Census "It's the law"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    767pilot wrote: »
    Received mine today.

Something nice to line the rabbit hutch with. So much better than the Daily Mail. 'Soft, Strong and thoroughly absorbant'

I don't think ordinary copy paper (like the census form) is very good at all. Your poor rabbit will be sitting in his own wee. Why not invest in some proper wood shavings and make his bottom comfortable?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Perhaps a silly questions here, but help would be appreciated. I'm 19, a student and I live in 'private halls', so halls that are not owned by the University, during term time. I go home most weekends. Do I just get included in my home one, or do I do one for my Uni address? Sorry to sound niave!
  • PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Delphia wrote: »
    Perhaps a silly questions here, but help would be appreciated. I'm 19, a student and I live in 'private halls', so halls that are not owned by the University, during term time. I go home most weekends. Do I just get included in my home one, or do I do one for my Uni address? Sorry to sound niave!

It's wherever you are staying on the night of the Census. If you're at home on that date then you're counted there.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Funny I thought census results were supposed to be confidential for a100 years. Yet previous collectors seem happy to state information (albeit unidentifiable) they've found out about people on here. Makes you wonder what they say to friends and family....
    Can you give an example of that? I can only remember FMs saying something about what they've found in old censuses – those more than 100 years old.
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hilarious, where do you come up with these original and witty retorts?

Master Yoda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    What actually is "all the other intrusive stuff" that you object to? I've asked a similar question several times, and no one ever seems to come up with very much. A few FMs have objected to the health question and for some reason don't want to say whether their health is very good, good, fair, etc, but other than that some people just have a feeling that the census contains "intrusive stuff" but don't really seem to know what it is.

You say of the ONS: "Very good, except they're lying. The census is not the only means of producing the information." No, it isn't the only way, and the ONS hasn't claimed that it is. What they do say is that at present it's the best way:

No doubt some of the information collected in the census could be acquired from other sources, and that may perhaps be what will happen in the future. However, the census does provide an opportunity to collect disparate items of information in a coherent form, and setting up an alternative system for doing that might not be as quick and simple as some people seem to imagine.

I can see no good reason for refusing to spend the few minutes needed to complete the census form, either on paper or online.

Frankly I don't think it is any business of thre government who might by sleeping in my home on a particular night of the year.

I object to the government insisting that I divulge this to them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    [QUOTE=Castanet;48635624

I agree with you with regard to your second paragraph - why else would they require details of your employer/former employer?

To see if you're employed??

I still don't see why I should disclose the name of the company by whom I am employed. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Castanet wrote: »
    valkay wrote: »

I still don't see why I should disclose the name of the company by whom I am employed. :rolleyes:

Neither do I as if you're legally employed the government already have this information stored on HMRC computers. As do the banks, the credit card companies, etc. etc.

Received a Census for at our office today which is in a residential area. Spent about 30 minutes listening to menus of frequently asked questions before I eventually got through to a real human being. Took all the details down, put me on hold for 10 minutes, came back told me to hold on whilst she keyed what I'd told her into the computer, then told me they would have to send someone to look around the premises to make sure we really were a business.

Surely they should know which addresses are businesses?
    :confused:
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    Frankly I don't think it is any business of thre government who might by sleeping in my home on a particular night of the year.

Theoretically at least, you might be divulging all your private information to the US government too.

The company in charge of conducting the data capture for the Census is Lockheed Martin, a US company which does all the intelligence gathering contracts for the US government. They also did the 2001 Census.

The US government could force them to hand over all the data under the terms of the US Patriot Act if it felt it needed it on the grounds of national security, such as wishing to screen all Britons on arrival at their borders in case someone was a 'terrorist'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ribtickle wrote: »
    Theoretically at least, you might be divulging all your private information to the US government too.

The company in charge of conducting the data capture for the Census is Lockheed Martin, a US company which does all the intelligence gathering contracts for the US government. They also did the 2001 Census.

The US government could force them to hand over all the data under the terms of the US Patriot Act if it felt it needed it on the grounds of national security, such as wishing to screen all Britons on arrival at their borders in case someone was a 'terrorist'.

Yes I was aware of that - in fact I think I commented on it on another thread back when they were awarded the contract.

People don't seem to care though :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know what Q17 was supposed to be? It seems really odd to say 'The question has been deleted' or words to that effect. Why not just take out the whole bit where it said Q17 and renumber? Unless it was edited after it was published?
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone know what Q17 was supposed to be? It seems really odd to say 'The question has been deleted' or words to that effect. Why not just take out the whole bit where it said Q17 and renumber? Unless it was edited after it was published?
    This was posted earlier in the thread:
    Question 17

This question is blank

Why is question 17 blank?

Question 17 is blank in England.

We aim to keep the England and Wales questionnaires as consistent as possible. Question 17 is about the Welsh language and is only included on the questionnaire in Wales. This question is not required in both countries, so a space has been left.

17 February 2011
    http://2011.census.gov.uk/en/index.php?content_id=1605

In Wales I believe the question reads:
    17 Can you understand, speak, read or write Welsh?

