cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    From Attentional:

BBC One
    21:00 - Toast: 6.2m (25.3%)

Channel 4
    19:10 - Kirstie and Phil’s Embarrassing Bits: 1.6m (6.6%)

More4
    21:00 - Michael Jackson’s Secret Hollywood: 190,542 (0.8%)

Well deserved rating there for Toast.

That's a great rating for Toast, so many people seemed to really love it.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew - I think we can safely say it won its slot. A good 1.5m more than I expected.

Hope word of mouth causes a few more to catch it on iPlayer. It really was good enough to be in the genuinely "unmissable" category.

Tuesday 10.30pm, BBC HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Eastenders 9.6m / 38.65
    Toast 6.2m / 25.3%
    Celeb Mastermind 5.3m / 22%

Three Men Go To Scotland 2.6m / 10%
    Rob Brydon 1.9m / 7.7%

Corrie 8.6m / 32.1%
    Emmerdale 7.6m & 7.5m / 31.4% adn 29.9%
    Ad of the Year 3.2m / 12.7%

Butterflies 1.2m / 4.7%
    Terry and June 759,000 / 3.1%
    Some Mothers 679,000 / 2.6%
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good rating for Toast. I thought it could rate into the high 5's at a push due to the weak competition but 6.2m surpassed my expectations and it seems to have been well liked by people who watched it too. Strong 7-8pm ratings for BBC1 yesterday - Celebrity Mastermind's highest rating so far this series and EastEnders has held onto its audience well so far this week.

Ad of the Year rated poorly - I'm surprised it was that low after last year's 'Ad of...' edition had 4.5m without a Corrie lead-in. Looks like Corrie itself has returned to pre-tram crash levels - the 32% share (or 33% with HD) is low compared to recent weeks. Mixed results for C5's nostalgic programming yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dubsj wrote: »

Eastenders 9.6m / 38.65
    Toast 6.2m / 25.3%
    Celeb Mastermind 5.3m / 22%

Three Men Go To Scotland 2.6m / 10%
    Rob Brydon 1.9m / 7.7%

Corrie 8.6m / 32.1%
    Emmerdale 7.6m & 7.5m / 31.4% adn 29.9%
    Ad of the Year 3.2m / 12.7%

Butterflies 1.2m / 4.7%
    Terry and June 759,000 / 3.1%
    Some Mothers 679,000 / 2.6%
    Do you have the ratings for The Goodies on BBC2 dubs?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    Excellent for Toast-seemed to benefit from weak competition, but I'm still surprised it rated higher than R&C. It rounded off a great night for BBC1 with Mastermind pulling in a figure over 2m up on its Monday opener.

Apart from Emmerdale, a pretty lacklustre night for ITV1. As rzt says Corrie back down to its pre tram crash levels. I wasn't agreeing with people who said one character is making people turn off (Tracy Barlow), but it seems the returning/new viewers from the tram crash boost have been put off by her return. Hopefully the reveal of tonights
    attempted murder
    will generate some interest next week, because it seems to be a shocker. I thought AOTY would be nearer to 4m too considering the lead in. Maybe it's more a weekend show?

I can really see ITV1 struggling in January-a bizarre schedule where I don't agree where any of the 9pm programmes have been placed & barely any changes to the ailing DOI. They will be banking on DOI not falling any further and stuff like Primeval doing well.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good night for BBC1. Celebrity Mastermind probably secured a recommission for next Christmas with that figure.

ITV 8pm soap figures suggest DIY SOS may have performed well as well (5m would be a superb result for it) but I'm assuming that the ITV1 figures don't include HD.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good night for BBC1. Not so good for ITV, Corrie seems like its back down to normal levels.
  • Options
    EastiesRules!EastiesRules! Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I think Tracy's return put people off with all her OTTness. It backfired rather massively. Be interesting to see if they keep her on now.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Tracy's return put people off with all her OTTness. It backfired rather massively. Be interesting to see if they keep her on now.

