stems. There's a robot thing and an android with half it's face missing (think a poorly constructed Terminator without the red eyes) and Capaldi riding a horse in pyjamas. There's not really that much else; the trailer really doesn't give a lot away (which is a good thing seeing as some of the 'fans' intend do give it all away anyway).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My advice for everyone is to not hype yourself up too much. Personally, I'm not going into Series 8 with the mindset that it's going to be some dramatic direction change or the beginning of a new golden age of Doctor Who, because if it isn't then I'm less likely to be massively disappointed and more likely to enjoy what we get.

At the end of the day, Moffat is still at the helm of the show, and his writing style isn't going to change overnight so I think we can pretty much expect more of the same except perhaps with a lot more coherence and focus now that there's no idiotic series split; and I'm happy with this.

What I wouldn't do is claim "this is going to be the best series ever" based on a trailer. People do that every year and are then disappointed.

At the moment, I don't have many expectations or hopes.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly excited! I can't wait for 23rd August, but I'm going to reserve my judgement of the series until after it airs.

I'm going off to university for the first time in October though. Hopefully the university doesn't have some ridiculous data limit so I can watch the show on iPlayer.

Of course we need to wait and see. But the signs are all there. Yes its Moffat. And I think he's a brilliant writer. So I am excited. And it seems he has slightly changed the tone of the show and knew to do it at exactly the right time. Capaldi is clearly going to own the role. So what's not to love?

And some people would have you believe Moffat was out of ideas! In the space of just over a year he has completed Elevens story, delivered an incredibly well received anniversary special, Sherlock and now master minded a whole new era. Brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's quite a few Daleks. And some weird alien with eyes on really long stems. There's a robot thing and an android with half it's face missing (think a poorly constructed Terminator without the red eyes) and Capaldi riding a horse in pyjamas. There's not really that much else; the trailer really doesn't give a lot away (which is a good thing seeing as some of the 'fans' intend do give it all away anyway).

We already knew much of this, but the parts I bolded I haven't heard mentioned yet. Is the robot/terminator similar to the one we saw in Series 7 part 1 (the western episode)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We already knew much of this, but the parts I bolded I haven't heard mentioned yet. Is the robot/terminator similar to the one we saw in Series 7 part 1 (the western episode)?

It does look like that the first time you watch the trailer but not so much upon repeat viewings. There's also some shots of a battle in space.

CultBox have a gallery up but the site is inaccessible right now.

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/galleries/doctor-who-pics-gallery-series-8s-new-monsters

Someone mentioned earlier about a robot Silurian... the robot does look like a Silurian. We also see Vastra talking to Strax and the first part of the trailer has a Dalek talking over it. From what the Dalek says it makes me wonder if they might be getting a slight makeover.

One thing I am wondering; according to the earliest reports from people who saw the first episode filming, it would feature
    the return of the Clockwork Droids
    , however, I don't see them in this trailer. It makes me wonder if this was accurate. PS: I don't need this question answered; I don't wish to be spoiled. Thank you. :)
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ask this question in the spoiler thread if you want to know the answer (I haven't read episode 1 script or seen it but there are rumours since January)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It does look like that the first time you watch the trailer but not so much upon repeat viewings. There's also some shots of a battle in space.

CultBox have a gallery up but the site is inaccessible right now.

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/galleries/doctor-who-pics-gallery-series-8s-new-monsters

Brilliant - just what I needed! Thanks :)

I'll give that site chance to come online then check it out later.