• Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey...."at least 4,000 people dead", which means the figure could rise even higher. Last night it was reported as "at least 1500". :(

Terrible tragedy and also Mount Everests worst.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,076
    Forum Member
    I'm aquainted with someone out there right now. He was going out there at Easter for 3 weeks and I had a bad feeling about it when he told me as I remembered that something else had happened in Everest last year that was pretty bad (pretty sure it was Avalanches) and now my horrible feeling has come true but worse.

I called his work place to see if they have heard from him and one of them has and he wasn't hurt and was ok but it does seem he is stuck in terms of getting out of the country and they haven't heard from him since. I think and hope he'll be able to find his way back alright though and or will get to the right places where he can get help.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,076
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Blimey...."at least 4,000 people dead", which means the figure could rise even higher. Last night it was reported as "at least 1500". :(

Terrible tragedy and also Mount Everests worst.

I think when the earthquake in Pakistan happened around 10 years ago, hundreds of thousands of people were killed including many of their army in the affected region.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The figure is continuing to rise. :(:(

More than 5000 now confirmed dead and Nepals Prime Minister has said that figure could double. Tragic reporting on this evenings Channel 4 news.

http://www.channel4.com/news/nepal-earthquake-death-toll-10000-kathmandu-everest

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/apr/28/nepal-earthquake-death-toll-climbs-past-4000-with-many-more-missing-rolling-report
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,428
    Forum Member
    The UK's Disasters Emergency Committee has now made an appeal for donations to help with the relief effort for Nepal and the website link is below:

http://www.dec.org.uk
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    It's a brutal reminder of just how powerful nature is.

They really didn't stand a chance and it could happen again :(.
  • Options
    My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is awful nature strikes again and thousands of innocents suffer, but I think I have compassion fatigue I have felt more upset by past disasters
    I hope much is being done go help those affected
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is awful nature strikes again and thousands of innocents suffer, but I think I have compassion fatigue I have felt more upset by past disasters
    I hope much is being done go help those affected
    True, there has been a lot lately but Nepal is only a small country and relatively poor ranking at 145th out of 187 on the Human Development Index.

The reporting on Channel 4 news this evening was truly distressing. From "at least 1500 dead" on Monday to "more than 5000" in the space of 24 hours.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

I went to a very interesting lecture a few years ago about natural disasters. They are often exacerbated by the fact that the types of processes that cause them also create conditions to attract humans. As a result, populations end up concentrated in the worst possible areas.
    Apparently, the biggest disaster waiting to happen is an earthquake in Istanbul. It will happen soon, the building codes aren't designed to cope with it, and there are 15m people in the firing line.
  • Options
    My usernamesMy usernames Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't heard of the impending threat to Turkey before. The threat that worries me is the big volcano under Yellowstone national park in America which is due for a massive eruption . That will have catastrophic global consequences
    Instanbul is positioned so that any thing that happens there will affect at least 2 continents, it will be terrible, I'm going to do some internet research and find out more
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

Thanks. So sad 😔

Have the unaccounted numbers improved ?
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "UK public respond to DEC Nepal Earthquake Appeal. The British public has donated over £14m to the DEC Nepal Earthquake Appeal, matched by another £5m by the government, a day after it was launched.

Aid has begun to reach remote regions near the epicentre of the devastating earthquake.

The new fundraising effort will help increase efforts to reach more of the estimated eight million people affected.

Many have had their homes damaged or destroyed and are in desperate need of food, water, shelter and medical care
    ."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32509705

Heartened to read that aid is reaching some regions.
  • Options
    lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lavender50 wrote: »
    this is very sad.
    My daughter was a volunteer in Kathmandu a few years ago. she worked in a childrens centre, It was very humbling to see her photos of happy children , when they had so little.
    She is devastated, desperately trying to find out any news of the children, thier families , teachers, and volunteers.
    Very upsetting, that so many have lost thier lives and many without shelter.Very distressing scenes

sadly we found out one of the children did die in the earthquake. A little boy. my daughter is heartbroken.he is in a lot of her photos.
    not everyone is accounted for yet, very depressing:(
    glad the disaster fund is doing well. we have donated, and joined some local Nepalese people at a charity event last night, in Edinburgh
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK's Disasters Emergency Committee has now made an appeal for donations to help with the relief effort for Nepal and the website link is below:

http://www.dec.org.uk

The might raise a couple of £million.

But why isn't some of the £11 billion foreign aid going there?
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    The might raise a couple of £million.

But why isn't some of the £11 billion foreign aid going there?

Too busy sending to corrupt governments in Africa.
  • Options
    Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    It's hardly surprising that this region is subject to earthquakes.

The Indian Plate moves at a rate of about 20 centimeters a year. It was the collision of the Indian Plate with the Eurasian landmass that created the Tibetan Plain and raised the Himalayas in the first place. It's still moving north. Earthquakes are inevitable now and in the future.

All we can do is help to relieve the suffering of these poor people. The Aid Agencies do the best they can but are sometimes hamstrung by circumstances beyond their control.

What sometimes niggles me is that, while the Aid Agencies struggle to clear all sorts of bureaucratic hurdles in order to reach the affected areas, journalists have no difficulty at all. TV cameras are place, with journos always ask how long it will take for aid to arrive long before doctors can even get into the country.

Perhaps one way would be for the doctors to be issued with press passes. One of those seems to by-pass all obstacles.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about this to lift your hearts https://uk.news.yahoo.com/baby-pulled-safely-from-under-rubble-in-nepal-193702456.html#8E4L4fW

"Twenty-two hours after the massive earthquake that demolished buildings and killed more than 5,000 people in Nepal, a 4-month-old boy was rescued from the rubble. The boy, named Sonit Awal, was buried under the rubble of his family’s house in Bhaktapur, near Kathmandu, when it collapsed during Saturday’s earthquake. According to a story in local newspaper Kathmandu Today, translated by the Guardian, rescuers tried until midnight to extract the baby from bricks and other debris that had fallen on him during the quake, but were unsuccessful. The next morning, after the child’s father said he heard the baby crying throughout the night, the rescue team returned, and by 10 am on Sunday, they finally pulled the child to safety. Sonit Awal was alive and, the paper reported, found free of injuries after a visit to Bhaktapur hospital."

That bit of good news has made my day :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    How about this to lift your hearts https://uk.news.yahoo.com/baby-pulled-safely-from-under-rubble-in-nepal-193702456.html#8E4L4fW

"Twenty-two hours after the massive earthquake that demolished buildings and killed more than 5,000 people in Nepal, a 4-month-old boy was rescued from the rubble. The boy, named Sonit Awal, was buried under the rubble of his family’s house in Bhaktapur, near Kathmandu, when it collapsed during Saturday’s earthquake. According to a story in local newspaper Kathmandu Today, translated by the Guardian, rescuers tried until midnight to extract the baby from bricks and other debris that had fallen on him during the quake, but were unsuccessful. The next morning, after the child’s father said he heard the baby crying throughout the night, the rescue team returned, and by 10 am on Sunday, they finally pulled the child to safety. Sonit Awal was alive and, the paper reported, found free of injuries after a visit to Bhaktapur hospital."

That bit of good news has made my day :)
    Brilliant. :)

And as amazing as that is it's still possible for small miracles like this. Let's not give up hope for another.