You may be right. I 'returned' to Corrie over Xmas only to stop watching as soon as Tracy came back!
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great night for BBC1, especially if DIY SOS did get c5m which is possible. One assumes the 6.20-7 news will have got around 7m again and the 10.30 news probably did well with the Toast lead-in. So a very strong night really, considering ITV had 90 mins of soap and a heavily-trailed 9pm show.

Not bad for ITV really, considering it is Christmas. Those look decent numbers for the soap block, especially if not including HD.

Slight disappointment that Three Men didn't clear 3m again, as it did against the higher-rating EE/Coro St double on Monday. But in terms of retention, that's decent enough.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Thats an excellent number for Toast - it exploited weak opposition to finish well above my expectations. To be fair, I think the BBC have had a strong few days - probably all of their 9pm offerings for the past week will pass 6m in the officials. Going off previous years, there's usually some weak spot.

EE has had a good Christmas period too and has used the momentum to propel itself back ahead of Corrie. I think it might rate very well - comfortably over 10m - tomorrow night, despite it being a Saturday.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JC_GTA2010 wrote: »
    Just thinking, people thought with lower hollyoaks figures that it might get axed, but if anything it is getting higher ratings than shows later on. Like after 6 yesterday, hollyoaks and the simpsons got the highest ratings. Makes you think, if they are going to axe hollyoaks, they would need to think about axing other programmes too. So Hollyoaks IMO is in a very safe position, plus there is e4 first look, which adds to channel 4 figures. When you add them together it can easily be around 1.9 million which is good. Of course it might be just because it is christmas, but there has not been nothing decent on channel 4 this xmas i don't think.

C4 has much bigger things to worry about than tea-time at the moment. Hollyoaks is secure for another 12 months having recently signed a seven-figure sponsorship deal - and despite the low ratings of late, it's still doing the business in the 16-34 demographic and actually as far as target demographics go, it must be one of the few shows aimed at 16-34's to actually pretty well hit the mark.
  • Options
    JC_GTA2010JC_GTA2010 Posts: 2,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any HO figures thanks?
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    They were promoting Come Fly with Me on Breakfast this morning.

With an interview they made a point of stressing was recorded a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they realised that episode 2 would need a rather hefty cattle prod to coerce viewers to come back.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great numbers for Toast and a thoroughly well deserved win there. EastEnders performed strongly too.

Emmerdale did well (without HD) but Corrie is low sharewise. I should think EastEnders will suffer a slight dip from January onwards as the aftermath of its rather tough storyline plays out. For many, it might just be a little too depressing. The
    death of a baby
    occurred in my family about 5 years ago and the pain is still raw. For many of a more sensitive disposition this might be too much, especially to ring in the new year.

Good for Celebrity Mastermind. Caught it last night and thought it was quite entertaining, though the second round wasn't as interesting.

--

I've been thinking about whether or not The Biggest Loser will be a flop or a hit for ITV. Does anyone know off the top of their head what its opposition is?

The trailers are certainly painting it as "normal [but morbidly obese] people on a rollercoaster journey to [wedding of their dreams/life of their dreams/true confidence etc]" and this could well tap into the X Factor-esque audience keen to watch people on journeys of self discovery/achievement.

It'll depend on its opposition, I should think, but could possibly be a surprise reality format for 2011. That, or ITV will end up being the Biggest Loser itself at 9pm on Mondays for a couple of months ;)

While it's unsurprising Taggart's got a Tuesday 9pm slot, I did find it somewhat surprising that Kidnap & Ransom (which looks very good) is airing on Thursdays at 9pm. Seems bizarre scheduling to me.

Lots of interesting stuff on ITV coming up anyway.... other questions such as:

- Will Primeval do well? Pretty good trailer and promotion and a decent 7.00pm timeslot (something the superior Doctor Who is rarely afforded)... could it achieve 6m?
    - Will Above Suspicion perform? Again, decent trailer and stripped across 3 nights, beginning on Monday after a Corrie lead-in. Should do very well for episode 1, but will it continue?
    - Will The Secret Mediterranean defy the Tuesday flop zone? Trevor McDonald possibly doesn't have the same affection as he did, but it could surprise us and do well against Holby City.
    - Will Adrian Chiles have another flop on his hands with That Sunday Night Show? Not bad promotion there, but it's new water for ITV to be treading in.

