Options

Row over prisoners at call centre

Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
Forum Member
This just came up on the Welsh News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19184054

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug/08/prisoners-call-centre-fired-staff

"Row over prisoners at call centre.

A row breaks out over prisoners being employed by a call centre, which a union claims is exploitation."

So, who's telling the truth?

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    This just came up on the Welsh News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-19184054

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug/08/prisoners-call-centre-fired-staff

"Row over prisoners at call centre.

A row breaks out over prisoners being employed by a call centre, which a union claims is exploitation."

So, who's telling the truth?

The Prison Service has provided a comprehensive explanation of the procedure.

But a Prison Service spokesperson said: "Prison Service rules are very clear: prisoners employed by outside companies cannot replace existing staff. They can only fill genuinely vacant posts.

"Becoming Green have made it clear that the prisoners they employ are filling genuinely vacant posts and that no serving members of staff have been made redundant to make way for prisoners."
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

We work in partnership with HM Prison Services and comply fully to processes and procedures set out by government legislation”

Becoming Green

The service said the scheme employing workers at Becoming Green started in November 2011, when the company employed about 100 people.

In a statement it outlined:

The company employs more than 190 people, of which 23 are prisoners.
    For the first 40 days, while training, prisoners are paid £15 a week food allowance.
    After that, they are paid the minimum wage until released, but 40% of earnings go to a victims' fund.
    If prisoners are given a job on release, they would get the standard pay rate which is about £8 an hour, the service said.

The spokesman added: "It is crucial that prisoners have the opportunity to learn transferable employment skills to reduce the chances of reoffending, and therefore turning them away from crime."
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    The company employs more than 190 people, of which 23 are prisoners.
    For the first 40 days, while training, prisoners are paid £15 a week food allowance.
    After that, they are paid the minimum wage until released, but 40% of earnings go to a victims' fund.
    If prisoners are given a job on release, they would get the standard pay rate which is about £8 an hour, the service said.

The spokesman added: "It is crucial that prisoners have the opportunity to learn transferable employment skills to reduce the chances of reoffending, and therefore turning them away from crime."[/I]

In other words, they get a £2 an hour saving for as many years as they want on staff.

The 'haven't taken anyone's job' line is also erroneous,with 3 million unemployed, they certainly have taken jobs that others could have done, obviously they would have wanted full pay though, and probably holidays and sick pay.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    In other words, they get a £2 an hour saving for as many years as they want on staff.

The 'haven't taken anyone's job' line is also erroneous,with 3 million unemployed, they certainly have taken jobs that others could have done, obviously they would have wanted full pay though, and probably holidays and sick pay.

plus the staff they gotten rid of saw that it was down to the company wanting un-paid labour
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So.. prisoners get a list of phone numbers & addresses for people who can afford to blow £10-15k on some roof panels. Plus ask when would it be convenient/inconvenient to call/do the work. And maybe some 'elf & safety questions.. like if there's any lead on the roof..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So.. prisoners get a list of phone numbers & addresses for people who can afford to blow £10-15k on some roof panels. Plus ask when would it be convenient/inconvenient to call/do the work. And maybe some 'elf & safety questions.. like if there's any lead on the roof..

Also, most people are rude when they phone up call centres.
    They might not be so rude when they might think they are talking to Dave, who's about to be released from a 20 stretch for murder. Oh, and as you say, Dave's got their phone number and address too.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    personally i would be annoyed if i were a competitor of a business that was using prison labour or an employee of such a company.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of those "no win" situations. Stop the scheme and you can no longer pretend that we have any interest in rehabilitating prisoners to be better members of society. Continue the scheme and you have to accept they are filling places that could go to the millions of unemployed people.

The important point is they are actually being paid, which sets this apart from the far worse Work Fare scheme which really is about exploiting the employed and unemployed on the cheap no matter how much the Government tries to pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

The figures here are peanuts compared with the 35,000+ IT workers brought in by the likes of Tata, Infosys and the other big Indian bodyshopping companies (some 80% of IT workers brought in under Tier 2 visas come from Indian companies) - They to are under the do not replace a British workers and I've heard them do exactly that, with the poor person being replaced being told to train the worker before being replaced :mad:

That said when a prisoner finishes their sentence they will need a job outside the criminal world - so it makes perfect sense for them to be given that opportunity.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its one of those 'getting outraged whatever prisoners do' things, isn't it?

If they don't work - outrageous!

If they work - outrageous!

If something else happens, tell me what it is and I'll say 'outrageous!'
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I appreciate the rehabilitation side of this if these new vacancies are not being advertised and made available to those not staying at HM's pleasure then this practice should be stopped. The company should also not benefit financially from employing prisoners at rates less than they would have to pay others though that doesn't mean prisoners should receive the full hourly rate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    This is one of those "no win" situations. Stop the scheme and you can no longer pretend that we have any interest in rehabilitating prisoners to be better members of society.

