Rylan was great fun short term, but has destroyed the show's credibility long term

Comments

• Moomin STFCMoomin STFC Posts: 4,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedward, not Rylan ruined the X factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I agree that the joke acts create short term headlines but at the expense of long term credibility. Shame producers feel that it isn't sufficient to choose 12 really talented acts and that we need clowns to stay interested. They might be surprised to find that real singing talent is more entertaining than the clowning around.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he any idea what an idiot he looks with those enormous teeth?
    I can smell the jealousy.
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    patricia50 wrote: »
    No one could be worse than Jedward.

Who have gone on to release 3 studio albums, Eurovision twice, loads of concert dates, made their own music videos, touring UK & Australia this year.

They so could have gone the easy route of being reality TV fodder but instead they have stuck with music as their centre with some TV work on the side.

Jedward in concert this July:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o77sw-6xtb4
  • FatfeatheryowlFatfeatheryowl Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a difficult balance for them. On the one hand they need "credible" ( though I despise the word and its faux cool connotations ) people to be successful and sell the dream of going from humdrum life to superstardom - hence the opening sequence of this series of 1D in Leicester Square and their auditions three years ago - and actually entertaining folk on a Saturday night. Err too far to the serious and "credible" and you end up with Fame Academy or the Voice and that doesn't draw an audience to sell ads to and remember ITV is a business.

I doubt there's a right answer to satisfy everyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member

Even rylan knows he looks a plonker with the teeth!
    He was fame hungry and was happy to be the but of all the jokes during his X Factor stint as it got him to where he wanted to be in the public eye with a good few spondoolies in the bank.. he said it was all about the music for him, and conned all his supporters into voting for him, when reality was he knew he had no future in music... but hey shows his intelligence is higher than i imagined as he does come across as below average, (which is the bracket i pop myself in)
    He seems a hard worker nobody can deny that, so fair play to him, i personally will never ever agree that The X Factor was right for him, as i am of the believing it should be a singing competition not a TV show.. (which i understand is a contradiction as it is on TV..) anyway Stacey you are without doubt his biggest most loyal fan.. (deluded) .... which Novelty act you cheering for this year....? Abi?
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The funny thing is that as much as everyone slates him, he has probably done the best for himself out of all of last years finalists.
    You might be right there for the time being lol :p
    I really hope there is'nt going to be one. Rylan was just pathetic last year which turned a lot of viewers away from the programme.
    I know. It was like Wagner & Jedward, but worse!!!! It pissed me off how many good people was kicked out over him :\
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He may have done well for himself, but should never have been allowed in what is supposed to be a singing contest. Some really good singers lost out because of him.
    Forum Member
    River_Tam wrote: »
    Who have gone on to release 3 studio albums, Eurovision twice, loads of concert dates, made their own music videos, touring UK & Australia this year.

They so could have gone the easy route of being reality TV fodder but instead they have stuck with music as their centre with some TV work on the side.

Jedward in concert this July:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o77sw-6xtb4

That is a fair point, and there was a target audience for them, not sure what Rylans was?
    And they hold a tune far better than Rylan

my daughter loved Jedward not too sure if she still does.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a lot of fun last year but realistically better singers (with charisma) should've been there. But I prefer Rylan (for the fun factor) more than boring singers with good voices but no charisma.
    I think the show's credibility was ruined long before Rylan came - Wagner, Jedward, Cher Lloyd, Katie Waissel, Same Difference, Chico to name a few
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a singing contest, and not a fun contsst. Rylan was just a pathetic joke of a contestant and should never have been accepted into the contest in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a singing contest, and not a fun contsst. Rylan was just a pathetic joke of a contestant and should never have been accepted into the contest in the first place.

Rylan is hilarious IMO but I know he annoys MANY people on here. It's a singing contest for sure but it's also an entertainment show (and some people will find Rylan entertaining). I certainly don't want bland, dreary singers on the show that bores the pants out of me and I'm sure many of you don't want joke acts like Rylan on there too but that's life!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that is the case you may just as well scrap X Factor, and just have BGT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that is the case you may just as well scrap X Factor, and just have BGT.