Quite hard to call on a lot of them. Interesting times ahead, anyway!

--

Happy New Year my fellow ratings geeks! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . I wasn't agreeing with people who said one character is making people turn off (Tracy Barlow), but it seems the returning/new viewers from the tram crash boost have been put off by her return.

I don't really follow the soaps - despite the best efforts of my relatives and in-laws this Christmas - but I noticed in my paper today it says that
    "Tracy Barlow is found lying in a pool of blood" - so a short lived return??
    James J wrote: »
    I've been thinking about whether or not The Biggest Loser will be a flop or a hit for ITV. Does anyone know off the top of their head what its opposition is?

Don't see why this should be a flop at all, given how it will chime with so many at this time of year. And with a typical ITV couch potato/fitness DVD demographic, certainly.

I assume ITV will make this into an entertainment/reality/celeb driven/Heat magazine affair, whereas the BBC would probably have been all po-faced and serious about it - probably running it under the Panorama banner or something...

I think it could rate well, not that I endorse it as a format I particularly want to see on the box. It's up against Silent Witness I assume.
    James J wrote: »
    - Will Adrian Chiles have another flop on his hands with That Sunday Night Show? Not bad promotion there, but it's new water for ITV to be treading in.

This one has passed me by. Just Googled and read up on it. Gosh. A chat show, comedy and satirical news review rolled in to one - sounds like it will incorporate all the best bits of Parkinson, That Was The Week That Was, Spitting Image, Mock the Week and HIGNFY into one amazing show.

Should be quite something! :D

Can't wait to see this/its ratings - :D - can Chiles's CV cope with yet another flop on it, because everything else he's touched since joining ITV has been!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spotted this in the Daily Mail's Christmas TV guide - a list of (supposedly) the top 10 Christmas Specials of all time.

I have to say, it's dodgy as hell - there are loads more 19/20m+ audiences that should be in it - but interesting nevertheless.

I did not know that Mike Yarwood actually outrated the legendary M&W Christmas Show that followed him in 1977 - a quick Google suggests this is correct

1. EastEnders 30.15m (25/12/86)
    2. Mike Yarwood Christmas Show 28.10m (25/12/77)
    3. Morecambe & Wise Show 28.0m (25/12/77)
    4. Coronation St 26.93m (8/12/89) [Alan Bradley tram - hardly at Christmas though!]
    5. Coronation St 26m (25/12/87) [Hilda leaves - this was at Christmas though]
    6. Only Fools and Horses 24.35m (29/12/96) ["last ever" episode]
    7. EastEnders 24.30m (25/12/92)
    8. Film: Crocodile Dundee (BBC1) 21.75m (25/12/89)
    9. Only Fools and Horses 21.34m (25/12/01)
    10. Emmerdale 18.08m (30/12/93) [plane crash wipes out village]

The soap ratings will all include omnibus/repeat showings, so not entirely accurate.

Other I can think of that they missed out, from memory, include:

- One Foot in the Algarve 26/12/93 - 20.01m
    - Birds of a Feather 25/12/93 - 19.4m
    - Bread got 20m+ at least once on Christmas Day in the 80s
    - I think Just Good Friends got c20m in 1986 too (beating the ep of John Sullivan's other sitcom, OFAH, which aired earlier!)
    - I'm sure at least two of the Indiana Jones movies premiered on Christmas Day to 18m+ audiences in the 80s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    ITV 8pm soap figures suggest DIY SOS may have performed well as well (5m would be a superb result for it)
    Great night for BBC1, especially if DIY SOS did get c5m which is possible. One assumes the 6.20-7 news will have got around 7m again and the 10.30 news probably did well with the Toast lead-in.
    More overnights:
    18:20- BBC News: 6.90m
    18:45- BBC Regional News: 7.52m
    20:00- DIY SOS: 4.37m
    22:30- BBC News: 5.04m
    JC_GTA2010 wrote: »
    Any HO figures thanks?
    Hollyoaks: 1.14m (excluding C4+1)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    20:00- DIY SOS: 4.37m

OK, not brilliant then. But I guess they had little alternative.

