Options

Any West Wing Fans out there?

Comments

• Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Just imagine a Sorkin written Star Trek series :eek: :)
    It would be freakin' incredible. :D

There was a Trek book "Articles of the Federation" dubbed as West Wing meets Star Trek but it was booooooring.

Which actually brings me to a question I've pondered a while... I wonder why there haven't been any novelisations of The West Wing? There's a decent enough fan base and probably some of them would be interested in books.

You could even have ones based in the Bartlett era and then those for his successor (keeping in spoiler free for those still catching up).
  • Options
    albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its on Sky on demand from 1st August. Showing in HD for the first time.
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started watching it again for at least the 3rd time yesterday. So much for all of my other box sets that I am still to watch :)
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    albundy73 wrote: »
    Its on Sky on demand from 1st August. Showing in HD for the first time.
    Interesting. I wonder if it'll be on Virgin Media too? (ie Sky's bit of it!)

Also, I wonder if there'll be a BD release at some point? (I wonder if it looks any better?)
    I've just started watching it again for at least the 3rd time yesterday.:)
    Only the third? So not that much of a fan then ;):p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I wonder if it'll be on Virgin Media too? (ie Sky's bit of it!)

Also, I wonder if there'll be a BD release at some point? (I wonder if it looks any better?)

Only the third? So not that much of a fan then ;):p:D
    lol. Seasons 1 to 3 I would say 3rd and 4 to 7 will be 4th maybe 5th
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be freakin' incredible. :D

There was a Trek book "Articles of the Federation" dubbed as West Wing meets Star Trek but it was booooooring.

Which actually brings me to a question I've pondered a while... I wonder why there haven't been any novelisations of The West Wing? There's a decent enough fan base and probably some of them would be interested in books.

You could even have ones based in the Bartlett era and then those for his successor (keeping in spoiler free for those still catching up).

I've always wondered that too. TWW created a huge fictional universe with many characters so there is a massive scope for a series of novels. We might even find out what happened to Mandy. ;-)

I can only assume it is a rights issue.
  • Options
    albundy73albundy73 Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the HD versions have only been made availiable through streaming services with no plans to release a Blu Ray version.

Does anyone know if seasons one and two were made in widescreen? I know my DVD's of these are 4:3. They were widescreen from season three onwards.
  • Options
    Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albundy73 wrote: »
    I think the HD versions have only been made availiable through streaming services with no plans to release a Blu Ray version.

Does anyone know if seasons one and two were made in widescreen? I know my DVD's of these are 4:3. They were widescreen from season three onwards.

The HD versions on Amazon Instant are all widescreen afaik.

Apparently the episodes are only 720p which I assume is how they were originally broadcast on NBC and explains why they don't really look all that much better than the DVD transfers.

The West Wing was filmed on 35mm though, so fingers crossed that Warner have held off the Blu-Ray release because they are going to remaster the show in 4k :cool:
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long has The West Wing been on Sky on demand box set in HD? Gonna Rewatch. Be interesting what happened to season three with the fake 2.35:1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    How long has The West Wing been on Sky on demand box set in HD? Gonna Rewatch. Be interesting what happened to season three with the fake 2.35:1

I noticed that they added that yesterday which is a result. I actually got up to midway through season 3. I believe it is available on demand until July 2017 which gives us plenty of time. ;-)

They have some decent box sets available right now. Currently watching six feet under when I get the opportunity.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There seemed to be two or three episodes missing from Series 1 on Sky Boxed Sets yesterday.

Really enjoyed the pilot once again. Don't they look young!
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that they added that yesterday which is a result. I actually got up to midway through season 3. I believe it is available on demand until July 2017 which gives us plenty of time. ;-)

They have some decent box sets available right now. Currently watching six feet under when I get the opportunity.

I wonder if it will be shown on Sky Atlantic at some point too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've nearly finished series 1. Well that didn't take me long, just shows what a great show it is. I have things recorded that I haven't seen yet, but can't seem to stop watching the West Wing and I know from past experience I will watch all the way through without getting bored.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    Off on a tangent slightly, it's amazing, when you watch all these Sorkin shows (Sports Night, WW, S60, The Newsroom), how often the same ideas, and even dialogue, pops up :)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just finished west wing forever via sky box sets

brilliant show, just gotta bump this for any future fans and say that i agree with majority when i say

s1-4 -great
    s5-poor
    s6-7 brilliant

i loved the election campaign that took over the final 2 seasons(i wont mention any names of candidates!) and even without sorkin this show really shone in the last 2 seasons

give it a try!
  • Options
    TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 6 and 7 were great, I always thought 7 suffered from the death of John ( Leo ) I always wanted to skip the last part of that season, he was my favourite character along with Toby who as it happens got wronged in that season

I must have watched the TWW over 10 times, Never get tired of it
  • Options
    Jim SJim S Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    One of the best shows ever I have watched it many times.
    I can't think of any Sorkin series I haven't liked, but have to agree that the same scripts seem to have been used a time or two almost word for word, but who cares :)
    The only other series I think stands side by side with it is NYPD Blue, again something I have watched many times.
    You cant beat class no matter how much poorly scripted pulp is churned out now a days.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it but never got beyond season 3 for some reason.

Loved all the characters but especially Josh and CJ.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does anyone know why toby was not in the last ever episode? problems with richard shiff?

also shame newsroom ended as that was magnificent.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    does anyone know why toby was not in the last ever episode? problems with richard shiff?

I don't know if there were issues but given the events of the final episode I'm not sure where they'd have fitted Toby in. He wouldn't have received an invite to the inauguration nor would he have been present at the White House which were pretty much the two focuses of the final episode. I guess it would have been nice for Schiff to be present but I'm not surprised he wasn't.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not necessarily the final episode, but overall, he has never seemed very happy with what they did with Toby.
    I think he would more likely have become a mass-murdering terrorist than to do what they had him do. I think somebody had what they thought was a really good idea and didn’t ask me. Aaron would have asked me. Aaron Sorkin would’ve talked it over to see how it bounced off of the character I was creating with him, but these people didn’t consider that important. I don’t blame them at all; I’m not angry at them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm, bar his exit scandal toby didnt have much to do after sorkin left from what i can remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alsoa t the start of s7 there is a scene where president bartlet meets his staff in a church hall or something in the futrue.

was this canned in the finale because of john spencers death?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsoa t the start of s7 there is a scene where president bartlet meets his staff in a church hall or something in the futrue.

was this canned in the finale because of john spencers death?

Dunno if it was intended to be picked up in the finale but Leo wasn't in that scene in Episode 1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ah ok, seems odd then, i guess its nice that we knoe they all remain friends i guess! i think toby was there.

and in hindsight how spooky that leo wasnt?