iPod Help: Adding WMA Files and the time it takes!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I recently bought myself an iPod Classic (120GB) and until recently, only added mp3’s and whatever I bought from iTunes. However, last week I decided to add some CDs from my collection (about 150 or so) but when I was adding them all, it took about SEVENTEEN hours for the WMA files to convert. There’s nothing I can do about that now, but will I have to go through the same lengthy process every time I update my iPod? Also - and this is coming from an iPod novice! - do I have to add ALL the songs again, or can I add TO them? Pardon my ignorance!

Thanks.

PS: I should add those CDs were stored on my hard drive. I know I can put them directly onto iTunes, but I didn't fancy doing 150 CDs one after another! :D

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WMA files must be converted to format ipod can play (AAC or MP3). It's a one time thing. BTW depending on compression of your WMA files, it might be a good idea to get those CDs out. That way there would be only one lossy compression. Unless your WMA files have lossless compression, but even if no, it's up to you to tell if you can hear a difference and if it matters. You may look around if you can find faster converter from WMA to MP3 or AAC, maybe you can save some time if it won't do the conversion. I know MP4 video conversion is slow in itunes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV: many thanks for your advice :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I'd re-rip all your CDs with Windows Media Player. Change the rip codec to mp3, 320 bitrate. That way it will be compatible with all future players you get. It'd probably be no slower than converting the wma files to iTunes' AAC format, and you'd end up with better quality.