Meat eaters, what wouldn't you eat?

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Assume we're talking the usual UK meat sources, Cow, Pig, Lamb, Chicken.
We'll start mild with the more unusual bit's these days.
Cow foot, Pigs trotter, Ox tail
A little more indepth with offal, Kidney, Liver, Tongue, Hearts.
How about brains or eyes?

OK unusual meat sources, Crocodile, Aligator, Ostrich, Kangaroo, Snake, Cat, Dog or even Rat?
Why not fried Spider, Locust, Cockroach.

Where's your cut off point?

Coo :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cut off point would be anything like Spider, Locust, Cockroach and rats, that would be a definite no no.
    dogs and cats ? again, a big no no, besides probably being illegal here in the UK, i just couldn't bring myself to try that.
    Kidney, Liver, oxtail, yes definitley, Tongue maybe !
    brains or eyes, absolutley not, the thought of all the juices bursting out as u take a bite makes me wanna heave :eek:
    so i'd guess that rules out buffalo's testicles as well.
  • dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    If was a matter of life or death, I'd pretty much eat anything. If it's out of choice, anything that crawls, has more than 4 legs, or wriggles, I would prefer to avoid :)
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wouldnt eat a baby
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything loathsome like spiders or cockroaches etc, cats because I've had pet ones, human.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and cats actually

or dogs

anything with a face

god im becoming vegan by default
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd eat the meaty bits of pretty much anything, but not the offal, and I don't fancy insects much. I think saying it's fine to eat some animals but not other (usually cute) animals is kind of hypocritical, but I'd probably have more trouble eating kitten than bacon...I think I'd eat human, if I got the chance to do so legally, just to see.

I have eaten alligator, boar, kangaroo, ostrich, various things like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if cockroaches tasted of bacon i would join rentokill
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Offal such as kidney/livers I won't touch, as per the unusual meat I'd try it at least once with the possible exception of the cockroaches as I really don't like them alive or dead.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Those who don't fancy fried Spider, Locust or Cockroach.
    How about if I farmed them, captive, fed on grain or something not allowed to trawl about in $hit and the like?
    Supplementary question would/do you eat shrimp, prawn, whelks or muscles?

Hmm someone curious about a bit of long pig...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything that crawls, slithers or spends a lot of time in trees is off-limits for me. I'm also quite happy to miss out on anything that's nocturnal or can re-grow missing bits of its body. If it's classes as vermin while it's alive, I'm not going to eat it when it's dead.

Of course, what I'd turn down would ultimately be dictated by how hungry I was. If I was just at the "Soon be time for lunch/dinner" stage, no problem, but if I was fast approaching the "If you stand still long enough, I'll eat you even if I have to do so raw" stage of starvation, anything would be eaten if there was a chance it would keep me alive. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those who don't fancy fried Spider, Locust or Cockroach.
    How about if I farmed them, captive, fed on grain or something not allowed to trawl about in $hit and the like?
    Supplementary question would/do you eat shrimp, prawn, whelks or muscles?

Hmm someone curious about a bit of long pig...

Still no, sorry they just give me the creeps scuttling around as they will insist on doing.

I can't eat fish so no on the shrimp, prawn etc.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would eat any actual "meat" and I would give offal and brains, etc. a try.

Would draw the line at eyeballs though as I can imagine the texture and I wouldn't like it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about boiled eyeballs?
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had curried brains at Zouks, in Bradford. Interesting texture, it has to be said. I wouldn't eat it again, only because they do nicer stuff. Tiny birds on skewers and the like. :)
  • FERAL SHARKEYFERAL SHARKEY Posts: 3,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anything with no face or more than four legs i aint eating .

are we talking about greggs again ?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    skazza wrote: »
    I've had curried brains at Zouks, in Bradford. Interesting texture, it has to be said. I wouldn't eat it again, only because they do nicer stuff. Tiny birds on skewers and the like. :)

Isn't it the French who net little Starlings or similar, cook them and eat them bones and all?
    Couldn't be ar$ed with that sort of thing myself, bones and not enough meat to make it worth the aggro, plucking and gutting, you can pop them into you mouth whole.
    Same reason why I couldn't be bothered with pigeon.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    The most unusual meat I've eaten was probably rabbit - and that was just the once in a Spanish paella on holiday. Wouldn't eat it again or anything more unusual.

Fine with any meat from a cow, pig, or sheep. I like lambs liver, but I wouldn't eat any other offal - except kidney in a steak and kidney pie!

I wouldn't eat shellfish, but I do eat crab, prawns and lobster.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no, sorry they just give me the creeps scuttling around as they will insist on doing.

I can't eat fish so no on the shrimp, prawn etc.
    I hope they won't insist on scuttling around after they're cooked :eek:

I'm not keen on most of the seafood things either.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll eat cow, pig, chicken, sheep and fish, no offal and that's about it.

It's just what I'm used to, I couldn't eat rabbit, duck or any other animal unless I was starving and had to. It makes no sense really as really there is no difference between a kangaroo and a cow but in my head ugh couldn't do it. It's conditioning, from a young age you're told it's ok to eat certain animals and it's hard to shake off.

I'd probably prefer to be vegetarian and I did try it once but it didn't make me very well.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't eat people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Your mum out? :D

*grabs coat*
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it the French who net little Starlings or similar, cook them and eat them bones and all?

Ortolans, drowned in Armagnac, then flambéed and eaten whole. Illegal in France, since they're an endangered species. Mitterand threw a feast with them on the menu just before he died. Convention dictates that you have to cover your face while eating it, to disguise 'the horror' of eating this tiny charred bird, or to 'preserve the aromas' or indeed, it has been said, to 'hide from god.'

I was on about quails in the curry house, they're bigger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    I hope they won't insist on scuttling around after they're cooked :eek:

Dunno, they're crafty buggers.

They'll survive armageddon doncha know. :D
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tripe
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302