Would you have voted differently if we had PR?

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Would you have voted differently if we had PR?

Would you have voted differently if we had PR? 67 votes

Yes
29% 20 votes
No
70% 47 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never tactically voted in my life - so no
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say I'd be far more likely to vote for one of the smaller parties
  • Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't vote tactically and my vote went to a party that didn't have a chance of winning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so, although that's probably just because my vote coincided with the party I would have otherwise voted tactically for under FPTP.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't vote tactically and my vote went to a party that didn't have a chance of winning.
    Never tactically voted in my life - so no

I wouldn't specifcally call it voting tactically, for many people they just don't want to place a 'wasted vote' under FPTP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I voted tactically/for my next favoured party because the party I would have voted for had no chance of winning in my constituency.
  • Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it voting tactically, for many people they just don't want to place a 'wasted vote' under FPTP.

I don't consider my vote wasted at all, it puts pressure on the two big parties to listen to the voice of the smaller parties if the're going to be taking votes away from them, especially, like in my constituency where there were two parties with a reasonable chance of winning. I did have someone from one of those parties phone me up trying to get my vote and then insulted and patronised me by telling me I was simply giving their rivals a vote. The'd have been far more likely to get my vote if they instead tried to persuade me of the things they are in agreement with my party about and how they would push them if they got into power. Hopefully this will be a lesson to them, especially seeing they ended up losing.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would of voted greens but instead I foolishly tried to stop libdem losing a seat to the tories.
  • lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I wouldn't specifcally call it voting tactically, for many people they just don't want to place a 'wasted vote' under FPTP.

id like the system we have in the Scottish Parliament, you can vote for a constituency mp, and then you select a party from a list vote, this is a list of the big parties and the smaller parties, and independents etc. i often select a smaller party from the list vote.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I feel I am a Liberal at heart, but have never voted for them as they stand no chance in my area.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    I would of voted greens but instead I foolishly tried to stop libdem losing a seat to the tories.

Me too.
  • bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not this time, but in previous years yes.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I would have voted (probably) rather than abstaining.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I wouldn't. I live in a safe seat of someone who I don't vote for so I've always voted for for who I really wanted.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Nope. Having spent the entire new labour years voting Lib Dems I was only too aware of the limitations of an FTP system, and had become quite impervious to the frustrations it can bring. This time I was determined to vote for UKIP even if the competion was tight for the three way marginal (or 4 way now UKIP are here) I live in.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'd still vote Libdem.
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Yes, I wouldn't have spoilt my ballot with a demand for PR.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends as I would vote against the party that introduced PR
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    No. I always have voted for the party of my choice even if I know they don't stand a chance in the constituency I live.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I voted for the local MP and party that I wanted to win.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would.

I voted UKIP as a protest and in the knowledge that it would make absolutely no impact whatsoever in my constituency other than increasing their national vote by 1. If we'd had PR then I would probably have voted LibDem.

I would much prefer STV, however, so I can vote in order of preference and have several MPs.