Options

Possible blocked iPhone 5s

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
Forum Member
Hi guys just a quick question for you regarding a iPhone 5s I've just purchased 2nd hand, as with all phones bought 2nd hand and still in contract you put yourself at risk of the original owner phoning up and getting the phone blocked either through the owner not paying up his contract or reporting it lost or stolen.

As the phone is only a few weeks old and still has all warranty options running with Apple, if I was to make out the phone was faulty and dropping calls etc and sent it back to apple, the chances are they would just send me another phone ( I know this as I've done it before) therefore a different phone comes with a different imei number,

So my question is, if the original phone owner did do this and decided to get the phone blocked one way or another, which lets be honest he could do and isn't unheard of, then surely when or if the network provider blocked the phone it will only block the phone that is no longer with me, as Apple would have sent me another. Just looking at options of covering myself as I would have one very unhappy father and teenager if it did become blocked.

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so your plan is to defraud apple in the event that the seller attempts to defraud you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    so your plan is to defraud apple in the event that the seller attempts to defraud you.

Seems legit :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks, there is a loophole in the apple system that allows you to even send blocked iphones back to apple as long as they are still in warrenty, you just make out the phone is faulty. They dont test them, they just send out refurbs. I dont see what your problem is, why should i possibly get stung by the original owner, when theres a loophole there for me to exploit.

Oh and let me add, apple have been defrauding people for years making iphones that are not capable of handling the latest operating system updates.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morphy69 wrote: »
    Oh and let me add, apple have been defrauding people for years making iphones that are not capable of handling the latest operating system updates.

That is the most ridiculous attempt at justification I think I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks, there is a loophole in the apple system that allows you to even send blocked iphones back to apple as long as they are still in warrenty, you just make out the phone is faulty. They dont test them, they just send out refurbs. I dont see what your problem is, why should i possibly get stung by the original owner, when theres a loophole there for me to exploit.

maybe don't buy something from someone if you suspect they are going to defraud you!

be sure to use that line of defence when the judge asks you :D

you've reminded me to get on the phone to Hyundai for selling me a car 5 years ago that can't take the latest technological updates... damn them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So when you've got a iphone 4s that works fine up until they update to ios 7, then thousands of 4s ( certain models ) wi-fi suddenly becomes greyed out and unable to switch on, because the motherboards heat up and cant handle what the operating system is asking it to do, resulting in the solder on the wifi chip becoming loose, thats not defrauding the customer as they accept no responsibility for it at all ? i suggest you read up in the apple forums. I simply asked a question, that if you don't know the answer to, I would prefer not for you to comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i suggest you read up in the apple forums. I simply asked a question, that if you don't know the answer to, I would prefer not for you to comment.

you asked the question, you got a response.
    whether you like that response is no concern of mine.

in reality what you really want is for people to agree with what you want to do....
    2 wrongs don't make a right.

you're buying a product that you suspect is going to be blocked by the seller or carrier.
    you then want to mitigate that by passing that potentially blocked device on to someone else which results in you getting a replacement device.

that's fraud.
    of course, if you think apple are such a scummy company then why would you even consider getting another apple device in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I simply asked a question, that if you don't know the answer to, I would prefer not for you to comment.

I can't answer either, but now I will just to annoy you.

Moderators decide who can or can't comment, not members who are posting on a public forum that is designed for discussions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dont know if it will get blocked it was bought from a lad locally, theres nothing wrong with the phone as such. But like I said one day in the next 2 years I suppose he could request the phone get blocked, if for example he does a insurance job on it. He might, he might not. I paid half the price of what the phone costs new, and with buying anything 2nd hand there are risks.

What I am saying is there is a loophole there allows you to send phones back to apple within the 1st year of there warranty. Therefore sending me another phone with a different imei number that wont be the same as the original phone. That was the question I was asking, would it or wouldnt. And the apple device is my sons not mine he likes them I dont. If you see that as fraud then so be it. We cant all be like you and be whiter than white. As to answering my question, you never did, you just started being mr lawyer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know if it will get blocked it was bought from a lad locally, theres nothing wrong with the phone as such. But like I said one day in the next 2 years I suppose he could request the phone get blocked, if for example he does a insurance job on it. He might, he might not. I paid half the price of what the phone costs new, and with buying anything 2nd hand there are risks.

What I am saying is there is a loophole there allows you to send phones back to apple within the 1st year of there warranty. Therefore sending me another phone with a different imei number that wont be the same as the original phone. That was the question I was asking, would it or wouldnt. And the apple device is my sons not mine he likes them I dont. If you see that as fraud then so be it. We cant all be like you and be whiter than white. As to answering my question, you never did, you just started being mr lawyer.