I'd think it'd be easier to show prisoners they were being rehabilitated if they were being paid the normal market rate. Otherwise it just looks like they're being exploited.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The figures here are peanuts compared with the 35,000+ IT workers brought in by the likes of Tata, Infosys and the other big Indian bodyshopping companies (some 80% of IT workers brought in under Tier 2 visas come from Indian companies) - They to are under the do not replace a British workers and I've heard them do exactly that, with the poor person being replaced being told to train the worker before being replaced :mad:

That said when a prisoner finishes their sentence they will need a job outside the criminal world - so it makes perfect sense for them to be given that opportunity.

A practice that should be stopped by law with massive financial penalties for those found to be involved in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

This has happened to me. Twice.
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Its one of those 'getting outraged whatever prisoners do' things, isn't it?

If they don't work - outrageous!

If they work - outrageous!

If something else happens, tell me what it is and I'll say 'outrageous!'
    No, it's simply because most normal folk want scum in prison to be punished. Yet what we actually get is the opposite. Until we return to proper punishment, the public will never be happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    No, it's simply because most normal folk want scum in prison to be punished. Yet what we actually get is the opposite. Until we return to proper punishment, the public will never be happy.

What do you think proper punishment is? Working in a call-centre could be considered punishment.

Personally I think it should be forced education. Enter prison unable to read, write or do basic arithmetic, stay until you can. Longer sentences allow more time for more useful training. Prisoners may exit able to do more useful things than crime.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's nothing to do with that at all.

What do you want? The lash?

If prisoners don't work people become outraged at that too. People like to moan for the sake of hearing their own voices.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why are prisoners 'scum' ?

And what on earth do you mean by a 'proper punishment' ? Water boarding ? Death ?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Perhaps we should hang them all as soon as they're inside?

Or death by a thousand cuts maybe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    A practice that should be stopped by law with massive financial penalties for those found to be involved in it.

It is actually - but the change of law is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard - for a time Labour allowed this to happen to freelancers but said it was illegal for perm staff (hence the use of the word 'worker' and not 'employee') - they changed the rules just before the election - which was a bit late because by then they had managed to annoy a good chunk of the freelance working population.
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might not be so rude when they might think they are talking to Dave, who's about to be released from a 20 stretch for murder. Oh, and as you say, Dave's got their phone number and address too.

Actually what would happen if one of these prisoners turned up on one of the customers doorsteps that they took a dislike to and beat them up or worse put a knife in them?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Are they?

If I want to be rude to a call center - I usually ask for the supervisor - it is not the fault of the poor person who answers that their employer has such great difficulty arranging a drunken party in a brewery.

(But then I have worked in a call center - never again)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they?

If I want to be rude to a call center - I usually ask for the supervisor - it is not the fault of the poor person who answers that their employer has such great difficulty arranging a drunken party in a brewery.

(But then I have worked in a call center - never again)

Many call centres are now very resistance to put customers onto a supervisor so not to bother them, they tell you all sorts of rubbish and lies to avoid doing so, sometimes you will only get a supervisor if you really push for it.

And what would happen if one of these prisoners did turn up on one of the customers doorsteps because they had time on the phone to take a dislike to them, and beat them up or worse put a knife in them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    And what would happen if one of these prisoners did turn up on one of the customers doorsteps because they had time on the phone to take a dislike to them, and beat them up or worse put a knife in them?

They'd get taken back to the call centre.. I mean prison I guess. Time added for bad behaviour and probably fined for losing a customer to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Net Nut wrote: »
    Many call centres are now very resistance to put customers onto a supervisor so not to bother them, they tell you all sorts of rubbish and lies to avoid doing so, sometimes you will only get a supervisor if you really push for it.

Just be bloody minded. It works eventually.

I doubt seriously that they would put someone of was violent in such a situation. Further in the event that was to happen the prisoner would find himself back behind bars - and ending up with time added onto their time in gaol for the crime.

In addition it is likely that they would be doing this during their sentence which would mean being transported back to gaol after their shift - not exactly giving them a chance to visit some customer and do the deed is it.?

Answer this - how many people do you think are in our prisons because they turned to crime for the lack of an alternative? How many return to crime for the same reason - because people judge them for what they do and seem to forget that once they have served their time - they have paid their debt to society.

Prison has three jobs: To punish, to protect society and to rehabilitate. It is the third to which this is aimed - giving prisoners an experience that can mean they do have an alternative to a life of crime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Answer this - how many people do you think are in our prisons because they turned to crime for the lack of an alternative? How many return to crime for the same reason - because people judge them for what they do and seem to forget that once they have served their time - they have paid their debt to society

Your absolutely right to point this out and I agree with you on it ,but it just worries me that sooner or later one of those real loony types will slip through the net like they are so good at doing and hold a grudge to be settled when they are released next time.