• Understand spoken Welsh
    • Speak Welsh
    • Read Welsh
    • Write Welsh
    • None of the above
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ons.gov.uk%2Fcensus%2F2011-census%2F2011-census-questionnaire-content%2F2011-census-questions---wales.pdf&rct=j&q=census%202011%20Can%20you%20understand%2C%20speak%2C%20read%20or%20write%20Welsh%3F&ei=MqB2TaewD4KEhQfw6PSLBw&usg=AFQjCNG8MMy25jTIZPy14TqAXx9i3HPqvg&cad=rja

Presumably the idea would be to tick all the options that applied.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Anybody else getting the prodigy song "Their Law" thumping in your head.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »

I won't be here on that night, there will be no one here apart from my cat.

Where I am staying I will not be added, for reasons I can't say. So i will not be on the census again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    If I tell outright lies on the census form, such as that I am 114 years old, female, straight (oh, they aren't actually asking about sexual orientation even in 2011, some census this is), married, and a fitness coach who is an islamic fundamentalist, is there any penalty for doing so.

The whole point of the census, they say, is to deliver services based on the population which will use them. So sexual-orientation has been totally wiped off the demographic map and is considered irrelevant? I know some people would lie about it or refuse to answer it, but at least offer the option for us to state it.

Would I go to jail for making total lies on the form? Do they actually cross-reference replies with other sources or just assume what you say is correct?
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexual orientation was left off because they didn't believe people would tell the truth or people would find the question too intrusive and seeing as people on here don't want to tell the government if they have central heating or not I can see why the question has been left off
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,550
    Forum Member
    I'll probably fill it out anyway, but what's the history of people getting fined? Do they actually enforce the threats?
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    If I tell outright lies on the census form, such as that I am 114 years old, female, straight (oh, they aren't actually asking about sexual orientation even in 2011, some census this is), married, and a fitness coach who is an islamic fundamentalist, is there any penalty for doing so.

The whole point of the census, they say, is to deliver services based on the population which will use them. So sexual-orientation has been totally wiped off the demographic map and is considered irrelevant? I know some people would lie about it or refuse to answer it, but at least offer the option for us to state it.

Would I go to jail for making total lies on the form? Do they actually cross-reference replies with other sources or just assume what you say is correct?

you will not go to jail, you could in theory get a fine, but the chance of that is almost zero. How are they going to check it for a start?

I bet there will be lots of people who will not tell the truth on the census, certainly if they are somewhere they are not suppose to be.

If I decide I can be bothered to fill it in I will put a load of lies on it.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the whole point of this so called census . is to spy on people.
    The govr wants to know the following
    1 do yu have anyone in the house that is not on the poll tax list
    2 foreigners and british citizens who have foreign illegal people living there.
    3 unemployed but doing the odd job or illegal voluntering job for a family member.
    If any of the above " we will get you" !
    Its big brother at its worse and i be surprised this is not the last cencus. likely to be another in about ten years time,with the govt telling everyone(lieing) that this is the last census. There is still information that they can get by any other means. maybe they should be more interested in those "travellers " who sponge on us. ohh i forgot its against there human rights.
  • v0idv0id Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jswift909 wrote: »
    Just got mine today.

For those who want to jump up and down the question on Religion is:

Q 20. What is your religion?

No Religion
    Christian (including Church of England, Catholic, Protestant and all other Christian denominations)
    Buddhist
    Hindu
    Jewish
    Muslim
    Sikh
    Any other religion, write in _________________

whats wrong with that?

Maybe because it should read:

Christianity not chrisitans
    Buddhism not buddhists
    Hinduism not hindus
    Islam not muslims
    Judaism not jewish
    Sikhism not sikhs

as it stands now it's just offensive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    Do they do background checks on people to make sure the information on the census forms is correct?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Just checked my mailbox now, the form arrived today. Undecided about how to answer it though.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the whole point of this so called census . is to spy on people.
    The govr wants to know the following
    1 do yu have anyone in the house that is not on the poll tax list
    2 foreigners and british citizens who have foreign illegal people living there.
    3 unemployed but doing the odd job or illegal voluntering job for a family member.
    If any of the above " we will get you" !
    Its big brother at its worse and i be surprised this is not the last cencus. likely to be another in about ten years time,with the govt telling everyone(lieing) that this is the last census. There is still information that they can get by any other means. maybe they should be more interested in those "travellers " who sponge on us. ohh i forgot its against there human rights.

I do not understand your post

1. what poll tax?
    2. who is going to admit to having 'illegals' living with them?
    3. who is going to admit to doing odd jobs if they are unemployed?
  • EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie2008 wrote: »
    Do they do background checks on people to make sure the information on the census forms is correct?

if they do then that is another reason to make everyone mad about it - why bother actually trying to make people fill it in when they can find out this information themselves anyway?

I doubt they'd have any idea if you just put in believeable lies about the less obvious things (I imagine they can get your basic details easy enough). I'm pretty sure that is what a large amount of people do anyway, which is why the census is generally worthless.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have just completed mine - it took about 5 minutes. I only answered the questions I wanted to answer.