Options

Are teachers lazy for closing schools??????

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    As soon as the weather gets better schools should open at the weekend to make up for all the time lost. I can't see the teachers objecting as they are dedicated:)
    Then you'd have parents complain about their weekend being wrecked and how it would disturb their time off, and many more reasons.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been discovered!!! :eek:

power mad you!
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Đirona wrote: »

:D:eek::D:eek::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    Then you'd have parents complain about their weekend being wrecked and how it would disturb their time off, and many more reasons.

Speaking as a parent, no way would I send my kids to school on a weekend.

And...

Speaking as a Teaching Assistant, if I wanted to work on a saturday I'd get a job in Top Shop.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I was not suggesting that the parents would have to attend. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was not suggesting that the parents would have to attend. :o

Lol...neither am I. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Speaking as a parent, no way would I send my kids to school on a weekend.

And...

Speaking as a Teaching Assistant, if I wanted to work on a saturday I'd get a job in Top Shop.

Back to square one then. Make the exams even easier:(
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes a special kind of person to willingly take control of 20+ children for 6 hours a day. I'd have been driven mad and probably homicidal within 20 minutes if I had to do it.

Those who slag off teacher should do what my friend did one. Volunteer to help at his kids school. You might have your eyes opened and your minds expanded...
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

speaking as a parent ...

YES i would send my child in at weekends

my daughters education is very important & if it helps keep the children up to date then i dont see what the problem is? apart from the disruption to the parents weekend:cool:
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as the weather gets better schools should open at the weekend to make up for all the time lost. I can't see the teachers objecting as they are dedicated:)
    How many pupils do you think would turn up?
    They seem to happen every winter these days.
    Blame the weather, then, not the schools or the local authorities. As you may have noticed, weather conditions both last winter and this one have been extremely unusual. If you're at all interested, here is the guidance to headteachers from my own local authority:

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=5924&p=0

You will note that it begins:
    Council Policy Statement

School Services will, as far as possible, and with due regard to the health, safety and welfare of both staff and pupils, continue to operate schools normally in order to minimise the impact of school closures on Community planning partners and the region’s economy. In allocating resources, keeping schools open/operating normally should be a formal priority for the Council in periods of significantly adverse weather.

In allocating resources, keeping schools open/operating normally should be a formal priority for the Council in periods of significantly adverse weather.

The decision to close a school is not taken on a whim and is made only when it seems absolutely necessary.

Anyway, this thread is now going round in circles, and has been doing so for some time.
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote:

We have been told that if the school is closed again, then we will lose summer holiday to make up for it. Which is fine if we actually weren't working when it was closed, but as I said earlier, we were either in school minus students, or set work to do at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    How many pupils do you think would turn up?

Blame the weather, then, not the schools or the local authorities. As you may have noticed, weather conditions both last winter and this one have been extremely unusual. If you're at all interested, here is the guidance to headteachers from my own local authority:

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=5924&p=0

You will note that it begins:

The decision to close a school is not taken on a whim and is made only when it seems absolutely necessary.

Anyway, this thread is now going round in circles, and has been doing so for some time.

I can understand the problems of schools that cover a large rural area, but it should surely be less of a problem for inner city schools
    darkmoth wrote: »
    We have been told that if the school is closed again, then we will lose summer holiday to make up for it.

Sounds like a good idea, but why wait till the summer, why not half terms or Easter:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like a good idea, but why wait till the summer, why not half terms or Easter:confused:

Probably because of the amount of marking and coursework stuff that goes on in those breaks. After all, teachers are expected to have less 'work' over the summer at the end of the academic year than during it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    speaking as a parent ...

YES i would send my child in at weekends

my daughters education is very important & if it helps keep the children up to date then i dont see what the problem is? apart from the disruption to the parents weekend:cool:

Well your a better parent than me!
    In our house weekends are for relaxation and fun. I can't think of anything more grim (from a childs perspectve) than school on a weekend. :eek:

Using some time out of the summer holidays isn't a bad idea though. 6 weeks is too long anyway.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does it really matter where the time is made up? I am not sure if we are talking primary or secondary schools here, but in primary kids start a year earlier now and have homework from the age of 4. A couple of days off due to bad weather isn't going to make a huge difference to their education.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Well your a better parent than me!
    In our house weekends are for relaxation and fun. I can't think of anything more grim (from a childs perspectve) than school on a weekend. :eek:

Me either. My six year old has homework each night during the week, they don't have much time as it is just to be kids and play, don't make them work weekends as well.
  • Options
    LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    Me either. My six year old has homework each night during the week, they don't have much time as it is just to be kids and play, don't make them work weekends as well.

EVERY NIGHT at the age of 6 & still in infant school:eek:

my 9yr old in year 4 of junior school doesnt even get that amount a week ... twice a week max 3 !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Denise wrote: »
    Does it really matter where the time is made up? I am not sure if we are talking primary or secondary schools here, but in primary kids start a year earlier now and have homework from the age of 4. A couple of days off due to bad weather isn't going to make a huge difference to their education.

The problem is that if we had a winter like 62/3 when we had snow and ice on footpaths for 3 months, our current rules would close schools down for months rather than just a few days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homework sucks full stop.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that if we had a winter like 62/3 when we had snow and ice on footpaths for 3 months, our current rules would close schools down for months rather than just a few days.
    So what are the current rules that apply to schools in your area? Do you know? Have you actually seen the policy documents? Have you discussed the rules with a headteacher or with your local authority education department? Or are you just making assumptions or exercising your imagination?
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpikey316_ wrote: »
    Bus companies can refuse to run the school bus in heavy snow, so in some schools this can mean the majority of pupils will be at home. It's not always namby pamby teachers causing the school closure.

We had to wait at the bus stop for an hour before we were allowed home in the 70s and just as we'd leave the damm bus appeared, like something from Harry Potter. That was in a village outside Newcastle and we had loads of snow. Anyway I thought buses were a school outcast and all parents drove their kids to school these days...;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    So what are the current rules that apply to schools in your area? Do you know? Have you actually seen the policy documents? Have you discussed the rules with a headteacher or with your local authority education department? Or are you just making assumptions or exercising your imagination?

Why would I need to do all that. I don't go to school and I have no kids who go to school.:)
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the school I work at is closed tomorrow for the second time in the ten years I've worked there.

Couldn't be happier, to be honest... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skazza wrote: »
    Well, the school I work at is closed tomorrow for the second time in the ten years I've worked there.

Couldn't be happier, to be honest... :D

The idea of a snow day is nice, but the reality is that it creates more work. It's a headache having school closures.
    I worry about the possibilities of teachers strikes (that will get some posters knickers in a twist!) when the cuts hit us.
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkmoth wrote: »
    The idea of a snow day is nice, but the reality is that it creates more work. It's a headache having school closures.

That's absolutely true, but what can be done when one gets the message that school is closed? I'll make up the time soon enough.