The loophole to which you prefer isn't a loophole at all. It's a company providing good customer service by replacing faulty handsets under warranty, rather than sending them away for repair. What you're planning to do is invent a fault so that you can get a replacement. This is because you've bought the phone on the cheap and are worried about the previous owner doing an 'insurance job'. And yet you're happy to do pretty much exactly the same thing to mitigate your own risk.

If you're okay with that, fine. But you can't expect everyone else to share your view. You asked the question, and you don't like it that you got answers you didn't want to hear.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP sure you carry on.

Does that help ease your mind?

If it helps you can also steal things from shops or people because that's why they have insurance.

If I give my actual opinion it will echo what others have said, you're basically trying to knowingly commit fraud.

/trying to find the facepalm icon......
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why buy a phone you suspect could have issues. If its too good to be true - probably is.

What happens if you can't carry out your plan and your stuck with a lemon? You happy for that risk?

Just saying before you shout at me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Haha clewsy I wont shout m8, I dont know if the original seller will or wont pay his bill or report it lost or stolen. He might not, the phone works perfectly. All I was thinking was covering my own bum by sending this phone back to apple while its under warrenty, with a make believe fault, so that they send me one that is a refurb and not new, but the handset will have another imei number. The phone I might send back would be stripped down and used for parts I suspect.

I bought the phone because it was a good deal, lots of folk sell their contract phones as they are happy with their old ones and it makes them a fast buck. I wasnt expecting a mass amount of people agreeing with what I am doing, but neither was I expecting to get replies from guys that wanna preach to me what I am doing wrong. All these folk that dont do I think wrong crack me up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasnt expecting a mass amount of people agreeing with what I am doing, but neither was I expecting to get replies from guys that wanna preach to me what I am doing wrong. All these folk that dont do I think wrong crack me up.

you haven't had anyone agreeing with you so far.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how everyone is attacking the OP for trying to get out of a situation when he was first defrauded by someone else...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Funny how everyone is attacking the OP for trying to get out of a situation when he was first defrauded by someone else...

He hasn't been defrauded by someone else. He's bought a secondhand phone, fears he's going to be defrauded, and is planning to defraud a company instead to mitigate his own risk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I don't get why everybody is being so serious about this situation, personally I and so would probably anybody you ask (except awkward people), would do as the OP has said and just get a new model from apple to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well maybe some of us have more scruples than others :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

even if the OP has been defrauded (which he/she hasn't been), the correction action to take is to not then defraud someone else. it is to report it as a fraud via the proper channels.
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    even if the OP has been defrauded (which he/she hasn't been),
    Uhh yes he has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uhh yes he has.

no he hasn't.
    i suggest you go back and read the opening post again, very carefully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is what it is guys, I can understand there are some people out there that are whiter than white, and who have never done any wrong doing in their lives. But hey oh we can't all be perfect. As I have said before and will say again, the phone as it stands works fantastic, I've took the risk of buying someone's contract phone, like hundred of thousands of other people do. The seller wanted some cash and still uses his old phone, so his choice was to sell his iPhone 5s , and that's where I stepped in and bought it for my lad. I payed very good money for it.

Unfortunately the one thing I am not in control of is whether 6 months or 1 year down the line the seller decides he don't want to pay his contract any more, or maybe he claims it's lost or stolen, so that he can claim a new one, either way the phone becomes blocked and can't be used. As I stated in my 1st post there is a way of sending it back to apple within its warranty and getting a refurb phone from them with a new imei number, which will of course be different from the handset that might get blocked at a later date. In turn this makes the refurb phone free from ever getting blocked by the original owner. It might be Fraud in your eyes maybe but not in mine, I could live with lieing to Apple,

All I want is some answers, and not to be trolled upon by some folk that sit on these forums all day looking to right people for their wrongs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I want is some answers, and not to be trolled upon by some folk that sit on these forums all day looking to right people for their wrongs.

you don't want answers though, and having read your opening post again, you actually didn't ask a question.

what you want is for people to justify you actions.
    you will do what you need to do.

also, you need to look up the definition of a troll as you seem to have a misunderstanding of what it means.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You've had answers. You've been told that fraud is a criminal offence - and I'd rather hope that some people on here don't just commit fraud on a regular basis. The 'whiter than white' stuff is nonsense. How many other laws do you break then?

What you're after is reassurance. You only want people to say it's a good idea and that they'd do it too. Hell, you want everyone to say 'Yeah we all do that'.

If the phone is fine, keep it. If it suddenly got blocked, report the seller for committing a crime and let the police deal with it.

As long as you can prove ownership of the phone, and I assume you have a receipt from the seller, then a locked phone could be unlocked. Therefore there's no need to break the law.