Nigel Farage says German wife is not taking Briton's job

David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Oh this is fun.... 2 minutes of bang-on-the-money questioning and shambolic responses.
The leader of the UK Independence Party, Nigel Farage, was asked whether his wife, who is German, was taking a British person's job by being employed as his secretary.

BBC political editor Nick Robinson put the question at the launch of UKIP's European elections poster campaign warning about Europeans taking British jobs.

Mr Farage said "nobody else could do that job", working unsociable hours seven days a week.

He said it was "very different" to the hundreds of thousands of people "flooding" the lower end of the labour market.

Steaming great hypocrite. JMO obv.

Comments

• SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being a secretary isn't within the lower end of the labour market?
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Robinson 1 **** rage 0
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha that's funny - but doesn't stop the wider point from being true.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to distract from what Farage is saying.

Lower end Labour market. Why are the BBC and Sky News trying to defend uncontrolled mass immigration?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a secretary isn't within the lower end of the labour market?

Maybe, but being Farage's wife certainly is :)
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Expect the Ukippers out in force crying this is a 'desperate establishment smear' by the 'lefty BBC'.

Tip for UKIP: it's only a smear if it's not true.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, people complaining about immigration and jobs are more focused on immigrants depressing wages because they come from much poorer countries. It's not quite the same argument if you're talking about people coming from Germany, France, Scandinavia etc.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    To be fair, people complaining about immigration and jobs are more focused on immigrants depressing wages because they come from much poorer countries. It's not quite the same argument if you're talking about people coming from Germany, France, Scandinavia etc.
    Exactly. I don't know how people can't see this. And its the sheer volume of people from those poor countries.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D

Well if having to bonk the Kryten spare head look-a-like is part of the job description for being his secretary I doubt there will be long lines forming round the block to apply....and if they were they'd be a bunch of over 65 white ladies called Peggy from Eastbourne which as we all know is the No 1 target of the international Slavic conspiracy to take over Britain
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D

Well if having to bonk the Kryten spare head look-a-like is part of the job description for being his secretary I doubt there will be long lines forming round the block to apply....and if they were they'd be a bunch of over 65 white ladies called Peggy from Eastbourne which as we all know is the No 1 target of the international Slavic conspiracy to take over Britain

:D:D:D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But UKIP's poster campaign doesn't discriminate - it posits that all non-British EU citizens can take our jobs. Mrs Farage is apparently one of them.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    But UKIP's poster campaign doesn't discriminate - it posits that all non-British EU citizens can take our jobs. Mrs Farage is apparently one of them.

If that's the best the establishment can throw at him, that his wife works for him, then they are in serious trouble.

Almost reminds me of some of the no campaign for the scottish referendum.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    Oh this is fun.... 2 minutes of bang-on-the-money questioning and shambolic responses.

Steaming great hypocrite. JMO obv.

That's what I thought but another issue does as well - if the hours are that long - is he keeping within the Working Time Directive? If he is then the hours are not that long and if he is not then even a German lady is not required to keep such hours.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Trying to distract from what Farage is saying.

Lower end Labour market. Why are the BBC and Sky News trying to defend uncontrolled mass immigration?

Standard devils advocate questions for political interviews
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Expect the Ukippers out in force crying this is a 'desperate establishment smear' by the 'lefty BBC'.

Tip for UKIP: it's only a smear if it's not true.

Lets just wait for the polls. The last UKIP scandal, EU allowance, made zero impact on the polls.

Why don't people understand, that in many cases, people are not voting for UKIP but against the big three Westminster elite, that don't care what the voters want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets just wait for the polls. The last UKIP scandal, EU allowance, made zero impact on the polls.

Why don't people understand, that in many cases, people are not voting for UKIP but against the big three Westminster elite, that don't care what the voters want.

Like me, although in the GE I wouldn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    If that's the best the establishment can throw at him, that his wife works for him, then they are in serious trouble.

Almost reminds me of some of the no campaign for the scottish referendum.

Nick Clegg already did that the other week - ranting and raving about how the UK needs the clout and influence of the EU and requires EU membership for job security. He basically just re-hashed the exact same arguments he has against Scottish independence. It amazes me that UKIP (and some UKIPers here) reject Clegg's arguments when it comes to the EU but apparently embrace them when he applies them to Scotland. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A poster isn't going to include caveats is it. It's a poster.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A poster isn't going to include caveats is it. It's a poster.

Yes, "EU Citizens want YOUR JOBS" wouldn't look quite as serious if it had an asterisk with *We're not counting the party leader's European wife here, though. Oh, or any Germans, Scandinavians or French either - they're OK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick Clegg already did that the other week - ranting and raving about how the UK needs the clout and influence of the EU and requires EU membership for job security. He basically just re-hashed the exact same arguments he has against Scottish independence. It amazes me that UKIP (and some UKIPers here) reject Clegg's arguments when it comes to the EU but apparently embrace them when he applies them to Scotland. :confused:

Be that as it may, attacking Farage for using his wife is about as inept and out of ideas as you can get. What robinson did was attack the man not the policy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be that as it may, attacking Farage for using his wife is about as inept and out of ideas as you can get. What robinson did was attack the man not the policy.

Love the BiB. :o

However, I don't think Robinson was actually attacking policy - he was attacking the message behind the poster, which Farage doesn't apparently subscribe to (or he does, but with obvious exceptions which see him deem it ok for some EU citizens to take our jobs).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like me, although in the GE I wouldn't.

I have to admit, voting UKIP in May and watching Cameron, Miliband and Clegg squirm in horror will be intensely satisfying. :D

The more dirt the Westminster's journalists and politicians throw at UKIP, the more the public thinks what fun it will be to rub their faces in it. No one really takes the European elections seriously anyway, so what have they got to lose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit, voting UKIP in May and watching Cameron, Miliband and Clegg squirm in horror will be intensely satisfying. :D

The more dirt the Westminster's journalists and politicians throw at UKIP, the more the public thinks what fun it will be to rub their faces in it.
    No one really takes the European elections seriously anyway, so what have they got to lose.

I must not be a member of the public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must not be a member of the public.

I mean an ordinary member of the public, not someone that hangs out on politics forums like you and me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, "EU Citizens want YOUR JOBS" wouldn't look quite as seriously if it had an asterisk with *We're not counting the party leader's European wife here, though. Oh, or any Germans, Scandinavians or French either - they're OK.

That is not a poster worthy bitesize titbit.