Options

The Simpsons - time for it to end?

Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
Forum Member
I have seen a few recent Simpsons episodes at UK pace whilst being at my mothers.

Some of the storylines have been so forgettable such as Grandpa wih a jazz singer, its just being dragged out.

Surely now after 25 years it is now time to say goodbye? Since Series 17 (bar 20) it has just been an embarassment.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Saw somethnig earlier and I didn't know if it was a promo for a product or a trailer

Simpsons as Lego characters?
    Apparently it's a new episode
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Saw somethnig earlier and I didn't know if it was a promo for a product or a trailer

Simpsons as Lego characters?
    Apparently it's a new episode

Its a new ep and its the 550 ep
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    It's been awful for a decade. I used to love it, but it has actually been bad for longer than the time that it was good. A real shame because it used to be so clever, funny and full of heart. Now, it is all about celebrity cameos and bizarre, uninspired story lines. Should have ended in the early 2000s.
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    I couldn't agree more JimothyD. There is one on SKY1 over Marge's missing wedding dress and Homer as a Deacon.

It's too off the wall, and well they've done everything. I think it should have ended with the film.
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should never have even made it to the film. After series 9 was when it started to decline. They should have called it at 10. But I expect everyone involved makes a ton of money and they probably really couldn't care about quality.

Shame really. At it's best it's very hard to beat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should move it on a bit.And make Bart 14 and Lisa 12.
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to check this wasn't a necrothread from the early 2000's.

The Simpsons has got to a point now that it will never die due to falling standards or esteem.
    The only way it will die is if it becomes unprofitable.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wolfticket wrote: »

The Simpsons has got to a point now that it will never die due to falling standards or esteem.

If they had the characters age which Bart & Lisa would be grown up and possibly having kids of their own then it would still be an interesting show, also imagine all the new characters introduced and the more likely killed off by now (Grandpa, Mr Burns, maybe even Krusty)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    If they had the characters age which Bart & Lisa would be grown up and possibly having kids of their own then it would still be an interesting show, also imagine all the new characters introduced and the more likely killed off by now (Grandpa, Mr Burns, maybe even Krusty)

Bart should be 38 and Lisa 36 now.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Bart should be 38 and Lisa 36 now.

And Homer probably dead from a heart attack or something!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    And Homer probably dead from a heart attack or something!

Most likely.
    a major simpson character is set to die next season and there's a family guy simpsons crossover coming up and bart is to be in american dad.

another new episode in august is going to be set in the future again you.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »
    I think they should move it on a bit.And make Bart 14 and Lisa 12.

They pretty much have already, Bart and Lisa haven't acted their ages for years now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I still watch but I try to accept it for what it has become. It bears very little resemblance to The Simpsons that I grew up watching and isn't as good but is still funny at times.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    It should never have even made it to the film. After series 9 was when it started to decline. They should have called it at 10. But I expect everyone involved makes a ton of money and they probably really couldn't care about quality.

Shame really. At it's best it's very hard to beat.
    Not really. It lost its consistency by then, but there are good episodes in Season 10, 11 and 12 which people overlook. Heck, the episode where Lisa sleeps next to a cemetery came from a more recent season and I laugh as much watching that then any of the classics.

Season 25 is an improvement from the last few seasons, but the show isn't what it was. Accept that and you'll enjoy it more.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're launching Simpsons World- a Netflix style streaming service with all the episodes and new extras- in the USA in October, so I presume they see life in the old dog yet.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    I have seen a few recent Simpsons episodes at UK pace whilst being at my mothers.

Some of the storylines have been so forgettable such as Grandpa wih a jazz singer, its just being dragged out.

Surely now after 25 years it is now time to say goodbye? Since Series 17 (bar 20) it has just been an embarassment.

yeh. just because your not enjoying lets cancel it
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    wolfticket wrote: »

Which won't be happening any time soon the way the Lego Simpsons House keeps selling out so fast at work. Still can't believe it. One of the store big sellers (for what it's worth) like 20 a week are going out the door!
  • Options
    HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I think it would have been interesting if they'd have moved the characters on in age slightly.

I loved it as a child and enjoyed it as an adult but haven't watched it in years.

Even if they did stop making new episodes they would still show the repeats as they do with Friends (as an example) due to the popularity the show still has.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know most animated shows never age their characters but i feel this has been a factor in why The simpsons has seen a decline in quality. I still love the show and find it funny and entertaining but i am not blind to know that i personally count Season 2-12 as the show's golden years.

They should of done like a time jump. Have Lisa and Bart in high school so we can see them go through puberty. Lisa picking out her first bra. Bart and his raging hormones. Just things like that I would love to see these characters do and to develop them. Matt Groening is stuck in some sort of time loop when it comes to the show. Even Futurama moved along with the time. That show began in 3000 and ended in 3013.

Fox will never have the balls to cancel it. The only way this show will come to an end is if Matt dies or if one of the main voice cast does.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know most animated shows never age their characters but i feel this has been a factor in why The simpsons has seen a decline in quality. I still love the show and find it funny and entertaining but i am not blind to know that i personally count Season 2-12 as the show's golden years.

They should of done like a time jump. Have Lisa and Bart in high school so we can see them go through puberty. Lisa picking out her first bra. Bart and his raging hormones. Just things like that I would love to see these characters do and to develop them. Matt Groening is stuck in some sort of time loop when it comes to the show. Even Futurama moved along with the time. That show began in 3000 and ended in 3013.

Fox will never have the balls to cancel it. The only way this show will come to an end is if Matt dies or if one of the main voice cast does.

There have been several episodes set in the future which depict Bart, Lisa and Maggie as adults.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    There have been several episodes set in the future which depict Bart, Lisa and Maggie as adults.

Yes i know but that's just been for a bit of fun. I am talking on a permament basis. But not as adults, but as Teens.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    No, no no no no! I don't want it to end. :(
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    But I have to admit, the most memorable episodes for me have been between series 1 and 10.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But I have to admit, the most memorable episodes for me have been between series 1 and 10.

Virtually every single thing from The Simpsons that has crossed into popular culture comes from those years.

This show has been in a permanent vegative state for over a decade, but too many people won't let them pull the plug and let it die. Not with dignity, that ship sailed a looooong time ago. Just die.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member

Even Matt biting it wouldn't kill the show. After all, he doesn't write it nowadays. Hasn't wrote most of it since the Ullman shorts in fact. Losing Dan Castelleneta or Julie Cavner would kill the show though - there's no way they'd ever consider a recast. They retire characters whose VAs die (as with Phil Hartman and Marcia Wallace's characters Troy McClure, Lionel Hutz and Edna Krabappel).