X Factor is fading anyway and has become a bit of joke tbh
    There were so many times when great singers don't get through live shows when they should have done and let average singers go through instead (judges making dumb decisions). The amount of times that happened absolutely annoyed me but the show goes on :(
    Forum Member
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    X Factor is fading anyway and has become a bit of joke tbh
    There were so many times when great singers don't get through live shows when they should have done and let average singers go through instead (judges making dumb decisions). The amount of times that happened absolutely annoyed me but the show goes on :(

Not sure for how much longer if Simon demands too much money during negotiations with ITV.. cos viewing figures are getting worse and worse.. He might have to eat humble pie during his requests, as i feel ITV are now in the driving seat unlike before.. And Simon Cowell does not strike me as someone who will take too kindly to being told what the case is...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,550
    Forum Member

I doubt anyone is jealous....I love Rylan but those choppers in his mouth make him look like Wallace and Grommit!!! :D
    :D:D:D:D like these teeth in this little green face here:D:D:D
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure for how much longer if Simon demands too much money during negotiations with ITV.. cos viewing figures are getting worse and worse.. He might have to eat humble pie during his requests, as i feel ITV are now in the driving seat unlike before.. And Simon Cowell does not strike me as someone who will take too kindly to being told what the case is...

But he doesn't have anywhere to realistically take the show to the same audience. And without X Factor he doesn't have what is still the biggest platform on TV to promote his own acts.

His only realistic option would probably be Channel 5 but the figures will be down to 4m on there.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even rylan knows he looks a plonker with the teeth!
    He was fame hungry and was happy to be the but of all the jokes during his X Factor stint as it got him to where he wanted to be in the public eye with a good few spondoolies in the bank.. he said it was all about the music for him, and conned all his supporters into voting for him, when reality was he knew he had no future in music... but hey shows his intelligence is higher than i imagined as he does come across as below average, (which is the bracket i pop myself in)
    He seems a hard worker nobody can deny that, so fair play to him, i personally will never ever agree that The X Factor was right for him, as i am of the believing it should be a singing competition not a TV show.. (which i understand is a contradiction as it is on TV..) anyway Stacey you are without doubt his biggest most loyal fan.. (deluded) .... which Novelty act you cheering for this year....? Abi?
    The thing is; he is actually very into music and this will be proven by the end of this year hopefully. ;) He got into CBB, BBBOTS and many other different shows that he was offered to go on; which sensibly he's taken the chance of and become much more successful overall than any acts from last series, so he's already won. He hasn't crossed music off his list at all though, he loves it but right now he's doing his dream job which is amazing. It will come, just give it time. :D

I'm all about Abi this year... She's far from novelty. The most talented contestant of the series by far.
    Judo wrote: »
    I doubt anyone is jealous....I love Rylan but those choppers in his mouth make him look like Wallace and Grommit!!! :D
    :D:D:D:D like these teeth in this little green face here:D:D:D
    He looks gorgeous. I think a lot of people would secretly LOVE to have teeth as great looking as his despite some of the comments made.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was a lot of fun last year but realistically better singers (with charisma) should've been there. But I prefer Rylan (for the fun factor) more than boring singers with good voices but no charisma.
    I think the show's credibility was ruined long before Rylan came - Wagner, Jedward, Cher Lloyd, Katie Waissel, Same Difference, Chico to name a few

How is Cher Lloyd a dent to credibility? She's actually successful for the right reasons.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    True, and I wasnt really a fan.
    Also Chico and SD could carry a tune better than Rylan.
  • gazzatheredgazzathered Posts: 158
    Forum Member

Erm no you cant. So a sign of being successful is to have teeth that are far to big for your mouth? Id rather be poor thanks.
  • big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rylan is hilarious IMO but I know he annoys MANY people on here. It's a singing contest for sure but it's also an entertainment show (and some people will find Rylan entertaining). I certainly don't want bland, dreary singers on the show that bores the pants out of me and I'm sure many of you don't want joke acts like Rylan on there too but that's life!!

The question is why can't we have talented singers that are actually entertaining to watch? All of last years talented singers were made really boring all so that Rylan could stand out I think.
  • FatfeatheryowlFatfeatheryowl Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question is why can't we have talented singers that are actually entertaining to watch? All of last years talented singers were made really boring all so that Rylan could stand out I think.

Talented singers that are entertaining to watch are rare beasts; it's the XFactor, and it's gold dust.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets be honest very few people that have ever taken part in the x factor have star quality with just one or two exceptions (Alex and Leona). As for Rylan, so many people did'nt bother watching once they started putting that clown through. It was just farcical.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    We need to stop talking about him tbh........the more attention he gets, the more his big head will grow, just like those big teeth of his!!!!!:D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes: