thebestbitthebestbit Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    When they axed Dream Team.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bspks wrote: »
    The fact that it was showing cheap US (and Australian) imports that the 4 main channels were mostly not interested in is exactly what made it refreshing and a real alternative to the programming on those channels.
    No it didn't. It made Sky 1 look like a joke of a channel that most people weren't interested in. It is now a much more respected and popular channel.
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thebestbit wrote: »
    When they axed Dream Team.

Agreed. An excellent show, home grown and way better than the rubbish they have now.

They seem to target everything from 6 year olds to 80 year olds which makes it all rubbish. Rarely watch Sky1 now, usually only watch the Simpons of there is nothing else on.

Dream Team, and Mile High were great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emmetmcl wrote: »
    Agreed. An excellent show, home grown and way better than the rubbish they have now.

They seem to target everything from 6 year olds to 80 year olds which makes it all rubbish. Rarely watch Sky1 now, usually only watch the Simpons of there is nothing else on.

Dream Team, and Mile High were great.
    They were rubbish. You certainly have awful taste in TV shows if you think Mile High and Dream Team was better than Mad Dogs, Spy and Stella.
  • Options
    ZiQiZiQi Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    They were rubbish. You certainly have awful taste in TV shows if you think Mile High and Dream Team was better than Mad Dogs, Spy and Stella.

Nearly all Sky 1 UK shows are awful.

Only ones I have enjoyed has been Idiot Abroad and a few of the Little Crackers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No it didn't. It made Sky 1 look like a joke of a channel that most people weren't interested in. It is now a much more respected and popular channel.

Is it?

I think the channel is a Joke now, not respected at all, much preferred back in late 80s / early 90s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ZiQi wrote: »
    Is it?

I think the channel is a Joke now, not respected at all, much preferred back in late 80s / early 90s.
    And you are in the minority. Viewing figures prove that people prefer to watch Sky 1 now than back in the days when they were just showing awful imports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And you are in the minority. Viewing figures prove that people prefer to watch Sky 1 now than back in the days when they were just showing awful imports.

LOL

Fewer people had multi-television back then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL

Fewer people had multi-television back then.
    And why was that? The only selling point of Sky 1 was The Simpsons as everything else was crap. Even 10 years ago when plenty of people had multichannel television Sky 1 was only watched when it poached US shows from other channels. Now it's homegrown programmes are a great success and certainly more popular than the poor efforts like Dream Team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And why was that? The only selling point of Sky 1 was The Simpsons as everything else was crap. Even 10 years ago when plenty of people had multichannel television Sky 1 was only watched when it poached US shows from other channels. Now it's homegrown programmes are a great success and certainly more popular than the poor efforts like Dream Team.

A lot of people were snobby back then and didn't want a dish.

People looked down at those with a dish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people were snobby back then and didn't want a dish.

People looked down at those with a dish.
    Oh dear the excuses. Most that had satellite were only interested in movies and sport because most of the entertainment channels were crap including Sky 1.
  • Options
    Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Essentially, what was shown on one channel is now shown across three - more if you include Sky Arts 1 and 2.

In the past we had Sky One (first run), Sky Two (Repeats and second run) and Sky Three (Repeats of repeats).

Sky Two is virtually lost in EPG to HD viewers, and Sky Three has become Pick TV and more of a taster channel for non-subscribers.

Throughout the week my Sky viewing consist of shows from Sky1, Atlantic, Living and Arts. They are just outputs for my choice of programme, be they Hawaii Five-O, The Following, Bones, or A Young Doctor's Notebook.

I've have no bone to pick with Sky over these channels or one channel in particular.

Every one of the most watched channels, be they from Sky, BBC, ITV , C4, or C5 will have their good or bad points.

They provide you with a choice. Don't watch if you feel you don't have a choice.
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess sky dont care an awful lot about sky 1 or they would take steps to make it better than .It is.I would think there are some simple ways to make
    it more watchable eg commission more home grown uk shows switch some top us shows from atlantic living or fox broadcast some better movies
    including premiers on sky 1 plus show some top sport now and again eg football tennis rugby golf cricket darts etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear the excuses. Most that had satellite were only interested in movies and sport because most of the entertainment channels were crap including Sky 1.

It's true though.

We had satellite before Astra launched, so had a massive dish in the garden.

When Astra launched, people thought having a dish was down-market, knew of a lot of people looking down on those with dishes, was very common back then.
  • Options
    emmetmclemmetmcl Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I will grant you that, Mile High was indeed trash TV, though quite entertaining. Dream Team was a quality program though.

Mad Dogs is good, probably the best of what Sky1 currently offers. I gave Trollied and Mount Pleasent a try but both seemed more like Friday night BBC One "comedies." that is, crap

I think the change began to occur when they changed from Sky One to Sky1, around 2008 I think, possibly under Richard Wolfe?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disagree from what I've seen. Wish I had Sky...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the days when they copied NBC must see thursdays, with Friends and Er, and had little know american comedies such as The Nanny. They also had X-files, and 90210, as well as there drama at 10 promo, with some really low rent dramas, such as Silk Stalkings. Those were the days.
  • Options
    BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, we're all entitled to our own opinion.
    For instance, I have always hated The Simpsons, but it was one of their most popular programmes.
    For me, personally, I loved Sky Channel that morphed into Sky One. I had to wait for one of the first Amstrad satellite receivers to come in and be installed. I then had to register as a "Sky Pioneer" and wait for the Sky engineer to come and fit my first Videocrypt decoder, but it was all worth it to be able to watch the, then pioneering, Sky One programmes. Over the last few years, in my opinion, it's just got to be more and more "mainstream" boring programmes.
    I got so I was watching about 1 show a month on it, and not many more on other pay channels.
    Hence, last year, after 22 years, I axed it. I now enjoy, what you would consider inferior, programmes on the CBS channels, Men & Movies, More>Movies, Horror etc. in their place.
    I do miss, however, a good (cheap imported) comedy though, although Taxi is due to be rerun on CBS Drama from next month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bspks wrote: »
    Well, we're all entitled to our own opinion.
    For instance, I have always hated The Simpsons, but it was one of their most popular programmes.
    For me, personally, I loved Sky Channel that morphed into Sky One. I had to wait for one of the first Amstrad satellite receivers to come in and be installed. I then had to register as a "Sky Pioneer" and wait for the Sky engineer to come and fit my first Videocrypt decoder, but it was all worth it to be able to watch the, then pioneering, Sky One programmes. Over the last few years, in my opinion, it's just got to be more and more "mainstream" boring programmes.
    I got so I was watching about 1 show a month on it, and not many more on other pay channels.
    Hence, last year, after 22 years, I axed it. I now enjoy, what you would consider inferior, programmes on the CBS channels, Men & Movies, More>Movies, Horror etc. in their place.
    I do miss, however, a good (cheap imported) comedy though, although Taxi is due to be rerun on CBS Drama from next month.

LOL I was a Sky pioneer too.

However never had an Amstrad box, in fact I've never let an Amstrad product in my house, having being an Amstrad Authorized Dealer and Repair Centre, knew to avoid them.

We had large motorised system a few years before the Astra 1 launch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had friends who raved about the soap. And in those days there was very little choice. It would be interesting to know what motivated people to stay with Sky, or what put the off -
    - Sky 1
    - Sports
    - Movies
    - foreign cultural channels
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have never really tuned into Sky 1, for me it is too much about transatlantic premiers and I have never felt the urge to watch a series on there. There are other Sky channels like the Arts channel I would watch but not that one.