It probably helped BBC2 out a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just spotted this in the Daily Mail's Christmas TV guide - a list of (supposedly) the top 10 Christmas Specials of all time.

I have to say, it's dodgy as hell - there are loads more 19/20m+ audiences that should be in it - but interesting nevertheless.

I did not know that Mike Yarwood actually outrated the legendary M&W Christmas Show that followed him in 1977 - a quick Google suggests this is correct

1. EastEnders 30.15m (25/12/86)
    2. Mike Yarwood Christmas Show 28.10m (25/12/77)
    3. Morecambe & Wise Show 28.0m (25/12/77)
    4. Coronation St 26.93m (8/12/89) [Alan Bradley tram - hardly at Christmas though!]
    5. Coronation St 26m (25/12/87) [Hilda leaves - this was at Christmas though]
    6. Only Fools and Horses 24.35m (29/12/96) ["last ever" episode]
    7. EastEnders 24.30m (25/12/92)
    8. Film: Crocodile Dundee (BBC1) 21.75m (25/12/89)
    9. Only Fools and Horses 21.34m (25/12/01)
    10. Emmerdale 18.08m (30/12/93) [plane crash wipes out village]

The soap ratings will all include omnibus/repeat showings, so not entirely accurate.

Other I can think of that they missed out, from memory, include:

- One Foot in the Algarve 26/12/93 - 20.01m
    - Birds of a Feather 25/12/93 - 19.4m
    - Bread got 20m+ at least once on Christmas Day in the 80s
    - I think Just Good Friends got c20m in 1986 too (beating the ep of John Sullivan's other sitcom, OFAH, which aired earlier!)
    - I'm sure at least two of the Indiana Jones movies premiered on Christmas Day to 18m+ audiences in the 80s.

Yes, everyone goes on about Eastenders 30 million audience but 10 million of that watched the omnibus and there's no way of telling how many of that 10million were also among the 20 million who watched on Christmas Day. That year Just Good Friends was indeed the highest rated programme of Christmas Day.

And everyone goes on about the massive audience for Morecambe And Wise in 1977 whilst missing the fact that Mike Yarwood was ahead of them in the ratings.

Totally agree with your coment on number 4. How the hell does 8th December qualify as Christmas? Moronic journalists! They never let facts or accuracy get in the way of a "good story".:mad:
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    More overnights:
    Hollyoaks: 1.14m (excluding C4+1)
    How did Alice in Wonderland do on C5 13:00-15:45 rzt? Many thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    How did Alice in Wonderland do on C5 13:00-15:45 rzt? Many thanks in advance.
    Alice in Wonderland: 583k (5.4%)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't see why this should be a flop at all, given how it will chime with so many at this time of year. And with a typical ITV couch potato/fitness DVD demographic, certainly.

I assume ITV will make this into an entertainment/reality/celeb driven/Heat magazine affair, whereas the BBC would probably have been all po-faced and serious about it - probably running it under the Panorama banner or something...

I think it could rate well, not that I endorse it as a format I particularly want to see on the box. It's up against Silent Witness I assume.

This one has passed me by. Just Googled and read up on it. Gosh. A chat show, comedy and satirical news review rolled in to one - sounds like it will incorporate all the best bits of Parkinson, That Was The Week That Was, Spitting Image, Mock the Week and HIGNFY into one amazing show.

Should be quite something! :D

Can't wait to see this/its ratings - :D - can Chiles's CV cope with yet another flop on it, because everything else he's touched since joining ITV has been!

I seem to recall Eamonn Holmes fronting a start-of-the-year diet show on BBC1 a few years back that flopped in the ratings. These sort of programmes have little appeal outside of people on a diet and not that much appeal even there.

There's no reason to suppose The Biggest Loser will fare any better than any of the other stuff ITV1 stick on Tuesdays and I don't believe ITV expect it to.

The Adrian Chiles show sounds very much like the Trevor McDonald programme that ran on Sunday nights a few years ago. That bombed. I reckon Adrian's show will too.
This discussion has been closed.